iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

664 Clark skidder has bad vibration

Started by stobbe, March 15, 2019, 01:02:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stobbe

Hi, my 664 Clark skidder has a bad vibration in it. Has a 353 Detroit. Vibrates at idle, most at 30% throttle, not as bad at full throttle. Vibration in the whole front half of skidder, hand controls, seat, frame, blade etc... vibrates when moving or not moving. Engine mount bolts are tight ( always have been steel on steel). Engine running strong. Pulleys and fan blades look good. Any ideas would be awesome 

kiko

I would first remove the winch shaft to see if the vibration stays.  It's been a while so is the torque converter divorced or not from the transmission.
The torque converter pilot can cause vibration issue and will  lead to fiber gear failure.  

cutbank

is the vibration happening all the time if not check your transmission fluid level, mine will vibrate when cold. the charge pump will sound like its cavitating until its warmed up. Its trying to force thick transmission fluid through transmission filter. 

stobbe

The torque converter is off engine, then a drive shaft that goes to transmission, then drive shaft to winch. I'll give it a try.                             It vibrates when the transmission is warm too

OntarioAl

stobbe
isolate the transmission from the torque converter (disconnect drive shaft)
If the vibration goes away its a transmission problem if not then its a torque converter issue as kiko says
Cheers
Al
Al Raman

stobbe

Ok, i disconnected the drive shaft and it still vibrates. Seems like the hydraulic pump has the most vibration 

longtime lurker

Run the full series of flow tests - where to set the guages and operating pressure ranges can be found in the manual - that will help isolate what is or isn't working.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Ford_man

kiko

Now swing the torque converter out.  You will likely see the issue with torque pilot and or fiber gear.

stobbe

The hydraulic pump connections were tight. The fiber gear is good. Torque converter had some fine metal shavings in it. The drive shaft will not pull through the torque converter. Is there a trick for getting the shaft out?

kiko

The yolk has to be removed.  All torque converter pieces must be removed. Then baffle plate and stator shaft. Then the shaft can be removed.  Be sure the pilot is snug in the flywheel .  Did you by chance fire the engine with the converter off?  

stobbe

Ok, thanks. I did not start the engine when the torque converter was off

Thank You Sponsors!