iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

11" at the Small End, 19" at Butt

Started by Cedarman, January 15, 2014, 04:33:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cedarman

And 44' 11" between .
Came in with a big truck load of tree length ERC.
Longest log that size at small end I have ever seen.
Has a few small bends, so can't saw it that long.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Cedarman

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on January 15, 2014, 04:38:52 PM
Got a picture?  :)
Will see if I can get one tomorrow afternoon after the snow quits blowing.  I have the whole load laid out to mark, so should get a nice pic.  It actually doesn't look that impressive with some really big, but shorter logs close by.

clww

Perhaps if you stood it on end and took a selfie?
I feel that would look most impressive. ;D
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

ancjr

Never seen such a thing in my life.  I saw a load you had in the back of the lot when I was there, everything there bigger than any I'd ever seen.  :)

hackberry jake

Poor guy was probably trying to compete with hardwood trees for light. Probably growing somewhere down low too, like in the bottom of a valley. The tallest trees on my place are growing at the base of a bluff and competing with trees that are on top of the bluff.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

drobertson

11" at 44', I'm thinking this is bout right,  crooks bout par for the course,   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

mesquite buckeye

Really cool, but indicative of what is possible. I'm sure we could get fast growing, large trees of good form with a little work. Have you seen this one?

http://oak.snr.missouri.edu/forestry/log/karow58.pdf

Good old days stuff. They used to get lots of cedar with 4 - 8' logs regularly. I'm sure we can do it again. ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

1woodguy

I haven't seen any like that around here
The bigger ones are 30or more inches at the butt and afew inches on top

If I had a bunch like that I would build a 40+ tall fence to keep the dinosaurs out of the back yard my wife's little dogs make such a mess when they tear them up ;D
Experience is a rough teacher first you get the test later comes the lesson!

ancjr

Biggest I'm aware of is 34-36 at the butt and becomes a bush at 10ft from being  pruned.  Kinda looks like a fat evergreen palm tree.   Know of a few in the 20-24" butt size, 20ft tall.  My personal best is 14" and 30ft, where it tapers to nothing.

mesquite buckeye

I've got lots of them in my managed stand that are 16' to the first branch and very little taper. I think the trick is to give them enough room to grow, but not enough room to get to be fat bushes. Even those fat bushes will turn into tall trees eventually if the canopy closes. ;D

Sort of like these. ;D 8) 8) 8)
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

ancjr

The fat ones I mentioned are pruned lawn trees.

Mine are crowded in with tulip poplar.  They're just like bottle brushes, limbs to the ground.  They get leggier and leggier until they die, or the ice and snow snaps or even topples them.  :/

All my healthy ERC is in the edges.

Impressive to see what they can do on good sites!

backwoods sawyer

Quote from: clww on January 15, 2014, 05:29:34 PM
Perhaps if you stood it on end and took a selfie?
I feel that would look most impressive. ;D

How about a flying elephant foot? :D

1 3/4" taper every 8' makes for good recovery ;D
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Fla._Deadheader

Here is how they grow in the DEEP South, in Florida.  My 6' tall Son.

All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Cedarman

Finally have a few photos to add.

One of the nicest , longest ERC to come in.
There were a lot of nice logs on that load.

red oaks lumber

wow, the wind did a really good job blowing the snow away :D nice looking cedar  man ;D
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Ocklawahaboy

Quote from: Fla._Deadheader on January 16, 2014, 05:35:29 AM

Here is how they grow in the DEEP South, in Florida.  My 6' tall Son.

I see lots of yard trees that size but few woods trees left that big.

drobertson

Big, long, ole cedars, mercy sakes,   
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

mesquite buckeye

Magicman

Yup, those are some top quality logs.  They strongly resemble $$$.    ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

I may have some just like that,19" on the big end,11 on the other. But mine would be about 20 feet long.  :( Than have a hole in the butt that I can shove my arm into.  ::) Nothing that about a 8 foot cut won't solve.  ::)
That is some nice looking cedar!! About how long?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

Nice cedars. ;D

The beavers killed all the remaining big cedar I had along the creek, some over 200 years old. But this should do, 36" at breast height. That's how we grow'm up on the glaciers. ;D

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

shelbycharger400

round here, tree line planted 1906, the red cedars are running 14 to 30 .  Everything that was 24 and up is hollow and has heavy flair for the first 4 to 6 foot.  Just have 9 left to fall.  And a nice pile of logs under the snow.  Quite a few of them made out 3-4 sawlogs with the small end around 10 in.   Cutting them is a lot of work!!  Overgrown bush. 

Thank You Sponsors!