iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Building With NW Cedar

Started by BWG, April 07, 2005, 10:17:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BWG

I'm building a cabin this spring/summer and will be using a bunch of NW cedar that is currently on the property.  I'm planning to mill it myself with my chainsaw mill, turning it into boards for roofing, siding for an outbuilding, and lumber for the framing. 

Who's got experience building with this type of wood?  The trees I'm milling are old (some over 100years) and are straight, even if they aren't big.  Average size of the logs I'm using are 8"-14"

I'm just interested in know how cedar, being so light, compares to other dimensional lumber for building purposes.  I've got loads of it that is down already and will go to waste if I don't use it. 

Any comments?  Thanks guys.

Karl_N.

I can't think of a reason why not. I don't know particulars but from my experience with it, cedar, though light is plenty strong. I know it takes a nail well and screws even better.  I've got blowdowns everywhere, even stuff that has been on the ground for x number of years is still sound.
The only reservation I would have would be how dull a couple of cuts will make your chain, Cedar has something in it that really takes the sharp out of metal.
Karl

BWG

Thanks Karl N.  Yeah, I agree!  Cedar is nice stuff as far as rot resistance.  I love how it cuts, easiest wood we've got around here in northern Michigan to cut through.  I'm looking forward to getting it into boards. 

Timber_Framer

I try and get my hands on as much white cedar as I can, the problem is up here they logged most of it off in the 80's so there is very little large enouhg to work with.
One consideration when working with dimentional lumber made with WC is I would suggest using nothing smaller then 2"x6" in my frame and 2"x8" for rafter or roof joists. It's nice to have a bit more wood as WC has a tendancy to split!
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

mometal77

Cedar is great for vertical loads but not horizontal why some use fir instead of cedar depending on how the lay of your cabin is going to be.
Too many Assholes... not enough bullets..."I might have become a millionaire, but I chose to become a tramp!

Thank You Sponsors!