iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chain chokers

Started by Frickman, April 06, 2004, 05:52:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frickman

Are any of you cable skidder guys using chain chokers? I will be replacing my main cable this summer or fall and am considering switching over. I've been using cable chokers all my life, as do most of the guys around here. How hard is it to get the chain under a log? I've seen pictures of a long, curved hook you use to pull the chain under a log. How well does that work? I would like to stop carrying so many different lengths of cable chokers with me. I have to keep 6', 7', 8', and one 10' with me for different size logs. I was thinking of keeping one slide for a cable choker if I need it and switch the rest to chain.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Ron Scott

All use cable chokers here.
~Ron

Ed_K

I use chain, I buy 14' 3/8s tow chain and cut in half. I leave the grab hook on and add a slidder hook to the other end. Its sometimes hard to get the chain under a log if its dropped on slash. If I need longer length I just use the grab hook and add another chain.
Ed K

Jeff

Never seen any here used other then cable. How do ya push a chain under a log?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tom

Directional felling, Jeff.  Directional felling. :D

J_T

Man walking down the road pulling a chain when he met a guy that says why you pulling that chain an the man says you ever try pushing one ???. Jeff tie chain on tree then cut it ;D. Bet it would be a real trick to keep up with that stif rod and chains hanging around. I use to hang four or five chokers  on bell and leave them  on the skidder all time.
Jim Holloway

Swede

I´ve NEVER seen anyone here put or pull anything under a log!
Every one here use  "domäsaxen" or any other type of grabber.
How big are the logs you´re pulling things under? Must be a terrible work?

Swede.
Had a mobile band sawmill, All hydraulics  for logs 30\"x19´, remote control. (sold it 2009-04-13)
Monkey Blades.Sold them too)
Jonsered 535/15\". Just cut firewood now.

Brian_Rhoad

I've used both chain and cable. I like chain better. There are special hooks made for chain chokers that have the opening just big enough for the chain to slip through. That will keep the chain from coming unhooked. I use a pear shaped ring to hook the chain to the skidding cable. That way you can hook the choker as short or long as you need. I have a rod about 3.5' long with a T handle on one end and a hook bent into the other end to pull the cain under the log if the log is laying on the ground. You hook the rod to the chain, not the hook.  I've had more trouble getting a cable choker under a log than a chain choker. Usualy the splice knob on the cable is bigger than a chain. Check at a logging supply shop for the specisl hooks and pear rings.

Norm

I like the chain chokers better, they aren't so stiff and store easier than a cable. Mine have a steel rod on one end and an open C on the other. Every logger I know uses the cable, it must be cheaper.

redpowerd

im with norm,
cables arent as handy as a chain on the farm. i got chains everywhere, and when and if i get a winch, ill still use chain chokers
QuoteMust be a terrible work?
oh, its horrible, jam a rod under a log and pull :D
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

Corley5

I've used em both also.  They both have there own merits but I guess if given the choice between the two I'd choose cable ones.  Cable ckokers are easier to get under a log.  The push rods on the ends of the chain ckokers get bent up and defeat their purpose.  We kept a short handled shovel on the skidder or tractor to get the chains under logs easier.  Didn't need it with cable chokers.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

slowzuki

I've always used chain when dragging stuff with the tractor.  I hate working with stiff old cable.  Of course 30 ft of 7/16" chain ain't fun to haul around.
Ken

Swede

"oh, its horrible, jam a rod under a log and pull  (^__^)"

redpowerd; I understand that, with or with out reading this discussion. ;)
Do you pull the whole tree? How big are they in Ø? Why shouldn´t a grabber work?

Swede.
Had a mobile band sawmill, All hydraulics  for logs 30\"x19´, remote control. (sold it 2009-04-13)
Monkey Blades.Sold them too)
Jonsered 535/15\". Just cut firewood now.

Frickman

Swede, I'm cutting some big trees, and some small ones too. Today ranged from 6" birch to 32" red oak. What's getting me riled up about the cable chokers is I have to keep seven chokers with me in different lengths, and I've only got three slides. If you use a long choker on a small log the log drags the ground, and of course a short choker won't go around a large log. I'm not on a marked timber sale now with consistently sized timber, I'm working on some family owned property that we've been managing for close to a century. Black birch and soft maple are trying to take over, so I'm cutting them pretty hard where they're competing with oak, poplar and cherry. Thus I'm getting alot of small, 6" to 12" trees for firewood or blocking. In the same patch on the next trip I might get 30" red oak or 36" poplar, so I need to keep long chokers with me. On a chain choker you can keep 8' chokers with you and pull out most anything. As Brian said you can take up the slack on the pear shaped slide you put on the line.

Brian, can you hook two chain chokers together to get one long one? One of the reasons I want to keep one slide for cable chokers is so I can use a 10' choker when necessary. Usually that's once or twice a day. 16' of choker chain would be pretty long, but maybe I can keep an extra 3' chain on the skidder to give me extra length. The front bumper of our loader truck has cable choker ends attached for pulling the truck into the woods with the skidder and a cable choker. Maybe that hook on a chain choker would attach to it instead.

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Slofr8

Frickman,
 We use to use one or two lengths,  6' or 7' and wrap twice around the small ones and use two chockers for the real big ones.
Dan.

Stan

Norm, what air the steel rod fur? I got a chain hook mounted on my drawbar, and just hook the chain up close, then lift the 3 point, and drive away.
I may have been born on a turnip truck, but I didn't just fall off.

Norm

It's used to push the chain under the tree Stan, kind of like a needle on thread, if there's any gap between the log and the ground you don't really need it

slowzuki

It can keep your hands a lot drier too!  I've only used em one day when working for a neighbour but they are nice.

QuoteIt's used to push the chain under the tree Stan, kind of like a needle on thread, if there's any gap between the log and the ground you don't really need it

Frickman

Thanks for all the input guys. I'm seriously considering going this route this summer.

beenthere

Chain chokers, with the "primer" pin, are used by the Farmi winch system, and can be seen on this "assessories" site,
http://www.northeastimplement.com/newpage2.htm
I thought with all this talk about the pins on the chains, seeing one might help others know what the talk is about.

I see that the "primer" pin is about 9" long. I like them for poking the choker chain under a log, but they do take a beating and get bent around a bit while winching in logs.  
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ron Wenrich

Most guys in our area use the chains.  I always hated when the cable would wow up or get those nastry barbs.  

My understanding of the hook is you put it under the opposite side and pull the chain through, not push it through.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

travelr64

Hey Frick

All ya need is a couple different lengths of cable chokers.  Ya can wrap it around the log  as many times as ya need to to get it short enough if need be.  If ya need to make a longer one, ya just use a shackle,

Pretty simple

Coop
""Now look what you've gotten us into ! ! !

wiam

I have worked in the woods with a skidder with cables and chains.  When working with a skidder I would definetly use cables.  On the other hand when using my 3 point hitch winch I would rather use chains.  There is my 2 cents.  Keep the change. :D :D

William

Sawyerfortyish

Before I got my timberjack I used the chain with the small rod on the end. But since I only use choker chain the chain that I had with the rod on the end is not strong enough to use on my skidder I would snap them in a day. I tryed grade eight chain and would snap them in a short time. Now I use 3/8 grade 100 with square links and don't have a problem. The square link bites into the bark and wood and doesn't seem to slip as much as the normal chain. I have never tryed the cable before but it would seem to me that after pulling some big trees with them they would get freyed or retain a circular shape and generaly become a pain to work with I don't know. Do they straighten back to there origanal shape after use?
  I have 5 sliders on my skidder and carry 6 choker chains one chain has a choker on one end and a regular grab hook on the other. If I come accross a big tree that my 8' chain won't reach around I use the chain with the grab hook as an extension and adjust the chain through the slider on the skidder so i'm able to pick up the end of the log. As for getting the chain under the log I use that rod with the T handle and hook on the other end. Just push it under the log and hook the chain link on the oppsite end of a choker chain and pull.
  What size cable do most of you use on your skidders? I use 3/4 swaged to 5/8 and have 100' but always seem to be a couple feet short.

Ron Scott

Cable "a few feet short" is a common problem.  ;)
~Ron

spencerhenry

i run a small skidder, and most of my trees are pretty small, but on ocassion i skid some doug fir, or blue spruce. the biggest ones go up to 40"dbh. i run 9 sliders on the waist line, usually i run 6'  3/8 cable chokers. but i also have some 8' 9/16 cable chokers. i have never needed anything longer, except when i cant reach the logs with the main line, then i hook chokers together until i have enought length to reach. i have tried chain, but had alot of trouble with them coming unhooked. i would not want to use chain for one very big reason, strength. most load chains, or even tow chains, have a very low load rating and breaking strength. even a good 3/8 chain only is rated for around 2500#. ever notice that cranes and boom trucks NEVER use chains. i have broken 3/8 cable before, like when a log gets wedged into some boulders. but 3/8 cable(the good stuff) is rated at like 15,000#  i have slots cut in the fenders of my skidder so i can hook the unused chokers on the fender. it keeps them tangle free, and i rarely lose one. i think i may even put more sliders on, maybe up to 16 ;D

Frickman

Sawyer40,
I run 100' of 5/8" swaged to 9/16" on my JD 440. Well that's what I put on when I change cables. Right now it's down to about 35' from breaking the end off so many times. Hence the need to change cables. I'm logging in relatively flat timber now so I'll wait until I need the extra length before changing. I got several rolls of 3/4" swaged to 5/8" cable here that came off a crane at a local foundry. If the cable gets a kink in it OSHA makes them change it out. My friend who is the crane mechanic got them for me cheap, as they were going to have to scrap them. I don't know how the little skidder and winch will like it, but it's worth trying.

Rob

good morning guys ,

I'm getting ready to change the cable on my C4 D soon within the month , I was wondering where would be the best place to find 100' or 125' 5/8" Swaged cable ?? I currently have a 75' but I'm tired of it coming up short all the time when I need it. I run seven 8' choker cables and 5 key hole chain grabs more than enough for this little machine.. Any help fellas

Thanks Rob

redpowerd

baileys or ccd, im sure most will say.
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

David_c

hey rob in the want ad i saw a guy was selling several 100-125' rolls. it was in there 2 weeks ago. i did'nt get it this past wek so it might be worth looking.

rebocardo

>  Jeff tie chain on tree then cut it

I have done that, man I am so lazy sometimes when it comes to moving that big wood. I wrap the tree with the chain and hold it in place with a lag on the other side where it is not suppose to fall.

Trouble starts when your 8 foot chain will not fit around the tree and you have to use a ladder to move it up 15 feet.

dancan

i have used chain and found it to be user friendly (lol)
depending on which way you wrap the chain around the log you can use the winch to roll the log past obstacles in your path.
most 3pt logging whinch manufactures sell similar versions of chain and it would only a visit to wire rope and chain store to have similar made.
a couple of draw back are ,
dark chain is easy to lose on the forrest floor
shiny chain is easy to lose when left unattended for any length of time.

dancan

Sawyerfortyish

Welcome to the forum dancan. I find myself always counting my chains every time I go to the back of the skidder to hook or unhook. In the last 15 yrs i've only lost 2 chains off the skidder that I didn't find. Can't say how many times I had to back track to find a chain.

Shamus

Losing chain is easy. I dropped a chain on the ground right beside my road (laziness, didn't put it back on the machine), and carried a log to the mill with the dozer.  I came back to get the next log about an hour later, and could not find the danG chain! Spent a good half hour looking for it, stumped me. I must have buried it somehow. No one else has access to the property. Spooooooky... :o :o

Gotta get me a metal detector one athese days. Add it to the list. ;D
D&L Doublecut Synchro sawmill, Procut chainsaw mill, John Deere crawler loader,  F350 4x4 flatdeck, 20 ton logsplitter, running Stihls

Oldtimer

The "metal rod" you use to get the chain under the tree has a proper name guys. It is called a "Choker Poker". Sheesh. I use mine once a month or so. I can get the chain under the tree 99% of the time. If I can't, I lift it with the blade if possible. The Poker is a miserable thing to use in summer. It works best in snow. Really earns its keep then.

I found cable chokers to be a huge headache. I run 5 slides on my C5D, and have 6 chains. The shorter ones get hung "backwards" so I don't have to hunt for a long chain. When the "biggie" comes along, I use one chain with two sliders. Instant 75' choker.
My favorite things are 2 stroke powered....

My husky 372 and my '04 F-7 EFI....

thecfarm

I only cut wood on my own land and use a farm tractor and I use chocker chains.But I always lay down a few short pieces of smaller trees that I know will get  knocked down anyways for the tree to fall on.Than as I limb the tree I put the branches under the tree to keep it off the ground.This has worked very well for me for years.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!