iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

"Hypothetically speaking of course!"

Started by PJinN.E.Texas, August 13, 2012, 10:03:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PJinN.E.Texas

So, I'm scheduled to be home for R&R in early Oct.  I'm still in Afghanistan working (contracting).  I just saved enough money to pay off my house and now I will save enough money to put a down payment on a new truck (GMC) and then put the money aside to buy me an orange mill (used) when I come home in 18 months.  I want to build my own house among other things.
     Hypothetically speaking-  There is a man out there somewhere that wants to make fuel out of corn and sugar and yeast (among other things) and wants to filter it through char-coaled Sugar Maple like one of the whsky makers in Tennessee (Jack D.).  This will be the last filter process after it is filtered through activated charcoal and after it is "cut".  Do yall know of any other type of tree that is high in sugar and could possibly be used instead of Sugar Maple for the filtering process?  The only maple trees I know of in Texas are the Japanese maples you buy at the nurseries.  There has been thought about using char-coaled sugar cane but... not to sure about that one.  If anyone has first hand experience or knows someone with working experience, please share it with me if possible.
     There is already a "working" knowledge on this subject in hand.  Working overseas, one tends to come in contact with the type of apparatus that is to be used more than what you would think and the owners (multiple nationalities) are eager to share their knowledge of the product and talk about how they came up with the materials to make their "pots".  It's amazing what can be made with just sugar, water and yeast.  I should have wrote down more recipes!  The dangers of this type of work are understood clearly with no problems encountered in the past three years.  A significant amount of info was gone over and over until enough info was found to make the first run (first run was supervised).  The sense of smell goes a long way with this type of hobby.  There was a great teacher on hand to pass along his knowledge.  This has turned into a hobby and it would be nice if it could move forward into a more professional type of thing once I come home.  We all know of how hobbies turn into business'.  I'm looking for info on what type of char-coaled wood (with high sugar content) it could be filtered through like the one mentioned above.  I already have recipes to try upon my return.  Again, I'm just trying to find more types of wood for filtering and seeing what works and what doesn't.
     Jeff, if this is not an appropriate subject, I apologize and will understand if you must remove my post.  I have no desire to be kicked off of this wonderful forum.  This forum has got me through some rough times over here and I cherish being able to read the words of so many people I identify with. 
     Thank you all!   
-HARD WORK BUILDS CHARACTER-

PJ Mathews

Kansas

I don't know what all is available in your area, but if box elder is there, that is in the maple family, and I guess you can make maple syrup from them. So I would assume they have a high sugar content. If you are in NE Texas, we have had hard maple, which I am guessing is the same thing, come up from Southern Kansas to be custom cut. It might be looking to the east will get you what you need as well.

Oh, and save a jug for me.

Now that I think about it, I know a guy that deals in wholesale smoking wood, and goes all over the Arkansas/Texas area. If anyone would know where you could get the real thing he would be it. Shoot me a message when you get back and I will give you his phone number. We talk on occasion.

Thank You Sponsors!