iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

WM LX450

Started by xlogger, February 03, 2018, 04:00:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xlogger

I was at the NC Farm show yesterday and saw the new 4 post head WM450. It looks like a well built machine, If I was younger and looking a new machine I sure would give it a try. But would wait till they made a stationary operator station. I don't think I would like the walk along. Has anyone here got one yet?
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

thecfarm

Do a search on LX450. A member got one a little more than a month ago.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

Stuart Caruk

Yup, I've run a gas version and own a diesel version. It's a great mill once I got a couple bugs worked out. The finish quality is far superior to what I'm used to on my old cantilever machine. Loads of power with the diesel. My verdict is still out on the 1 1/2" blades... oddly they only make the 1 1/4" guides for this mill.

If you need a portable mill though, I'd stick with a cantilver style. While they made a great effort to make it easy to level this machine, the head (at least on a diesel) is so heavy that the machine slides every time the head returns, and it's hard to keep it level. Get a twist, and the gantry will bind going down the rails. A cantilever machine with quick adjust jacks is less work. In my case it's bolted to a slab, and I much prefer the stronger frame with plenty of adjustments.
Stuart Caruk
Wood-Mizer LX450 Diesel w/ debarker and home brewed extension, live log deck and outfeed rolls. Woodmizer twin blade edger, Barko 450 log loader, Clark 666 Grapple Skidder w/ 200' of mainline. Bobcats and forklifts.

ladylake

Are you slamming the head into the back of the mill when you return it to make the mill slide? Cant see where either type would be different or why. My mill will do that if I slam the head on either end , why wont a cantilever  mill move??.  Never ever had a problem with my 4 post head binding plus every mill will have to have the jacks set up properly to saw good lumber. Many have converted their quick adjust jack to fine tuning jacks with good reason.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Percy

Quote from: ladylake on February 04, 2018, 05:58:03 PM

Are you slamming the head into the back of the mill when you return it to make the mill slide? Cant see where either type would be different or why. My mill will do that if I slam the head on either end , why wont a cantilever  mill move??.  Never ever had a problem with my 4 post head binding plus every mill will have to have the jacks set up properly to saw good lumber. Many have converted their quick adjust jack to fine tuning jacks with good reason.  Steve
My LT70 did the same thing before I bolted it down. Just engaging the return, which is wide open, give enough of a reaction to wiggle the frame on its outriggers. After several cuts it needs adjusting. I think it may be  because the heads on these machines are quite heavy....
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

ladylake

I try and slow the head down before it gets  to either end but that doesn't always happen. Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

DPatton

Ladylake,

Sounds like their return speed is wide open???? where as on our TK's we can feather that return speed with the hydraulics.
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

barbender

The return on WM machines is on/off (although I saw a thread where you can make some changes so you can use your speed pot for the reverse on some mills). It's hard to get used to at first but after a bit your waiting for it.
Too many irons in the fire

Percy

Quote from: DPatton on February 04, 2018, 06:28:11 PM

Ladylake,

Sounds like their return speed is wide open???? where as on our TK's we can feather that return speed with the hydraulics.
Nailed it. 👍
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

DPatton

OK thanks Percy, now I understand. Although my mill head is not as heavy I know it will also cause the bed to shift around on the leveling jack pads if I wasn't feathering the return head speed with the hydraulic controls.

TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

4x4American

I like on the super 70 you can feather the return. The farther you pull the joystick the faster it goes and vicey versey
Boy, back in my day..

gmmills

Quote from: Stuart Caruk on February 04, 2018, 05:42:14 PM
                My verdict is still out on the 1 1/2" blades... oddly they only make the 1 1/4" guides for this mill.

Stuart, The guide rollers for the LX450 look very similar to the WM4000 industrial mill. There are 1/ 1/2" guide rollers available for the WM4000. I did a little research, the same internal bearings, retaining rings, and outer washer are used for your LX450 and the 4000. Give Sparks a call in Indy and mention this to him and see if he thinks the rollers will cross over to your mill. Hopefully the outer roller shell will be the same diameter. Sparks will be able to do the research to get you an answer.
Custom sawing full-time since 2000. 
WM LT70D62 Remote with Accuset
Sawing since 1995

Stuart Caruk

Thanks for the tip on the rollers. I have a sneaky suspician that the mills was designed around the 1 1/4" blade and they haven't yet gotten around to properly implementing the 1 1/2" blades.

As to the head slamming at the end of the mill... the return speed is either on or of. There is no feathering it. It comes back way faster than my LT35 did, and the head is substantially heavier. I could stop at any point in the return travel once the head was at speed, and the machine would slide. Now that it's feet are welded to 3/4" plates bolted to my concrete slab, it stays put just fine. The extension I'm building will be even more stout.
Stuart Caruk
Wood-Mizer LX450 Diesel w/ debarker and home brewed extension, live log deck and outfeed rolls. Woodmizer twin blade edger, Barko 450 log loader, Clark 666 Grapple Skidder w/ 200' of mainline. Bobcats and forklifts.

Thank You Sponsors!