iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Doing it backwards.

Started by Dave Shepard, November 28, 2015, 12:03:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

Hit a rock with an RS chain. All I had was a double bevel file. Fifteen strokes per tooth later, now its RSLK. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

sawguy21

One way to do it but a little time consuming. Being a bit lazy I would have thrown a new chain on. ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Dave Shepard

Had to file it anyway, and I can't get RSLK locally.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Jim_Rogers

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Dave Shepard

It's Stihl's name for square ground chisel chain. You need a double bevel file to sharpen it. Typically, people run square ground chain until it gets damaged, then they either machine grind it back to shape, or they just round file it, as it's the same chain that Stihl uses for round filed chain. I had a new double bevel file, and wanted to try going backwards. It's cutting good, but I think it needs one more filing, and a little more gullet work, and it should be cutting really fast compared to round filed.

JohnG28

15 a tooth isn't terrible really, given you were taking out the round grind as well as the rocking! Like ya said, got the Klassic now too.  8) I have one to learn on but have yet to do so... ::) One of these days.  :D
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Dave Shepard

I mostly want to see if I could do it. :D

SawTroll

Quote from: Dave Shepard on November 28, 2015, 12:03:08 PM
Hit a rock with an RS chain. All I had was a double bevel file. Fifteen strokes per tooth later, now its RSLK. :D
It didn't really become RSLK, as RS and RSK isn't the same chain.

Calling it RSL would be more correct.
Information collector.

Dave Shepard

What's the difference? I thought they were the same thing with a different grind.

SawTroll

Quote from: Dave Shepard on December 01, 2015, 11:35:58 AM
What's the difference? I thought they were the same thing with a different grind.

Different rakers (the RSK one is not ramped like the RS one), and RSK isn't a low vibe chain.
Information collector.

JohnG28

Regular Stihl RS doesn't have the ramped rakers or anti-vibe, that's RSC or RSC3 iirc. The "C" for comfort=anti-vibe. Could be different there I suppose though.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

sablatnic

15 strokes isn't VERY bad. I've been at around 30 on on a badly rocked chain. Wanted to show the boys that the chain was absolutely good and only needed slight a sharpening.  :D

Have to try a RSLK chain some day. Will probably have to order it and the files, as the local Stihl dealer doesn't stock such specialities!  ::)

Thank You Sponsors!