iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Advice and opinions on Ford's 6.0 diesel

Started by forester2009, October 13, 2015, 06:02:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

forester2009

Looking at buying a new vechile and came across a 2007 ford f350 with the 6.0 diesel.   I've heard the early models of those engines were problematic.   I'd to here from guys that have or had them.  Walk away or consider purchasing?
2006 WoodMizer lt70 Cat diesel Command Control,  Corley Two Blade edger, Case W7 wheelloader,  Old Hmc Debarker,  Cat Genset

gspren

Not all went bad but enough did that I'd walk away. If you want an older Ford look at 7.3s or if you can swing a newer one look at 6.7s.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

snowstorm

07 was a short year. ford only made 07's for a few months so the 08 with the 6.4 could come out early. the 07 6.0 was considered the best year. i had 2 now have 1 6.0 along with a 6.7 and 2 7.3's. someone is bound to say they are junk they are not. fuel pumps will give up in the 70 to 100000 mile range. bolth of mine did. its not a big deal to change its bolted to the frame. ficm same as the fuel pumps for mileage. have the truck scanned and see what the ficm voltage is. should be 48 volts its been a while since i scanned mine. egr coolers and valve. the best thing is take it out an throw it in the Dumpster. once the egr cooler is gone a lot of the problems go away. and no tunes. a lot of the head gasket trouble was from tuners and the egr cooler leaking coolant dose not compress well. the dodge boys will be along saying if it dosent have a cummins its no good. i own 2 cummins motors i just dont want one in a pickup. and the gm guys well they just dislike anything that isnt gm

snowstorm

and..... the auto trans that the 6.0 used is very good. a 7.3 would have either a e4od and the later 7.3 used the 4r1oo bolth ok just not a torqueshift.

forester2009

Very good.  I have heard both sides of the story on those trucks.  Would you recommend dealing with the egr cooler right away or can it wait.  The truck in question has 135k on it now
2006 WoodMizer lt70 Cat diesel Command Control,  Corley Two Blade edger, Case W7 wheelloader,  Old Hmc Debarker,  Cat Genset

snowstorm

with 135k on it its most likely its been replaced once along with the ficm. is it at a dealer ?or privet sale? take the vin # to a ford dealer and ask them to run an oasis report it will list all work that a ford dealer did since new

JB Griffin

All I know is, egr delete and cat converter delete( if your state allows that, Arkansas don't require um) and they do much better, still no 7.3 but better than a gasser. That 5spd torqshift is supposed to be real good.
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

OneWithWood

EGR delete and the DPF delete can be good things.  Usually that means it has been re-programmed with an after market program.  Find out what tuner was used and research that particular tuner.  Was the DPF removed from the vehicle?  A replacement DPF is pricey.  If it was removed does it come with the truck?  If not was the existing DPF cored? 
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

forester2009

Thank you very much.  Are the transmission in those trucks pretty stout.  It has a automatic.

snowstorm

the 6.0 dose not have dpf or def. i have never had any trouble with the 5 sp auto. when they came out in 03 there was a snap ring inside the trans that would come off. most of the time it was only in plow trucks going f to r every few mins. all were recalled and fixed

Grizzly

I replaced the ICM (Injector Control Module) at around 85km (53,000 miles) and then replaced all injectors, oil cooler, and EGR at around the 160km (100,000 miles). I should have just done the head gaskets and head studs but was trying to save a dollar. Well the truck is now at around 360km (223,000 miles) and is down due to a leaking head gasket. This engine is good for high miles if the right work is done on time and the above weaknesses are the only ones I know of. No problems with the transmission other than too few gears but then I've been a big rig driver for a lot of years and like the small splits to keep the engine in it's correct power band. Nothing to be scared of just do the correct maintenance and updates and the thing will run for a long time. Just my $.02.....  ($.016 USD)

Lyle
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

Gadrock

I am that guy that had the complete gamut of issues withy the 6.0. The finality was a high milage truck that should have been worth 15,000 dollars turned into 2,500 dollars. Several so called mechanics worked on it changing this and that relay along with starter and batteries and more. Motor turned over but no one could crank it.

Sold it to some folks in Ga and they cut the serpentine belt...cranked just fine. The final problem was a seized a/c pump! It soon gave them a whole bunch of issues toward failure so they got rid of it too.

I have had 2 Ford diesels. Most likely I will not have another. The local dealership had said they could put in a used motor for $8,500 PLUS $2,500 to lift the cab to do the work...PLUS install time.

Ford did me in real good. It will require a very smooth-talking salesman-salesperson to get me back.

My Dodges work. NOT as nice a Ford cab...but they work.

David G

carry on
LT40 G18,   bent Cresent wrench,   broken timing light
Prentice 280 loader, Prentice 2432 skidder, Deere 643J fellerbuncher, Deere 648H skidder, Deere 650H Dozer

Thank You Sponsors!