iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New to me Clark skidder

Started by celliott, November 26, 2017, 05:16:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

celliott

Well, I just bought a Clark 666c. Price was right, figured I couldn't go too wrong for a machine that runs good and pulls wood, I can always sell it and get my money back  :D
It's got a 4-53 detroit that fired up real good, a clark winch, 2 speed clark trans, 23.1x26 tires (pretty bald) and ring chains on all 4. The cradle pins are a bit loose, but not terrible. Arch needs some welding, someone got rowdy with the tree pusher  :laugh:

I'm intending to pull wood on the weekends with it as a side job. We'll see how it goes after running tubing and tapping trees on snowshoes all week.

Anyways, a few questions- Where do you add transmission fluid and hydraulic fluid? Straight weight oil for Detroit I've heard? (4-53) Regular transmission fluid?

I know, I know, you want pics. Smart ole me left my cellphone right in the truck and forgot all about it. I'll get some when I get it trucked home. It's gonna go to my boss's shop so I can take care of a few things before it hits the woods.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

longtime lurker

Straight weight oil for detroit and has to be compatible with detroit. 2 stroke diesel oil isnt like 4 stroke diesel oil - different additives.

Lift the foot plate hyd oil reservoir will be on the left hand side. Trans and convertor are integrated and have a cap right about under your right heel. Transmission and convertor are a hot check.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

celliott

Thanks lurker.

Any idea on width height and length? Width being most important... 23.1x26 tires. Shoulda measured when I looked at it... I know it weighs around 18k lbs
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

ScottAR

Delo 100 sae 40 matches the specs the closest. 
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

treeslayer2003

Quote from: celliott on November 26, 2017, 07:30:07 PM
Thanks lurker.

Any idea on width height and length? Width being most important... 23.1x26 tires. Shoulda measured when I looked at it... I know it weighs around 18k lbs
with 23s it should be a little over 8' wide

celliott

Thanks for the info guys. Hopefully getting it trucked home this weekend, it's gonna be at my boss's place so I can tinker on it there before putting it into the woods, I'm sure I'll have lots of questions once I get into this thing.
Definitely first on the list is an oil change, would like to change the transmission fluid and filter as well, should I get into the rearends and change the gear oil out in those?
The front cradle pins are a bit sloppy, how hard of a job is that? I don't want them to egg out the parent metal, but not sure how bad they really are (and how they would hold up to just occasional use)
There's a seal leaking on the trans, not bad but it's something. Not sure which seal.

I'm just hoping I don't have any tire trouble. Two of them are pretty bald, there's 3 new tubes in them, the chains are pretty worn too (rings all 4) I just can't see buying new tires for weekend use. Someone told me ice chains might give a bit more protection for the tire, definitely more traction than worn out rings.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

Maine logger88

My 540 with 23.1s is 9'2" wide not sure on a Clark but I would think it would be somewhere around that. I would definitely drain the rear ends and planetarys and put in fresh with a machine you just bought cause you don't know how long it's been. Ice chains are my preference but I know many who prefer rings
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

celliott

Well it made it home this morning  8)

Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

celliott

It says 666D but it's definitely a C by the serial number, don't know why someone painted the D on there.

Gonna get the arch welded, change the oil, trans fluid, diff oil, etc. soon, and take a close look at the front cradle pins and see if I should tackle those now or if it can stand to be put into the woods and done later. I'm more inclined to do it now as I have a shop I can work in.

I'm on the hunt for a set of used 23.1x26 ice chains. Maybe a tire too...
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

thecfarm

Good luck with it. Post some action pictures!!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

Puffergas

Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

Maine logger88

Looks good! Also if it were a D it would have a 3 speed trans. There's a used set of double diamonds on maine cl

celliott

Thanks I'll check the chains out.

It has a slot for work and travel but no lever. I assumed it was just removed years ago. It's fine, high and low are plenty
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

Maine logger88

The D series were 3 work speeds. Every Clark I have ran has had the work travel unhooked as well. I was told they were dangerous in travel cause they went way faster than you wanna go with stick steer. Those b and c series with a 2 speed are a simple tough machine!

celliott

So Delo 100 straight weight for oil, dexron for atf, regular 80-90 for the rear ends? Anything I'm missing?

Totally green to owning equipment. Been around it plenty, ran a few skidders but this is my first machine. I want to take care of it and avoid or at least help prevent expensive repairs.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

mike_belben

Dont forget a 55gal drum of Good Luck!   ;D
Praise The Lord

Stephen Alford

Very nice.. first glance at that tree pusher on the back would indicate she may have pushed more than she pulled.. ;D   Couple things that you may want to add to your list ..install block heater they are cheap and with a little bend on the element an easy install. This would give you a chance to change out the antifreeze and add a bit of that conditioner. Change the air filter and check air kill on intake to make sure its all good.  Power kill switch  and secondary back up kill switch; so it cannot be started by a stranger easily. 20 LB abc fire extinguisher. Keep an eye out for an ol school cable cutter. Suck out the fuel tank and check for debris . Not a big job but can save you hours of grief.   :)  Hope to see some action shots.  Good luck !
logon

celliott

Quote from: Stephen Alford on December 03, 2017, 08:56:10 AM
  Very nice.. first glance at that tree pusher on the back would indicate she may have pushed more than she pulled.. ;D   Couple things that you may want to add to your list ..install block heater they are cheap and with a little bend on the element an easy install. This would give you a chance to change out the antifreeze and add a bit of that conditioner. Change the air filter and check air kill on intake to make sure its all good.  Power kill switch  and secondary back up kill switch; so it cannot be started by a stranger easily. 20 LB abc fire extinguisher. Keep an eye out for an ol school cable cutter. Suck out the fuel tank and check for debris . Not a big job but can save you hours of grief.   :)  Hope to see some action shots.  Good luck !

You're definitely right about the pusher  :D Someone pushed too hard trying to free a stuck saw was the story I got and it peeled the arch right off the frame. It's rebolted and welded with two pieces of plate, but the welds are coming undone. Gonna get it welded and it should be fine from here on out, I tend to cut using wedges, I don't anticipate pushing many trees with the arch.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

celliott

So I'm doing some searching to find out what fluid to run in the trans and found a post saying to run straight weight engine oil in the trans? Doesn't seem right to me. It has ATF in it now, any specific type of ATF to get or stay away from?
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

g_man

I don't know about your nice new skidder but my Dresser dozer with a power shift transmission calls for straight SAE 10 wt oil or HyTran in the transmission. I run HyTran type oil.

BTW is that Rte 15 or Rte 2 out front there ?? Either one I should recognize but I don't ????

gg

celliott

Quote from: g_man on December 03, 2017, 04:52:50 PM
I don't know about your nice new skidder but my Dresser dozer with a power shift transmission calls for straight SAE 10 wt oil or HyTran in the transmission. I run HyTran type oil.

BTW is that Rte 15 or Rte 2 out front there ?? Either one I should recognize but I don't ????

gg

It's RT 2 right in the middle of the construction zone. It landed at Goodrich's sugarhouse.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

treeslayer2003

Chris oldseabee said the new spec was 10wt oil, but the two speeds have run on ATF forever. i still run ATF, never any trouble, i don't think i'll change. dexron, don't use any new spec atf.

celliott

Thanks Treeslayer.
It has atf in it now I'm gonna stick with that.

Itching to get this thing into the woods! Hopefully by the new year I'll be able to pull a few hitches. Takes awhile to get things done when you only have weekends.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

celliott

Well got the oil changed, it definitely needed it. Fuel filters are changed, got gear oil changed in the back rearend, couldn't find the fill plug for the front, I'm gonna check in the manual but any suggestions?

Found the leaking seal- it's at the bottom of the transmission where the rear output shaft? Comes out. Gonna check in the manual for the seal number, get that on the way, change that out then I'll drain the trans fluid and change filter, it'll be ready to go!

Got the arch welded too, I think it'll hold up fine, I don't plan on pushing a lot of trees.
My buddy who just got done logging says I'm real spoiled getting to work on it in a heated shop. I'll take it while I can!
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

Thank You Sponsors!