iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Engine Selection help for belsaw M 14

Started by tmroper, March 18, 2010, 12:07:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tmroper

I have had my mill set up on the pto of my tractor and am thinking of use a gas engine I know that tripp powers his mill with a power plant so maybe he will also chime in.  I am trying to find some thing that will work from the junkyard what are you guys opinions on what size to look for and how to rig it up.  I apologize if there is another post on this subject.

Thanks

captain_crunch

My Bellsaw was once ran off a Ford 6 out of a forklift. I would look at an Industrial bone yard beings these engines generaly have a Govenor set up all ready. I have a Crysler slant 6 out of an old swather I have been thinking about. But other than tying up a tractor my Ford 3000 does a good job for me.
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

Tripp

Tmroper,

As you know I power my mill with an early 70's  inline Toyota six cylinder. I have the engine placed on the opposite side of the mill from the sawyer. That way there is no stepping over a drive shaft or walking around a motor to get to the output end of the mill. The problem I had was that the motor turned in the wrong direction. To solve this problem I am running the mill off of the front driveshaft output on the transfer case.

These engines are not known for high horsepower, but they are heavy cast iron beasts with a heavy flywheel and alot of torque. An engine with a governor would be a big plus. I would say look for somthing similar, but think about engine placement an the direction the output will be turning. A good indicator of motor rotation is to look at the radiator fan. If it is connected directly to the crank by a belt you can probably tell what direction the motor spins.

I would certainly not rule out a diesel of some sort.

Tripp

bandmiller2

TM,as cap crunch alluded to your better off with an industrial engine or a big old tractor engine.Many times an old tractor with bad rubber or transmission problems can be had reasonable move it and block it up to the mill.I assume you want a gasoline engine to start easier in the winter, a diesel is a big step up and can be started easily with a block heater.My own favorite engines come out of old cable shovels and backhoes their a complete unit with clutch.Generaters,pumps,and construction equipment are the types of engine you want, long stroke high torque with a governor.If you settle on a auto engine older in line 6 cyl are a good choice.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

uncle kenn

i run my belsaw with an older 6 cyl. jd combine engine 70 hp and seems to be more than is needed. i have vmy engine mounted overhead above the mill and have twin v-belts to the mill from the engine.  it takes some looking to find the right size sheaves but mine seems to be the  right ratio from engine to arbor to get all the speed and power that i need to run 40 in to 52 in saw

apm

Gasoline engines are not usually the best choice for power units. Governing them is sometimes difficult, but critical to their performance. They use much more fuel, have a narrower torque band and usually have to run much faster to achieve their optimum output. Never trade horsepower for torque on a power unit. I sawed for a while with a 327 chevy (dump truck engine), theoretically much higher horsepower than my tractor, but the tractor was a much more satisfactory power source, at only 40 hp, but high torque. I bought a power unit last fall from Warren, a forum member, and am in the process of getting it all hooked up. It's a Deutz 6 cylinder turbocharged, air cooled diesel. Rated at 135 horsepower, but at 1650 rpm it's got 390 foot pounds of torque. It's gonna be sweet!

Your power requirements are directly related to your saw. The larger the diameter and tooth count (number of teeth in the log at any given time) the higher the power requirement. One of the 40" saws with 21 teeth that were originally shipped with the Belsaw mills consume minimal power. That's how Belsaw got their reputation for low power requirements. When guys like us change to larger, toothier saws, all of the original design engineering goes out the window. Over the years I've had two different gasoline units and two different diesel units hooked to my Belsaw. You'd have a hard time convincing me to try gasoline again. But then again, whatever works for you is great!

Greg
Timberking 1600 now

Stan snider

tmroper; Considering where you are a combine engine would be my choice. They already have sheave grooves cut into the flywheel and have the best governor system available, even gas engines. An allis-chalmers 301 diesel would be great. They were in later model F Gleaners, early to mid 70's. Around 80 Hp with no turbo, but other turbo'd models will put out up to 120.(M2) They are tough, easy to work on,  inexpensive and real smooth running. You may need a jackshaft to get the rpm range you need or rotation change. You can probably find  what you need in someones fencerow.  Swathers are a wealth of pulluys and shafts.  Good luck;   Stan

coastlogger

A belt driven governor will keep an automotive gas engine at speed just fine in my experience. Google belt driven governor for all kinds of info. Prob get one for under $200 new, less or ? at a wrecker.
Im pretty sure that 99.9% of automotive engines  and for that matter most industrial engines turn one way and thats clockwise looking at the water pump non flywheel end. This of course is the WRONG way for a standard Belsaw unless you get creative with a twisted belt or engine mounted backwards somehow which can be and is often done.Also a marine transmission which typically includes a reduction gear does, unlike a car trans,reverse the direction of the output shaft. Thus marine is GOOD for Belsaw driving.
Not real familiar with agricultural,maybe there are more LH engines in that field.
I was told once that a Detroit diesel  ie 3/71, 4/71 etc can be made to run in either direction with very little difficulty,not sure what exactly that meant;obviously the starter is different and Id think the camshaft too but not sure.
Thats my bolt
clgr
clgr

bandmiller2

TM,next time you see your local fire chief ask him who refurbishes fire trucks in your area.They pull naturally asperated diesels and upgrade to turbos,usally they can be had reasonable.As Coastlogger says most engines are right handers,wrong way for a Belsaw thats why a large old farm tractor is such a good choice it's PTO turns the way you want.Around the coasts left hand engines are common,part of a twin screw setup.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Thank You Sponsors!