iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

AM I NUTS new guy

Started by paka, January 29, 2008, 09:40:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paka

Been reading a while, I'm thinking about a mill 'tk1600' I'm getting ready to start building.I am going to invest in myself so I can retire in two-three years I'v  been in consturtion[?] for along time[35years].We bought a old house, seven'' out of level we are going to build a log guest house,barn ,then tear down this house and build a large log home mostly alone,Sell out to a yuppingand retire. I have a 35hp.tractor with loader.I'm wondering if I need that size mill?I have always loved to play with wood so could use it for retirement toy. looking for input.I live in wash.I'm 55 most of my work has been hanging drywall but have done a lot of thing's over the years.What ya think??AM I NUTS
do't die with your music still in you!!!Paka

Part_Timer

I think that if your nuts, so are the rest of us.  Welcome to the forum.
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Coon

I'm not quite nuts yet... but I am getting there. :D :D

Anyways welcome to the forum paka.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

thecfarm

I have no idea what size a tk1600 is.If you don't go hungry buying it,buy it.How can anything be too big? You will be so glad in 4-5 years you bought a big one. If you build all that you have listed with the above sawmill you will need a good size one to do it all.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

paka

DanG

Yeah Paka, you're nuts.  You've come to the right place.  Welcome to the Forum! :)

From everything I hear, the 1600 is a fine mill, if ya want to cut with one of them little bandsaw thingys.  Look at ALL the mills in ALL the types.  The TK may well be the best mill for you, but you won't know until you check out all of them. ;)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

uplander

Hello and welcome paka from one sorta new guy to another.
If you are crazy so are the rest of us.
There are many here on or about the same path as you, myself included.
I think alot of us get mills because we want to build a structure and have access
to the trees to do it.

Good luck, Uplander
Woodmizer lt40G28.  A kubota L4600 with loader and forks.
Various Stihl saws and not enough time to use them!
Finished my house finally. Completely sawn out on by band mill. It took me 7 years but was worth it. Hardest thing I have ever done.

Weekend_Sawyer

Sounds like a good plan, ya nut!

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

thecfarm

paka,I was asking how big is the saw mill,hp motor,hyds,debaker etc.I could go to the website,but you may get a few add ons.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

sawguy21

paka, welcome to the asyl errr forum. Sounds like you will fit in just fine here.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

LeeB

If'in ya ain't nuts now, you will be after hangin out with us for a while. Welcome paka.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

sgtmaconga

you will love the Timberking. i have the 1220 and using it to build my barn. (check out the pics)
Measure twice cut once

zopi

Quote from: paka on January 29, 2008, 09:40:06 PM
AM I NUTS

Yes.  ;D

but then this is coming from a guy who live in a 170 year old house AND has a (new) sawmill habit... :D

it's like crack..I'm feenin' 'cause I haven't cracked a log in a couple days...fun tho'
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

ErikC

AM I NUTS?

Prob'ly. But you'll get lot's of good info on here to help you cope, as there is not a known cure. If you're going off the deep end, might as well go in good company. :)
And welcome!

Erik
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

MikeH

Yep, your nuts but nuts have more fun. ;D Just try not to go bankrupt.

Handy Andy

I was just lookin at a 1600 on ebay last nite.  Check the for sales on this forum, sometimes  you can get a good deal.  Wish I had the 1600's hydraulics.  Yeah, you might be nuts, but join the club.  Jim
My name's Jim, I like wood.

OneWithWood

Paka, you are certifiable. 

It takes on to know one  8)

Welcome. 
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Nate Surveyor

Quote from: OneWithWood on January 31, 2008, 11:19:15 AM
Paka, you are certifiable. 

It takes on to know one  8)

Welcome. 

I second that.

Nate
I know less than I used to.

paka

TK1600 on sale 17',36'',25hp.,hyd. loader,turner, up down, feed ,chain tuner. sale end's soon what cha think? Happy Valentine's Day Sweet He smiley_loveart!!  smiley_love smiley_love 8) 8) 8)

WDH

DanG paka, you really are nuts :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!