iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

white oak staves

Started by Hugh Darty, February 21, 2015, 11:18:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hugh Darty

Anybody out there sawing white oak staves? Thinking about getting into the business. If you are, what type setup do you use? Thanks.
Hugh

beenthere

Where are you located?  Would help if you fill out your bio...  ;)

Do you have stave buyers around you, or need to ship staves?

And what are the grade and sizes that the stave buyers will buy from you?

Would you be taking stave bolts from your current logging op, or try buying stave bolts to saw?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

JB Griffin

You better have a pocket full of money if you are gonna buy stave bolts. Around here they bring $1 bdft in log form.
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

Hugh Darty

Sorry guys, haven't been on here since 05, my profile is now updated. yep, stave logs are expensive, even here in north alabama. paid 80 cents a foot for some a few days ago. sawed out pretty well, stave buyer will see them monday. :)
Hugh

JB Griffin

I would like some more info on how they buy em, by the piece or ?
I imagine they will be graded hard as the least little ole defect ruins them.
There are two stave mills within 20mi of me, and I have built 40"x72" pallets for one of them a while back. Quite the operation they have there, the logs are loaded on a green chain and run to a slasher and the bolts are feed on another green chain to a busting saw with 56" head saw and short carriage, split in half, then the halves are split again and put on a conveyer to the resaw, outfeed from the resaw to another conveyer that seperates the stave blanks from the cores and the cores land on a carousal table and are fed back to the resaw, flipped and sawed again. The stave blanks are sent down a conveyer to the first of 2 edgers, at the first edger the pith is trimmed off, at the 2nd the bark and sapwood is removed, then graded and stacked on pallets with air gaps between them, 1200 pieces to a pallet I think. They will stay on the pallet for at least a year while they air dry for wiskey barrel staves then sent to the kiln, wine barrel staves are air dried for 2 years and not kilned at all.

Like I said quite the operation. smiley_whacko
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

Thank You Sponsors!