iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Why is my hydraulic contactor shorting out

Started by Lawg Dawg, January 24, 2018, 08:05:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lawg Dawg

Only problem I've had with this mill so far..and has been doing this from the beginning..I've adjusted, tightened and sanded clean multiple times. Every couple days it starts doing it again

2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

paul case

Activating hydraulics before the head stops.

That was our problem.
My mill has the command control station so we ran a hot lead through the supply track to the hydraulic pumps and did away with the contact strip.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

pineywoods

Frozen sawdust...Are you aware there is another brush under the bottom of the frame ??
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Chuck White

Good replies!

If you were sawing at night, you might see sparks when the block is on the contact strip if you're running the hydraulic system!

Come to a stop before engaging the hydraulics, and you should eliminate the problem!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Ga Mtn Man

Technically speaking, it is arcing not shorting out. franken-smiley
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

YellowHammer

Severe arcing caused by intermittent electrical connectors contact for me was caused by activating the hydraulics while the head was moving and bouncing.  I installed a permanent cable like others did to fix the problem and provide anywhere hydraulics. 
It also looks like you are not getting even contact along the mill strip, as the marks are in the same relative place, along the bottom.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Lawg Dawg

Quote from: paul case on January 24, 2018, 08:14:41 AM
Activating hydraulics before the head stops.

That was our problem.
My mill has the command control station so we ran a hot lead through the supply track to the hydraulic pumps and did away with the contact strip.

Quote from: Chuck White on January 25, 2018, 07:18:31 AM
Good replies!

If you were sawing at night, you might see sparks when the block is on the contact strip if you're running the hydraulic system!

Come to a stop before engaging the hydraulics, and you should eliminate the problem!

PC

Quote from: YellowHammer on January 25, 2018, 09:13:00 AM
Severe arcing caused by intermittent electrical connectors contact for me was caused by activating the hydraulics while the head was moving and bouncing.  I installed a permanent cable like others did to fix the problem and provide anywhere hydraulics. 
It also looks like you are not getting even contact along the mill strip, as the marks are in the same relative place, along the bottom.

That was the problem...guess I'm in a hurry trying to get all this lumber sawed up with my new mill  :D
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

Chuck White

Most of us have been there and done that, LD!   ;)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

paul case

Even if you dont have command control you can fix it up to be live hydraulics. Live hydraulics are SWEET.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Lawg Dawg

Quote from: paul case on January 26, 2018, 08:51:23 AM
Even if you dont have command control you can fix it up to be live hydraulics. Live hydraulics are SWEET.

PC

I'm going to have to research that mod...I can see where it would be very useful! Thanks!  :)

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

sparks

This usually happens when you either have a bad ground at the ground contact or too little spring pressure on the positive contact.

Clean the copper strip and the block real good. Move the block toward the strip until it touches. push it in another 1/8" to 3/8" to put it under spring pressure. Tighten up the mounting bolts.

To check for a bad ground on the ground block, take a volt meter and put the red lead on the ground block and the black lead on the weld rod the block is touching. Activate the hydraulics. If you read more than 1 volt you have a bad ground. Clean up the weld rod and the block and test again.
\"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.\" Abraham Lincoln

starmac

Some good info Sparks, I will have to store that info in this noggin of mine and hope it stays there.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Southside

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on January 29, 2018, 07:13:03 PM
Keep the strip clean.

Poston, you the official Sanitization Engineer Spokes Person for Vegas too? :D   

Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

LeeB

Show us that brand new strip in a couple years.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

wolf nemeth

Well,  I'm interested in continuous hydraulics!  Can someone please write  some specific information as to  wire/cable size,  routing, and  where to make the connections? thanks
If you  don't know where you're going, you'll probably end up somewhere else!

Ga Mtn Man

"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: LeeB on January 30, 2018, 08:13:23 AM
Show us that brand new strip in a couple years.

That strip my friend is on my 7 year old mill. I keep em clean.  :)

YellowHammer

YellowHammerisms:

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Chuck White

My powerstrip was so pitted that I pulled it off and turned it over!

If you do this, you'll need to unsolder the power lead at the front end and resolder it onto the other side!

customsawyer

It might be just me but I have never slowed down to wait for the head to come to a stop before grabbing a hyd. leaver.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

YellowHammer

Quote from: wolf nemeth on January 30, 2018, 09:57:13 AM
Well,  I'm interested in continuous hydraulics!  Can someone please write  some specific information as to  wire/cable size,  routing, and  where to make the connections? thanks

There are several references to it in this thread.  Several people did it before me and it was pretty easy.  I consider it the most useful modification that can be done to a mill.
YellowHammerisms:

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: YellowHammer on January 31, 2018, 09:32:01 PM
Quote from: wolf nemeth on January 30, 2018, 09:57:13 AM

There are several references to it in this thread.  Several people did it before me and it was pretty easy.  I consider it the most useful modification that can be done to a mill.

I'd like to see some pictures of the hook up.

Southside

Just run a spare set of battery cables out of the hydraulic box about 18" long, one end hooked up to the same spots on the pump and ground, on the other end put a snow plow disconnect.  Then grab a spare battery, make up a set of cables that are attached to it with a matching snow plow disconnect on the end of that one, instant live hydraulics, no lines to route and about $30 worth of parts not including the spare battery.  The plugs are polarized so you can't hook them up together wrong.  When you want to move the mill just un hook the spare battery.

So easy even a goat can do it!! 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

YellowHammer

I didn't take any pictures of my hookup, but with a Command and Control station which has a caterpillar track, it was a simple matter to run a couple flexible welding wires from the engine/hydraulic battery of the head assembly under the mast, down through the cat track, and then unto the hydraulic pump box to the pump relay terminals.  This bypasses the contact strip entirely, but I didn't bother to remove mine.  Doesn't matter if the mill is running or where the head is, the hydraulics will function.
YellowHammerisms:

Thank You Sponsors!