iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need help what is this thing?

Started by Southside, January 31, 2018, 10:36:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Southside

So this "thingy" is on the side of my Kohler gas 25.  Looking from the control station this is on the lower left of the engine just behind the fly wheel. The wires go off into the cowl.  It started to send off occasional sparks today, they seem to be ending or grounding down toward the bottom of the unit by where the silver colored strip surrounds it and has the mounting bolts through.  I can't find this unit on the WM parts look up.  Anybody know what it is?  Can it be fixed or just replaced?  I guess I will call WM in the morning but don't want to ask if they can ship me a "thingy".  Thanks in advance. 

Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Don P

Rectifier-Regulator
NOTE: When installing rectifi er-regulator, take note of terminal markings and install plug(s) accordingly.
NOTE: Disconnect all electrical connections attached to rectifi er-regulator. Testing may be performed with rectifi erregulator
mounted or loose. Repeat applicable test procedure 2 or 3 times to determine condition of part.
Rectifi er-regulator is mounted on blower housing. To replace it, disconnect plug(s), remove two mounting screws, and
ground wire or metal grounding strap.

If so that blue line should run to the starter stud.
I have the engine manual here, pm your email if you want it.

Brad_bb

My GUESS would be voltage regulator.  Just a guess.  looks like solid state which would be replace.  if it is, it means your alternator doesn't have an internal one.  Are you having an engine problem?
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Southside

Thanks Don -

Where did you find the notes?  Any idea what the "applicable test procedure" is?

Jim
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Southside

JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Ianab

Looks like this?
https://www.amazon.com/Voltage-Regulator-Rectifier-Kohler-10-S/dp/B01K9Y2M3O

Test would be check the voltage on the battery when the engine is running. Should be just under 14 volts. If it's only around 12v, then the battery isn't charging. Then you only keep running until the battery goes flat.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Southside

Answer one question - find another one.  So WM says the alternator is 105 amp, but the rectifiers I find for Kohler all say 15 amp????  Any one know which is right?
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

starmac

With the wires running back under the cowl, I am assuming it has a stator and not an alternator, if so I would also assume it would be the 15 amp unit.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

starmac

I can't imagine woodmizer would use an alternator with an external regulator.

Don P

I'm lost here but wanting to learn. The Kohler engine manual does show a stator but I do see the belt driven 105 amp alternator in the WM engine manual and your instrument panel is probably running a 50 amp breaker. I'd like to hear what you find out, as in, can you abandon this regulator and the factory stator and run just on the bolt on alternator?

MartyParsons

Hello,
The charging system is run off the 105 amp alternator. This is not used on this engine or LT35 mill. I will need to check the electrical and WM may have removed the fuse. You could just unhook it and all will be good.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

alanh

I have a similiar widget on my kohler, I saw the little packet of blue smoke escape one day and replaced it, the mill was still running fine..

Southside

Turns out it's an appendix!!!  Just like the one we all have, the design is back to when she consumed more grass.   But just like our appendix - she don't need it. Actually I was told that they are supposed to be disconnected in Indy before a mill leaves as the alternator and the appendix will actually fight each other.  So if yours is connected conduct a quick Disconnectame surgery and don't look back. 

Now I have no idea how much magnetic resistance this conflict between the two system causes, but Mister Man, what a difference in performance!!!  I mean - she has always been a strong engine, but now, when the band hits the wood hard and that governor kicks in it's like a pullin horse at the State Fair that just heard the clang of the evener hit the sled hook.  She drops down and just pulls!!! Practically could see the twist in the head frame from the torque!!  Got to be a 50% increase in power.  Best mill mod ever!!!  I don't know why anyone would go to a diesel after experiencing this. I am thinking this is really some EPA restriction junk.
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

starmac

You sound like a guy I used to truck with, he was always putting a bigger turbo, computer mods, bigger fuel lines, etc and every time he would tell me it saved hi 40 or 60 gallons per trip. Finally I told him I wanted to start buying my fuel from him, when he ask what I was talking about, I told him he was saving more than I ever burned to start with, so he should have some left over to sell by now.

Southside

You got me Starmac -  :(

The second paragraph is 100% made up - just wanted to get some of the guys excited and run out in their jammies at night to try out the mod!!  In all reality there is zero difference in anything. 
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

starmac

If you removed the alternator and run with the stator, you would likely notice a power difference, but then youwould not have anywhere near as much juice either. My old mill with the onan just has a stator and the alternator even though it takes more power would be an upgrade as far as I am concerned. apparently woodmizer thinks so too.

Don P

Good deal. That's sort of what I'm wondering. Is the alternator putting out?
I'm wondering if it dropped out, the 15 amp system was trying to fill the entire load, and that was the arcing, or, did the 15 amp regulator just decide it had had enough fun.

JB Griffin

Quote from: Southside logger on February 01, 2018, 10:14:23 PM

Now I have no idea how much magnetic resistance this conflict between the two system causes, but Mister Man, what a difference in performance!!!  I mean - she has always been a strong engine, but now, when the band hits the wood hard and that governor kicks in it's like a pullin horse at the State Fair that just heard the clang of the evener hit the sled hook.  She drops down and just pulls!!! Practically could see the twist in the head frame from the torque!!  Got to be a 50% increase in power.  Best mill mod ever!!!  I don't know why anyone would go to a diesel after experiencing this. I am thinking this is really some EPA restriction junk.

Even if it were true, nothing that requires spark plugs will ever come close to equaling compression ignition when it come to torque, and torque is what moves the whole world. ;D I gave up spark plugs for my mill years ago, try it once and you'll never go back.   My name is JB and I'm a diesel addict.  :D :D
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

Southside

Yes, she is charging just fine, I guess the appendix just decided it no longer wanted to play. 
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Southside

Starmac -

Turning on the simple set actually does draw the engine down quite a lot, I was always surprised at how much of a start up load that pulls on the alternator - more than the hydraulics do. 
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

starmac

I am surprised that simple set draws that much. Years ago I read that a 100 amp alternator could use as much as 7 horsepower if I remember right and 100 amp were not that common back then, so it could have been 65 amp. I know it was more than a guy thinks, I was thinking about building a portable battery charger and I needed more engine than I had planned.

Don P

That's about the hp demand I remember hearing for when they are fully loaded. I was surprised to see that high output but the rolling resistance won't really be much if any different than a low output alternator. The hp demand is magnetic and load dependent. There is the beauty that it would probably be able to run quite an inverter if need be when not running the mill like repair tools if it is alone somewhere inaccessible.

Thank You Sponsors!