iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Close Call

Started by D._Frederick, February 18, 2010, 07:54:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D._Frederick

I was using my new zero clearance insert on my PM 66 to size a 20 X 24 piece 3/4 inch plywood. I needed to take off half a blade width and had pushed it through the saw.

I guess that I did not clear the back of the blade and the teeth caught it and threw it over the top of the saw blade. Didn't  hurt me but really scared me. It bent a section of the blade teeth and I spent an hour with a dial indicator getting the saw back to 0.005.

I alway but the guard on to prevent this from happening, but this insert is not cut out to allow the guard to fit.  It will be made to work with the guard!

fishpharmer

Glad your ok.  Stuff like that can happen in a blink.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Warbird

Yeah, that would have scared the crap out of me.  Glad you are okay.

Tom

I got the middle finger of my left hand nibbled away from a kickback like that.  I had foolishly sawed a too-small piece of wood and it kicked.  I think I subconsciously grabbed at it and the end of my finger all of a sudden looked like a fire cracker had gone of in it.  It happened so quick... and the saw didn't even change pitch.  Boy!  I won't do that again. :-\

beenthere

After I had that happen once  :o :o :o, I put a splitter in behind the blade (same spot the guard bolts on).

Keeps the piece from binding and climbing up the blade.

I'm surprised you could bend the teeth and blade back straight (or close).
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

LeeB

If you did indeed bend the teeth back I would give serious thought to trashing the blade any way. Flying iron is dangerous. Some of the teeth may be damaged enough to launch.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

D._Frederick

No teeth were bent, the blade itself was/is sprung by one of the slots cut into it for vibration or what ever.  I got it close to having it straighten out, but getting the last 20% would take to much time. There are much better blades now being made.

CHARLIE

This boy doesn't stand behind any board I'm cutting.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

4x4American

Today I had a bit of a close call...I had a cant on the mill and I went in front of the head to measure where the pith was and I didn't realize it but I had the drum switch in forward and the debarker was spinning.  The debarker alarm is unplugged due to multiple noise complaints on portable jobs and from neighbors, and I didn't realize it was spinning.  I stood up and back a bit and the debarker blade nicked me in the back ever so slightly.  It didn't break skin that I know but I felt it and it could have been alot worse.  Could have grabbed my shirt and pulled me in, could have gouged a piece out of my back...etc.  My guardian angel is real good to me!  It was definitely a friendly reminder to pay attention!  Be careful out there my friends!
Boy, back in my day..

WDH

Go buy a lottery ticket while you are at it, and take advantage of all your good luck. 

Scary.  That could have been nasty. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

4x4American

That's a good idea I just might go get a lottery ticket!  Never really had much luck with them though!
Boy, back in my day..

Thank You Sponsors!