iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

whippoorwill

Started by thecfarm, May 11, 2024, 09:03:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

Yes I heard a whippoorwill tonight!!!!
I have not heard one of those for years.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

NewYankeeSawmill

The old timers here say that's the all-clear to start planting. Have yet to see one...
Norwood LUMBERPRO HD36V2

newoodguy78

cfarm I used to spend weekends at my gram's house when I was growing up, one of the things I always remembered hearing was the whippoorwill singing away as I went to bed. Very fond memories.
Up until last year it had probably been 30 years since I heard that wonderful sound. As I came in the house tonight the question of if I'd hear one this year was on my mind. I hope so.

SwampDonkey

Used to be some at grandfather's camps, big w. pine trees and rocky bluffs up there.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

doc henderson

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Peter Drouin

Long time since I heard one.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

WV Sawmiller

I used to hear them a lot in N. Fla where I grew up. I never saw one in the daytime to recognize it as such. The few times I saw them at night they were on the ground and their eyes looked like a rabbit except you'd see a pair of eyes and with a rabbit you'd never see but one red eye.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

SwampDonkey

They are similar to nighthawks, I've seen all kinds of them. But not often at the house, mostly their migration flight at the end of the season. Saw a flock last year. Out in the woods I here them at night if I'm camping out. But I have flushed them from open patches in spruce plantation. They nest on the ground like a grouse.

One thing I have not seen in 40 years are chimney swifts.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!