iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

American Elm

Started by markkelly, October 16, 2011, 10:21:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

markkelly

I am going to be milling American Elm for the first time any suggestions.   8) 8) 8)
LT 10 Woodmizer, Stihl, Husquvana,wood carving tools, Ford 3000 Tractor, Trailer.

WDH

Stack the best boards on the bottom of the sticker stack as elm is bad to twist and warp.  The weight from the lower grades will help keep the better stuff flatter. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

I pulled an A. elm board from the stack that was drying for years and that thing had the contours of a wrinkled blanket not yet folded and ironed. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

I have had hackberry, a member of the elm family, twist it self around and walk off from the stack  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

coldnorth

I quartersawed one a few years ago.  They are not as ornery to dry if QS.  The one I sawed was really not large enough to qs but I got some GREAT 7-8" wide boards. Very pretty wood.
If you want something done correctly, you have to do it yourself.

blaze83

this stuff does move like crazy but is very very pretty, I started cutting all mine 5/4 so i had a little more wood to work with, would like to try quarter sawing some, havn't found a log big enough yet

steve
I'm always amazed that no matter how bad i screw up Jesus still loves me

Kevin

This is Harry Boyer who is unfortunately no longer with us but he dragged this elm out of his field and I chainsaw milled it several years ago behind his farm house.

The boards warped like crazy but I did make some flooring for a closet with some of it and it was a lot of work but finished up looking really good.

I still have a few boards and just use it for small projects like this knife handle.

If I was ever to mill another, I would quarter saw it and band the pile.

zopi

Yeah, I just massacred a little hackberry on a job...thought about milling it....naaaahhhhh...got eniff corkscrews.(loose)
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

SwampDonkey

Elm is pretty as some of you stated, no question about it. I have used it in small projects. But most of my elm lumber never made it back home from the sawyer. I used some blocks that were cut up from that elm of grandfather's to turn a couple bowls on the lathe. I still have a half dozen or so pieces of elm kicking around in the barn with bark still on. It was 1993 when my uncle cut the tree down in the yard. The living room here is elm paneling.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

LeeB

In Texas we had an elm called cedar elm. Not nearly as unruly as some of the others. I've got several hundred BF of it still. Guess I need to do something with it.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

WDH

If I elm to saw any again, I will quartersaw it too  :D.

mrcaptainbob

There was a GIANT American elm in Mom's back yard. The side was a bit less than six feet from the back of the house. It was so large that it took three of us to hold hands around it with a bit of overlap... Well, that beauty got diseased and the city took it down for her. I ended up with the rounds. Those cutters must've been doing a lot of saw sharpening or chain replacing, as it had nails and screws through and through. It was a Detroit city tree. Splitting it exposed so many nails almost each piece looked like a pin cushion. ...

Thank You Sponsors!