iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Advice needed on shagbark hickory

Started by Clark, December 31, 2009, 02:51:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clark

Over the Christmas holiday I was at the in-laws in SE Wisconsin.  Several weeks prior to my arrival they had a nice storm drop 12" of snow which took down most of one particular shagbark hickory.  So my father-in-law wisely waited until someone younger came along to help take it down (it was a great widow maker and this old boy was sweating bullets taking that thing down).

So now they have a shagbark hickory in their yard that has had ~95% of it's leaves/limbs removed.  It's about 25' tall, 12" dbh and has some branches at the top.  In any other situation I would have recommended the ground level pruning and be done with it.  Life is not so easy though.  This particular tree was shading their pond which helped keep it algae free and they like their pond algae free.

My initial thought was to leave it be and hopefully over several years the remaining branches and new epicormic branches would form a new crown providing the desired shade for the pond.  After doing some reading it almost sounds like shagbark may not readily grow epicormic branches (?) in which case this tree is probably soon gone.  The other option was to cut it down and hope for stump or root sprouts but it sounds like trees larger than 10" dbh don't produce many (if any) stump sprouts.

I have no experience with shagbark hickory so I'm pretty clueless as to how this tree will respond over the next several years.  Any advice?

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

bill m

If it is not in a location that it is a hazard to people or property I would leave it for now. The root system is intact so it should put on a lot of new growth the next few years. Just watch it  and if it is declining take it down then.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

SwampDonkey

Don't know much about shagbark. But, sounds like it's suckering habit is similar to our sugar maple in so far as they will hardly resprout from the stump when mature. Red maple or basswood on the other hand will sucker be darned. Basswood would also recover from a heavy pruning.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Clark

I get the feeling that I overestimated the number of urban foresters on this site!  Anyone else with experience with shagbark?

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

beenthere

With that feeling, what were you looking for? I have experience with shagbark hickory, but didn't read anything into what you posted that was much more than your observations. How can we help?

Near as I can tell, you arrived and didn't help take it down? Or did you just clean up the downed branches? Are you waiting for advice to go back and cut it down at the stump? Or going to try to save the tree for its shade?   

Help us out here.   8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Reddog

QuoteSo now they have a shagbark hickory in their yard that has had ~95% of it's leaves/limbs removed

Based on this and the fact that Hickory tends to rot very quickly at any damaged area my thought would be to remove it. If you want to wait a year and see what response happens, seems logical. But heart rot is hard to see most times until failure reveals it.

And to be honest you have asked an Arborist question more than a Forester question. ;)

WDH

If the snow just broke a good many of the limbs off, it might put back out and recover.  Like Reddog said, give it a year and see what happens.  If it does not do well, then take it down.  I am pulling for the little shagbark  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

OneWithWood

My experience with the hickories is that they do not rebound well to damage, especially extensive damage.

I would guess that you have about five years before the tree fails of its own accord.  If it were my pond I would be planting a faster growing tree like a red maple to provide interim shade and a more slowly growing tree like an oak to provide shade on down the road.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

woodmills1

I think one with wood just gave you good info
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Phorester

Yep, plant a replacement right now.  Rule of thumb for pruning a tree is to not take off more than 25% in one year. More than that and the tree doesn't have enough leaves to manufacture enough food to keep it alive.  With 95% of the branches removed from this hickory, it won't last many more years.  Even if it does sprout from the stump, stump sprouts are subject to rot.  A newly planted tree isn't.  And of course you can place it exactly where you want a tree.

DirtForester

Any tree with that much crown damage will die in due course.  Time to start over.
If it's a good tree, grow it!
www.smithandwessonforums.com

WDH

Keep us posted on the status of the shagbark.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!