iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Telephone poles

Started by sandman2234, April 09, 2006, 02:37:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandman2234

I know a guy with a house that was sided with lumber cut from telephone poles. Took years for the smell to disapate. The guy that cut them is long gone.
   Is there a drawback to cutting old creosote poles into lumber? What type of costs would it incur, compared to regular logs?
      David from jax

getoverit

There seems to be an abundance of those in our area.

The only thing I can see as a drawback is that *some* in the environmental groups seem to think that creosote is a hazardous waste. If the poles arent, the sawdust is. They would be the ones to ask about this issue.

My creosote pole barn has been standing in good shape for over 40 years, and looks as good as they day we built it
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

mike_van

David, do a search on the forum for "poles" "creosote" etc - There's been a few threads on this subject, lots to read here.
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

Jeff

http://www.onlinelawyersource.com/creosote/index.html

I think Ken, in environmental groups, its closer to "ALL"

Creosote is absolutely and undeniably a carcinogen and an environmental hazard. Anyone choosing to live in it and work with it should understand that and not be lulled into any sort of false security that "Some" think it is O.K. because its a scentific fact that it is not.

To be even more blunt on my opinion on the safety of working in and around creosote, I offer this analogy:

"My creosote pole barn has been standing in good shape for over 40 years, and looks as good as they day we built it"

Thats also the reasoning for using embalming fluid. To keep things from deteriorating.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

highpockets

I's buy a reel of blade material, a blade welder, and a good face mask.  I was getting 5 ea. 20' cuts per blade.
Louisiana Country boy
homemade mill, 20 h.p. Honda & 4 h.p. for hydraulics.  8 hydraulic circuits, loads, clamps, rotates, etc.

thurlow

I've cut hundreds and hundreds (maybe thousands) of used utility poles into lumber and corral/fence/corner posts.  Cresote is DEFINITELY a carcinogen;  I've always covered up completely and used a good haz/mat........not just  dust........mask when sawing it.  Don't want the dust on my skin or in my lungs.   They're no harder to saw than any other logs, but if they came from an urban environment, you can bet they're full of metal, especially staples, where folks have put up yard sale signs, etc.  There is NO WAY I would use it around a home or where people would come into daily contact with it.
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

red

ah  telephone poles  ...  utility poles    hummmmmmm 

can it be done of course /   should it be done maybe not

would you do it everyday   NO

but they do have  some good uses   dock pilings, bridge building

not all poles  are the same either 
the is a way to read the tin label to tell

for years we have all built decks out of pressure treated wood and knew the dangers of breathing  the sawdust everyday

anyhow wish i had more specific info    other then  there are alot of poles around and more and more people want to make boards out of them

red

Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

stumpy

I divide Utility poles into different categories.  Those that I won't saw, and those that I saw with caution. With Cedar I personaly will not saw the part of  the pole that is treated with creosote. That would be the bottom 10 feet.
With pine, I saw them but only while wearing a mask and sleeves and gloves.
Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

getoverit

just so the record is clear... I don't saw creosote telephone poles. The reason has nothing to do with environmental issues though, the reason is because of the effects on saw blades and saw teeth. I also dont want to deal with the cleanup of the sawdust.
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

jackpine

Had a fellow from the local power co. stop by yesterday and asked if I sawed power poles. He said they were cedar poles, not pine.

I told him I would not saw the butts with the creasote as I did some last year and NEVER AGAIN. The upper portion is hard enough on bands but to put up with the creasote on top of it makes it a losing proposition.

I have not sawn any of the pine poles so do not know how they compare to the cedar. I would think maybe a little less dust?

Bill

stumpy

Jackpine, I have sawn alot of cedar poles and agree, only above the creasote line. I also found that useing a metal detector and getting all the junk out first is valuable time spent. I have found that Lennox Woodmaster B blades work the best. They cost more, but hold a sharpen much longer when sawing dry red cedar, and if to miss omes small nails, they go through them with no affect.

I have sawn some pine poles as well and they sw just fine and are not as tough on blades.  I do, however, wear a mask and cover up pretty good. The saw dust could be nasty.  Ask the power company for their data sheet on the treatment they use in the pine poles. They usually give it out with the poles. You see that while there are some precautions to take. The danger is very low.

Jeff

Stumpy, I don't understand how the dangers can be determined to be very low by looking at the data sheets.  I would think the data sheets are prepaired with handling of the poles in mind, not further processing. Kicking up sawdust and impregnated chemicals into the air and possibly onto your skin and into your lungs is certainly not covered in the data sheet is it?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

isawlogs

I sawed one pole and wont ever do it again . I get calls to cut them up but wont ...  I am already pushing my luck with nicotine  :-\   
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Buzz-sawyer

My view is that theyare nasty to cut ........ (read I dont wanna :D)...at least not tooo often ::)

but very useful and safe when used in acordance with special use pesticide standards ;) ;)
Creasote is still being produced and used my the metric tonnes every day. :)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

stumpy

I was refering only to the Penta treated pine poles. Not the creosote. The data sheet talks about handling. It prescribes wearing gloves and prolonged contact with skin should be washed with soap and water.
After talking to the utility company safety director, I added the need for a good respirator mask, gloves, and long sleeves. I always wear ear and eye protection, but when I saw these poles, I substitute goggles instead of glasses as well as a face shield.

9shooter

I've got a pile of 'em next to the barn. These cedar poles were 80' before a tornado shortened them. I was planning on sawing some into 6x6 poles for a lean-to for my firewood piles At 2' on the butt end I should be able to get plenty of poles. I guess I'll wait for a calm day and wear a good air filter. I'll use a chainsaw mill, probably need plenty of chain.
Earth First! We'll log the other planet's later!

Thank You Sponsors!