iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

maple logs

Started by Dugsaws, April 02, 2003, 07:50:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dugsaws

does anyone saw  hard maple logs 18inches or larger on a regular basis with anything less than 24  hp if so what results are you having?
Doug

Jason_WI

Back in December I sawed 1800 bf of hard maple for flooring. The only log I had problems with was with a 20" that had shake. The blade tended to follow where the shake was. Other than that one log everything turned out ok on my Lumbermate 2000 with a 20 HP Honda. I have some more maple to saw in the next week or so that are 20"
Jason
Norwood LM2000, 20HP Honda, 3 bed extentions. Norwood Edgemate edger. Gehl 4835SXT

woodmills1

on the larger hardwood butt logs start from the small end.  the band will make a hump at the butt if you dont.  use less set and a 10 degree rake.  make sure your drive belt and the alternator belt are tight so you maximize power.  old maple and birch are very tough to saw.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Dugsaws

I sawed about 600 bd feet yesterday fresh cut and this stuff seemed to take more power than a big w/oak even put on a new blade and still took all my power with 24 hp.
Doug

Thank You Sponsors!