iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

IKE---Yike!

Started by Qweaver, September 12, 2008, 10:08:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Qweaver

Well, it looks like Ike is going to hit us full bore in Texas City.  We may get severe damage.  My daughter has done as much as she can and headed north.  Some of our friends are going to stay and I wish them the best.  This could be a bad one.  And how about this rain band from north Texas to Vermont.  We need the rain but maybe not this much.
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Faron

, I was wishing for a good rain yesterday. Well, we got it, 4 inches altogether.   8)  Now , typical farmer, I am hoping we don't get too much from Ike, but it looks like we are in his sights.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

tcsmpsi

My most pronounced problem with major hurricanes coming into the Texas coast, is that the "evacuation corridor", Hwy 146 is right in front of the shop, no one can get in or out of the parking lot.   :(   :D

With Rita, toooooo many came into the parking lot....and stayed.  :D

The wife's store across the road, is the primary fuel/ice/etc. of the area in such evacuations, which has their own myriad problems.   Yesterday, she sold nearly 12,000 gallons of unlead, emptying those tanks multiple times, as well as the diesel and other grades.

I would certainly have to be in a well-proven position to consider staying in or around Texas City with Ike, though.
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

Qweaver

Our place is just off of 146 on Dickinson Bayou above Texas City and my daughter was able to leave there this morning and drive north with very little traffic.  So there was a much better plan in place this time.  I've been thru' a few big storms and there is no way I'd willingly stay through another. :o :o  ::)
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

dave7191

Brother called this morning said his family was headed to Shreveport to her sisters he was going to meet them their he was in Alabama  head home they live on the west side of Huston 

DWM II

Good luck neighbors, yall stay safe and Gob Bless.
Donnie
Stewardship Counts!

tcsmpsi

Today's traffic on 146 was nothing like yesterday's.  Fortunately, it seems most folks left earlier rather than later.  More than governmental management, I suspect Rita left a lasting impression of the consequences of leaving later rather than earlier.

The wife did just tell me that the rack price on unlead is at $4.57, now.  :o

\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

ely

how do they justify that price going up like that on gas. i mean the price of oil has went down steady for a week now they start this because of the storm.

ibseeker

I'm sitting in the airport in Atlanta and it's a zoo! My flight out of Orlando was cancelled due to a connection in Houston, seems like I'm not the only one connecting through Atlanta.

Have the refinery's already shutdown? The news was reporting yesterday that gas in South Carolina was at $5/gal due to Ike...how does that happen unless supplies are already impacted. Think the Fed's will investigate this one. There's laws against gouging during disasters.

I hope all the folks in Texas do ok and can remain safe.

Chuck
worn out poulan, Stihl 250SC, old machete and a bag of clues with a hole in the bottom

WDH

Tcsmpsi,

Is that area around your shop subject to flood?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

tcsmpsi

I have seen it (more than once) wash vehicles down the little street behind us.  However, I've only actually had it up in the shop once.

Whereas, the top of the vehicle where you park, would have been underwater.   

You didn't ask all that, did you?

Uh, yes, it is subject to flood.   ;)

ely...  The price of crude is only the price of the base product.  Primarily, the area where Ike is coming in, hosts most of the nations refining capability.  They are shut down.  And, will be for who knows how long.  Speculation is always a cost factor of a commodity.

Also, emergency delivery is, I strongly suspect, a factor.

Faron

NWS is warning that trying to ride out the storm in 1 or 2 story structures is "certain death" in some areas.  I have never heard the weather service use those terms, that I can remember.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

ely

i think this storm will be alot worse than the last worst one. heck the thing covered almost the whole gulf at one time.

beenthere

But not so bad that the news media and their tough guys with all the TV crews and support can't be "on the scene".  And saying things like "if you haven't left yet, you are really stupid and risking your life".  I guess one has to be tough to be a media man.   ;D ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Texas Ranger

The only saving grace we have is that it is a fast mover, and should move through Livingston in some 12 hours, or less, hopefully, not dropping enough rain to flood tcsmpsi shop, because mine is two blocks down from his, and on the same creek.

Good luck, Michael, I think we will need it.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

LeeB

When it gets through with you guys it's supposed to swing over the top of us here in the Ozarks. The weather man says 7" or more. I have a full time job redoing my driveway these days. You folks in Texas hang on tight nd find something to float out on.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

scsmith42

Quinton:

You, Sarah and Sonya have been on my mind ever since I learned of the latest path for the huricane.  It looks like the eye is going to pass right over your place in Texas City.

I'm glad to hear that all of y'all are safely away, and will pray that your place survives with minimal damage.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

DanG

After all the prayers that have been offered in my behalf, for all the storms that didn't quite hit here, y'all needn't have any doubt about where my thoughts are tonight.  You Texas folks hang on tight, and report in as soon as you can.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

CLL

Not to take away from the people in Ike's path, as I hope and pray for all, but we have had almost 6" in the last two days here in mid-missouri. All the creeks are running over, the lakes are also rising a lot faster than expected. I know we are going to get it but we sure don't need any help from Ike. You all down south be careful.
Too much work-not enough pay.

bck

Quote from: ibseeker on September 12, 2008, 04:52:29 PM

Have the refinery's already shutdown? The news was reporting yesterday that gas in South Carolina was at $5/gal due to Ike...how does that happen unless supplies are already impacted. Think the Fed's will investigate this one. There's laws against gouging during disasters.

I hope all the folks in Texas do ok and can remain safe.

Price jumped 1.00 - 1.50 a gallon today. A lot of gas around here ( NC ) is 4.89 a gal.    seen on the news tonight Fayetteville was 5.49 for reg. unleaded ???   And they say oil today fell under 100 bucks a barrel for the first time in months ??? Somebody needs to go to jail for this >:(

Good luck Texas and Louisiana

Woodwalker

Looks like the eye is gonna pass right over the top of us in the next hour or so. Lost power about 1:00AM. Running of the generator now. Winds blowing pretty hard for the past couple of hours. Raining very hard at times. TV says anywhere from 5" to 12".  Don't know about damage yet, have to wait for daylight. Heard something fall up around the barn and mill shed just now.  Have a bunch of small limbs hitting the house, sounds like they are getting bigger. Something good size just hit the roof.  The possibility of tornadoes   is worrying me.
Just cause your head's pointed, don't mean you are sharp.

Woodwalker

Inside the eye now, wind and rain has died down. Trouble is the other side is coming, bring a bunch of rain with it.
Made a quick trip out to check on things, I've got a lot of limbs, tree tops down. Three big oaks and a couple of pines blown down. Only damage I could see was one tree on a cross fence.  Maybe the other side won't cause any more damage.
Texas Ranger  and Tcsmpsi are east of me about 20-25 miles and from the looks of the radar, will be outside of the eye and won't get to see any lull in activity.

DanG

Glad to see you're able to be online, WoodWalker.  Thats a good sign.  Got an update for us?
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Woodwalker

I'm running off a standby generator. Update, ahhh, it's raining like there is a flat rock around here. Wind has shifted with the passage of the eye wall. The thing is getting weaker (so they say on TV can't tell by looking out the window), but it's gonna take a while for it to move out of here.  When it lets up enough, I got to try to get out of here and go to work. Don't think that is going to happen till after noon.

Texas Ranger

Weaker, my patootie!  Still blowing like Gabriels horn, and looks like another 6 or more hours for us as the south end of this big mother comes through.  Got a tree down on out buildings, running on Generator, got a house full from flooded Houston.  Have no idea what has happened at the shop, will probably be tomorrow before we get out.

Y'all up north of Livingston, Texas, this devil ain't through, so hunker down.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Thank You Sponsors!