iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

2011 Bear Season

Started by Jeff, June 27, 2011, 10:25:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

I just read these words on the MI DNR website.

Congratulations! You are successful in the 2011 Bear Drawing.  :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Magicman

It sounds like congratulations are in order.  Now to the fun part.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Bill

Congrats !

Somebody's gotta do it    8)

sandhills

Congratulations and best of luck to you!  And of course pictures will be required.  8)

Jeff

If I get a bear, it will just be icing. Bear season is always a wonderful time to be up at the cabin and out and about in the woods and having an actual bear permit is an excellent good excuse for it. :)

thecfarm

That's all the words you need. ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ron Scott

Great! Go after the big one. ;)
~Ron

Weekend_Sawyer

Congratulations Jeff, your adventures in bear hunting are always fun to read.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Jeff

I'm heading up this morning to help with some chores at the cabin, to pick up the ice cream for the pigroast, and check the two camera that Burlkraft and I put out before the fourth.

This year's ice cream flavor is:

MICHIGAN BLACK BEAR—Rich red raspberry sauce and chocolate black raspberry cups swirled in homemade vanilla ice cream  8) 8)

Its good, I sampled some last month.  ;)

Norm

Wow that sounds like a great flavor, ummm ummmmm.  :)

celliott

Are bears not very common in Michigan?  Is that the reason for the lottery?  Here in VT you get a bear tag with your regular hunting license, and this year they are allowing you to buy a 2nd tag.  Guess they think the populations getting a bit high.  But, not many people strictly bear hunt.  The majority of bears are shot in the week and a half that deer rifle season overlaps with bear season.
Good luck with the bear hunt  ;D
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

Jeff

Bears are common, but are tightly managed. We have 3/4s of a million deer hunters any given deer season, so a bear population would not have much of a chance with those numbers with a system like yours.

I just checked the camera right behind the cabin and there is probably a couple dozen shots of probably two bears. THe Batteries went down on the camera so it looks like 10 days ago was the last picture.  I've not been down to my property yet to check that camera. I suspect it will have photos on it as well. Here is one from out back.

ely

cool stuff jeff, not trying to turn the thread to food but do you eat the bear meat? and if so, do you have any reccommendations on recipes. ive heard of sausage from bear and roasts but what about steaks and such, maybe stew.

i have only eaten roast from a bear many years ago. it was fine.

Shotgun

Quote from: ely on July 13, 2011, 04:41:29 PM
cool stuff jeff, not trying to turn the thread to food but do you eat the bear meat? and if so, do you have any reccommendations on recipes. ive heard of sausage from bear and roasts but what about steaks and such, maybe stew.

Jeff is a bear hunter, but it might be best not to talk to Jeff about bear meat.    :)

Bear meat is essentially fat free, and really good.  I've had it a number of times, but never shot one myself either.  Just getting a little ahead of Jeff.   ;)

Norm
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

ely

are you trying to say that jeff is a bear hunter that leans more towards conservation.... or is he merely very selective about his prey? :D

Jeff

Jeff

I went down and  grabbed  the  card out of the camera on my place. The mosquitoes might as well be bears. I got out of there as fast as I could. they are horrible! 

beenthere

That a picture of a UP skeetoe?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

no, skeeters are bigger.

I was just sitting here relaxing after getting the mowing done and fixing an electrical problem created by a little critter building a home in the wrong spot, when I glanced out the window to see a skunk prancing into the yard right in broad daylight. By the time I got my camera, it disappeared to somewhere.

Here is the electrical problem I had to take care of. :-\

Ron Scott

~Ron

Texas Ranger

Humph, bears are small in Michigan. ::)
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Jeff

Jeff

Some more photos from my trailcam from this past week

Roxie

That sure is a high traffic area!  Love the pictures of the raccoons!   :D

Say when

beenthere

The pics are cropped some different, but seems the bear is about the same size as the fawn. The fawn looks friendlier. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!