iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

American Chestnut ??

Started by DonE911, August 04, 2005, 09:17:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DonE911

I remember reading about a University ( maybe Penn State ) crossing the american chestnut and a resistant chestnut to acheave a 90 (ish) percent american chestnut.  Does anyone know if they were successful??  Are seedling available??

I am considering buying a 5 acre piece of land and planting in tree's...  not really for me, other than to enjoy, maybe for my grandkids as far as timber value. 

I was considering walnuts along with a few other more common tree's to my area, when I saw an advertisment in a local agriculture paper from a fellow in the atlanta area that is selling american chestnut seedlings for 10 bucks a piece... seeds are from a 34 year old tree that was seeded from a surviving tree ( unk location of the surviving tree ).

If tree's are available I'd be happy to plant some to do my part in bringing it back. It's not going to be a large piece of land so I'm not planting a forrest here.

Furby

Check this thread, I don't think it will answer all your questions, but might be worth reading:
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=13193.0

CHARLIE

There is a professor around the LaCrosse, Wisconsin area that is working to develop a disease resistant Chestnut.  He has a grove of chestnuts of all ages.  If you are interested, I can get his name and address for you.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Ivan Bo

This Chinese chestnut tree is in Orrington, Maine. There are a number of chestnut trees about two hundred yards away so we hope the burrs on this one will hold nuts. 

farmerdoug

I sell chestnuts at our farmer's market for a friend of mine.  He has the chinese chestnuts producing and some European Clossals too young tto produce yet.  The clossals produce the largest nuts with the chinese the second largest.  The American is the smallest nut of the three but the best tree for lumber.  I can get you fresh chinese chestnut seed to plant for you.  IM me if you are interested in some.

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

jon12345

Maybe you will find a piece of land that already has nice looking trees on it, and won't have to plant too many?

Also, you may or may not know, juglans species can be detrimental to other plants due to aleopathy.

Does chestnut blight have an alternate host, anyone know how long it can live without a host? :P
A.A.S. in Forest Technology.....Ironworker

beenthere

jon12345
Come on, what is with the 'big' words? 

But the correct spelling is more like:

'allelopathy'

;D   Just doing some teasing here....... :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

jon12345

Hey I was close, only have about 50k in forestry education and a not so good memory to go along with it :-\

SkidrowJoe

Yes, Penn State along with the American Chestnut foundation has many test plots on the outskirts of campus.  From my understanding when talking to Kim Steiner and Tim Philips, saying they are close to a blight resistant Chestnut, but only time will tell. 
The stumps of today are the ceilings of tomorrow.

SkidrowJoe

Heres one for all you forestry smarties,

Whats the name of the chemical compound that is released by walnuts that is allelopathic?

What is the compound really toxic  to, animal four legged?

beenthere

5-hydroxy-alphanapthaquinone

I don't know, what is it?  ;D

allelopathic
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SkidrowJoe

Oh man,
That shoots an bunch of holes in my quiz. :D

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

jon12345

Dale Hatfield

I heard a report the other day on NPR about the  poisons in fall leaves. The color of death .
It  seams that  some  trees like walnut are very good at killing off  other trees . American Chestnut was supposed to very  strong poison maker also. But it seems that Tree of Heaven is   currently the best at it now days. The  color change cause a chemical change in the leaf that makes herbicide.
Dale Hatfield
Game Of Logging trainer,  College instructor of logging/Tree Care
Chainsaw Carver

Pullinchips

vist the american chestnut foundations website. not sure of the site url.  They are in the process of developing a blight resistant strain of am. chestnuts, with work and research going on in the southern appalachains.
Resident Forester
US Army Corps of Engineers: Savannah District

Clemson Forestry Grad 2004
MFR Clemson University 2006
Stihl MS 390

ohsoloco

Thank You Sponsors!