iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My first raised panel.

Started by hackberry jake, July 08, 2015, 09:04:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hackberry jake

I wanted to try out the new shaper tooling so I decided to try raising a panel. I barely took anything off on the first pass and hogged way too much on the second pass. The panel was just a scrap piece I had laying around the shop. Too thick for an actual panel but it worked for testing. The cut is surprisingly smooth. I expected that with high speed steel knives. Now we will just have to see how long they last.

https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

sandsawmill14

hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

yukon cornelius

Awesome! I love seeing all your toys. Are you making a door?
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

hackberry jake

I have a job coning up making raised panel doors out of pecan. The walnut piece will not be a door... I don't think.

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

WDH

I did not think that you could use the word scrap and walnut in the same sentence  :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Larry

Looks good.  If you make two passes make sure you don't go too deep on the first pass as it won't clean up on the second pass.

Hard to explain, but on the first pass you can go only as deep as the square part of the molding.

If you get any dip, bumps, or snipe it will be because of your two piece fence.  I like a one piece fence but I don't know if it will work will your head.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

hackberry jake

I have plans of making four or five one piece fences for different profiles. I just couldn't wait to try it out  ;D

Magicman

Quote from: hackberry jake on July 08, 2015, 09:20:02 PM
I have a job coning up making raised panel doors out of pecan.
Go easy, Pecan is prone to tear out.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I give you credit Hack....when you get something on your mind, you do what it takes and it always comes out looking good.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Just Me

Jake

I use one piece fences as well, much safer as they can't tip in. I used to cut them out of plywood with a small piece below the cutter, and I still do except I now make my cut out of the bottom, then screw on a piece of aluminum to bridge the gap. You have to carve out a semi-circle for the spindle and with wood there is not much left for strength, so with the aluminum there is no problem. They are much easier to make this way.

I use a power feed, and you have to have a one piece bottom if you want to run a powerfeed or it will tip in and get real ugly. Also I cut a circle the size of the cutter and screw it to the fence over the cutter.

If anyone needs one there is a brand new Garniga insert head listed on the Sawmill Creek classifieds for $450. Thats about half price.

Larry

Thank You Sponsors!