iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

BIRDS

Started by Bro. Noble, December 16, 2004, 10:19:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

Nice pictures swampdonkey.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WV Sawmiller

Saw our community white robin today. David, our neighbor saw my wife in our local hardware store 3 years ago and said "Oh, you're a photographer. I've been looking for one." My wife is a free lance photographer with pictures from all over the world from our travels. David said he had a white robin hanging around his place and had the biologist from one of our big local state parks verify it. David told Becky about the bird and when we returned we stopped and spotted it. Over the next several days she got several good pictures of it, the best being it feeding on wild grapes in a big sycamore tree. That was in the late summer or early Fall. Becky printed David an 8X10 and he showed it all over town.

We saw David a few weeks ago and he said the bird has been coming back every year. I saw it fly past as I drove by so turned around and went back. Stopped and he came back pretty soon and lit on the power line then pitched down in a fresh plowed garden plot. he hopped around in typical robin fashion. I called Becky and let her know where he was but she could not come back and get more shots but may in the next few days. The robin must have a nest nearby. The first time I saw it fly by it looked like it had a twig in her beak.

Its not a true albino with pink eyes and complete white body. It has a few black feathers and such. I am surprised it has lived this long and returned to the same place but it is neat to see it.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

SwampDonkey

More "blue" birds. This time a nesting pair of blue jays in a mixed row of spruce and pine in the yard. Sitting in a yellow birch.

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

mesquite buckeye

Had a little wild kingdom action while milling mesquite. A family of horned owls was fledging and a raven and a red tailed hawk decided a little owl veal would make a nice afternoon snack. Wasn't able to get the dive bomb passes in a photo, but here is mom with 2 of the three babies huddling next to her.

Mom was a good fighter, and the hungrys eventually gave up...
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Chuck White

Nice pic, rare scene to catch on film.

We have a few Humming Birds back from their Southern vacation!

They'll never learn not to fight!  They're very territorial.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

SwampDonkey

I was about 10 feet today within a black duck nest with a ribboned line. I marked it with a safety ribbon for anyone coming upon it with a brush saw. They will probably be hatched and waddled down to the beaver pond before the place gets thinned.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

sandhills

Saw a pair of mallards and a pair of teal on one of our pasture dams the other day so hopefully they've started nesting there and hang around, I enjoy watching the little ones through the summer.

Chuck White

I also noticed yesterday that some of the Barn Swallows are back, they're a little early!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

SwampDonkey

We don't get many barn swallows any more. But the tree swallows have been around for almost 3 weeks now. We have a couple nest boxes in the yard, and 4 pairs of swallows fighting for one, the other occupied by blue birds.  ;D

Generally, we kept track of the barn swallows when they were in large numbers, up until 1996 when they died off from unusually cold late May weather. They would arrive around May 20.

sprucebunny

Rose breasted grosbeak. Haven't seen one for a couple years.

MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

SwampDonkey

Not many of them around for sure. Nice birds. I see a few, not many, mosty hear them. They kind of sound robin-like. The first time I noticed them was on the woodlot a few years ago. Never noticed them before.

Chuck White

We have several pairs of Rose Breasted GrossBeaks here.

They are everyday visitors to our window feeder box to get their dose of blackoil Sunflower seeds!

We used to have lots of Evening GrossBeaks, but since we started having milder winters in this area, we rarely see them anymore!

thecfarm

We have been seeing a cardinal at the feeder, Well the platform one,just about a foot square,flat. First one here. I know others get them about 10 miles from me.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

We have them here year around, but they are very few, not like flocks of robins.  ;D :D

Onthesauk

We've moved back into the city but have a green belt and creek that runs through the development.  A week or so ago I had a barred owl wake me up about 4:00AM in the morning.  Then last night had two of them hooting, just after 4:00AM.  Have never heard two of them together like that before, even when living in the woods.  Have heard that it is how they define their territory so unusual to hear two of them.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

Ianab

A couple of locals taken up winter residence the garden this week. They seem to move down from the forest around the mountain when it gets colder, and hang out in town gardens and farmland.

First is a Waxeye.

And a fantail or Piwakawaka

These guys are infuriating to try and photograph as they never sit still. They are very tame and will fly within a few feet of you chasing insects you might disturb, and catching them on the wing. But next second they are 50 ft away  :D

Have Tui, Bellbirds and Kereru hanging around too, which are larger birds, but they are a bit more wary, so more of a challenge to get a good shot of.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

runmca

This hawk was just perched in our backyard. At first we thought is was protecting something because it wouldn't take off as we got closer. After we got the dog inside it just hobbled around the yard and we realized it had an injury on the left side. Unfortunately none of the raptor rescues in our area were able to come out until the next day and we couldn't keep it contained in our yard.

Chuck White

Always sad to hear of such injuries, but you got some real nice pics!

tule peak timber

A visitor last week 

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Ianab

These birds are known as Tui, They are a type of honeyeater, but quite a large (about 12" long), vocal and boisterous one. Every winter they seem to move down from the native forest in the National Park, and hang out in the parks and gardens around town, where there are various introduced trees that flower or fruit. Once the weather warms up a bit they all seem to migrate about 10 miles the road into the forest and make their nests there. The pictures are shot around the girls school, they are quite proud of their birdlife, and have maybe 30-40 of the birds in around the school at the moment.

This guy was feeding in a small flowering cherry tree just outside Taylors classroom.

And another one at their favourite food this time of year, Kowhai. Being a large bird they can't hover like a hummingbird, so they just do whatever acrobatics they need to reach the flowers and nectar.  :D

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Kbeitz

Every year 1000's of birds come to our old Christmas tree farm to sleep.

https://youtu.be/E_8xepEfDn8
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Peter Drouin

Good you have a place for them.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Magicman

If those are Blackbirds, Yuck.  They completely overrun some of our towns breaking tree limbs and leaving their thick deposits of crap.  Some towns have to resort to the use of "propane cannons" to try to relocate the nasty/stinking Blackbirds.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Savannahdan

I had a house in Louisville that was plagued with those things.  They would fly into the tree at the back of the house and poop all over the place.  Only good thing was I had excellent target practice with my 12 gauge and the feral cats enjoyed the birds that hit the dirt.
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

Kbeitz

What ever they are they only stay the night...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Thank You Sponsors!