iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

blades for frozen logs

Started by JB Griffin, January 06, 2017, 09:56:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JB Griffin

Jclvsall do ya'll have any trouble with the 2" blades cupping?
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

4x4American

The WM turbo blades worked great for me up until I got into frozen logs.  Then I found regular 7's and Kasco 7's set at .012" work the best for me.  The big boys put what is called a frost notch in their blades.  It is because frozen sawdust doesn't act like regular sawdust, it rolls in the gullet like a snowball (iirc).  The frost notch is put in back from the tip of the tooth in the gullet, and it breaks up the snowballed sawdust.  I have seen it done only on 8" and 12" wide bands.  The saw filer was telling me that I can emulate this concept by cutting a flat spot at the back of the gullet behind the tooth. 

Try reducing your set down around .012", it was night and day for me.  Cleared all the sawdust and cut flat.
Boy, back in my day..

JB Griffin

Might just have to try that 4x4. Thanks
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

jclvsall

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.  Ben Franklin

4x4American

No problem, gmmills told me he has gone as far down as .010", and to conduct your testing in increments of .003" and also that if your blade is heating, you don't have enough set. 

I have found that when I have too little set, I get a cup on the cant.

When I was dropping off carbide blades at the big grade mill today I got a picture of that frost notch I mentioned.  It might be hard to see in the picture.  This is on a 12" double cut saw.

Boy, back in my day..

barbender

I think I remember seeing a Simonds blade that had some sort of frost notch.
Too many irons in the fire

JB Griffin

Thanks Fellers lot to think about. Brian are ya'll running the bullet guides or rollers?

Oliver05262

A dumb question from a mechanic 'cause I'm not familiar with saw filing. What are the circle marks at the bottom of the gullet?
Oliver Durand
"You can't do wrong by doing good"
It's OK to cry.
I never did say goodby to my invisible friend.
"I woke up still not dead again today" Willy
Don't use force-get a bigger hammer.

Kbeitz

Quote from: Oliver05262 on January 13, 2017, 09:15:29 PM
A dumb question from a mechanic 'cause I'm not familiar with saw filing. What are the circle marks at the bottom of the gullet?

Hey. I was wondering the same thing.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

paul case

Not a dumb question. I was wondering the same thing.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

etroup10

Here are the notched tooth blades I was talking about.

And what the cut looked like(I didn't wipe any sawdust off after the cut)
NHLA 187th class, lumber inspector. EZ Boardwalk 40 with homemade hydraulics; Gafner Hydraloader; custom built edger, Massey Ferguson 50E, American Sawmill 20" Pony Planer; Husqvarna 55 Rancher

barbender

Etroupe, Lenox Chipsweep is what those are called, I think.
Too many irons in the fire

etroup10

Quote from: barbender on January 14, 2017, 12:06:05 AM
Etroupe, Lenox Chipsweep is what those are called, I think.
I looked those up, these look the same but they are from a local saw manufacturer. They weld there bands there and sharpen. I saw that the lenox ones online for $33. From the local saw shop I think they were $18.50 for a 14'6" band.
NHLA 187th class, lumber inspector. EZ Boardwalk 40 with homemade hydraulics; Gafner Hydraloader; custom built edger, Massey Ferguson 50E, American Sawmill 20" Pony Planer; Husqvarna 55 Rancher

4x4American

Reply #26 people!  It's the marks from making the frost notch.
Boy, back in my day..

Peter Drouin

Vise marks to hold the blade, count the rings will tell how many times it was done.  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Kbeitz

My guess would be 6 times ?

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Ox

I find saw blade science interesting.  Does this make me a loser in today's society?  Next question:  do I care if I'm a loser in today's society?  ;D
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

jclvsall

Jb we run the bullets on the 2" mill.  The 2" mill has thicker wheels than the 1.5 " mills. 

We found that with the.055 7°turbos from WM we set the top bullets on the blade then tighten.  The bottom we put a piece of metal banding between the bullet and blade as a spacer. Then tighten and remove banding to leave a small space.  This reduces heat and noise.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.  Ben Franklin

4x4American

Quote from: jclvsall on January 14, 2017, 03:03:45 PM
Jb we run the bullets on the 2" mill.  The 2" mill has thicker wheels than the 1.5 " mills. 

We found that with the.055 7°turbos from WM we set the top bullets on the blade then tighten.  The bottom we put a piece of metal banding between the bullet and blade as a spacer. Then tighten and remove banding to leave a small space.  This reduces heat and noise.

What kind of guides do you run on the 1.5" mill?
Boy, back in my day..

drobertson

Knotched with a small diameter carbide end mill would be my guess, those rings resemble touch off marks, seen a many of them, just not on band blades, we used magic markers or dykem but still left a witness mark usually, I say if it works, good,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

jclvsall

4x4American

What do you like better the rollers or the bullets or are they both good?

I thought he made the frost notches with the same thing he swadges the blades with but idk I'll have to watch him do it next time I'm there
Boy, back in my day..

gmmills

JB and jclvsall     I have been using 1 1/2" 7 deg turbo blade as my general purpose blade since it was first released. It performs great in all types of hardwoods that I cut. This holds true until the logs get frozen. When the logs freeze up I have to go back to a 4 deg blade in order to get the cut quality that our customers demand. I don't just purchase another blade profile manufactured at 4 deg hook angle. I take a 7/39 deg turbo blade and re-profile to a 4/39 turbo. I use a specific 4/39 CBN wheel to make this happen. This wheel was developed to exclusively re-profile the 7 deg turbo to a 4 deg hook angle. Doing this allows me to purchase 1 blade profile for all my sawing conditions. This CBN wheel is available exclusively from our fellow forum member Cutting Edge. I have been doing this for the last 2 winters and the 4/39 profile performs better than the WM stock 4/32 blade profile. jclvsall this option may be for you considering the tooth profile limitations that WM has imposed on their 2" Silver Tip blade stock.

For all of you that think a 7 deg blade, especially with added extra set, will cut all frozen hardwoods productively, I can assure you it will not. If anyone doubts what I am stating, Come to OH and try to cut a frozen W. Oak with 7 deg blade. It will make some of nicest wavy W. Oak firewood you have ever seen.       

Custom sawing full-time since 2000. 
WM LT70D62 Remote with Accuset
Sawing since 1995

jclvsall

Gmmills I had a long phone conversation with Richard (Cutting Edge) a couple years ago about this.  He was working on getting Kasco to make them. Not sure how that ever turned out. 

If/when we get a cbn grinder we will certainly try that.

You are right the turbos get crappy when the logs freeze.  I found last week they were humping over the logs.  Not rising in the cut and making thickNthins but literally cutting cupped boards.  It was amazing.  The blade was literally trying to follow the rings.  The weirdest part is it would do it in one log then cut perfect in the next then crappy then perfect.  I guess the logs in the sun were thawing but the ones under the pile were not.

4x4 we like both guides.  We hated the bullets until we went to the .055 7° turbos and dropped the bottom ones out of play.  Now they work great!

But to be honest the 1.5" mill with rollers and .055 7° turbos can just about keep up!

I have a roller designed in my head for the 2" machine. Now to just get to the shop and build it or get Floyd to do it.

Brian 

Mt406

Tried my first WM 4 just recently and liked it.
Had a guy bring some red Oak to saw. ( we don't get much of that in MT)
green and frozen.
I was happy with the blade striate and true I did have to scrap off saw dust.
Cut two orders of lodgepole pine cut just as well.
Didn't see much slow down in cut speed.
I lose more time in material handling than saw time.

Thank You Sponsors!