iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Breaker Popping

Started by Kirk_Allen, January 04, 2006, 06:39:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kirk_Allen

After upgrading my Accuset, transducer and a new up/down motor (all factory installed) I came home with the mill and have cut almost every day and have been haveing a very strange problem.   

I have duplicated it EVERY DAY for the last 6 days.

First thing in the morning it always does it.  Turn the key to #2 and you will hear a click then the breaker pops on the right side for the up/down.  When you reset the breaker the accuset screen goes blank and reboots.  When it comes back up the same click and the breaker pops. 

If I turn the key to #3 it DOES NOT pop the breaker.  What is really strange is that after turning the key to #3 I can now go to #2 position and the breaker does not pop. 

If the breaker is popped and I start the engine I can reset the breaker, then the screen reboots and it WONT pop again.  For some reason it seems to only do this after sitting for some time. 

I have not gotten any error messages at all so not sure what to point to. 

I cant think of anything else to tell you on this other than It seems to be only doing it when the key is in the #2 position (turned to the right).  After paying CLOSE attention its only a problem after sitting for a long period of time (4 or more hrs) and only in the #2 key position.

I spoke with Sparks today and we are working on a fix but thought I would post the event here so that the information will be captured as to what finally fixes this STRANGE problem.

I have to wait untill the morning but first test is to disconnect the main 12v lead from the drum switch that goes to the 12vdc MOFSET board.  Sparks had me dicsonect it at the MOFSET board as its much easier to do there.  Now we have to wait till morning and see if the problem still exists. 

If it still popps the breaker then the next step is to diconnect the red wire on the ACC side of the key that goes to the filter that was installed with the new accuset board. 

If neither of those things leads us to a fix Sparks is going to get to play with it in person.  I will drop it off on my way to FL Saturday morning. 

Ironwood

Sounds to me like it's all way too complicated for this country boy. You lost me several times with your acronims(sic) alone. Good luck fancy smancy saw guy.  ;D

Reid
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Randy

It sounds like you have a weak breaker---------or a under rated breaker for your "Deal". I know nothing about Accuset, but if it has capacitors that has to charge when it turns on and they will slowly bleed off after the machine is turned off-----------they work similiar to a electric motor start up---------draw alot for a second-------I might be in the wrong boat------------But its just a thought. Good Luck!! Randy

Minnesota_boy

Reid,
Would the problems with the acronyms go away if I told you that the MOSFET was the short version of Metalic Oxide Semiconductor Field Effect Transistor?  It just means an electronic switch that uses very little current to control a very large (relative) current, much like a relay but with no wear points.  It gets more complicated than that, but that's for someone else toexplain.  :D
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Percy

Quote from: Minnesota_boy on January 04, 2006, 07:52:28 PM
Reid,
Would the problems with the acronyms go away if I told you that the MOSFET was the short version of Metalic Oxide Semiconductor Field Effect Transistor?  It just means an electronic switch that uses very little current to control a very large (relative) current, much like a relay but with no wear points.  It gets more complicated than that, but that's for someone else toexplain.  :D
uhhhhhh, could you repeat that from...uhhh.... the listen carefully part?? :D :D :D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Minnesota_boy

Maybe it would be a bit closer if I called it the electronic version of a throttle valve, because you cn run it part way closed too.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

VA-Sawyer

MB - Yes you can run MOSFETs in resistance mode but, watch the Power Dissapation. One of the big advantages if a MOSFET is its low ON resistance. Better to use them in switching mode with PWM for 'throttle control'

Reid - I used to work aviation in the summer/fall and do taxes for H&R Block in the winter/spring....talk about acronym overload.

Kirk - I think Randy is on the right track. The bled off caps in the filter are causing a surge and popping the breaker. May need to put a choke in front of the filter.
VA-Sawyer

bull

I had a similar problem....  Pull the main cable at the underside of the beam the one w/ 32 wires in it. if you see some light rust you found it.. clean it.  spray w/ wire dryer etc. Mine was replaced in my 6th month and haven't had a problem since....  All my breaker problems were caused by moisture problem if the mill wasn't run for 3-4 days.

Ironwood

The bi-polar molecular ozmosis that is generated by the amount of glass exposed to the wind at the front of the van allows the monkies to crawl up from the undercarriage of the vehical,...........Oh wait that was one of the wacked out troubled teens trying to keep me awake while driving in the middle of the night on our way to Canada one year, ..........Sorry, now back to our regularly scheduled program. Reid :o
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Thank You Sponsors!