iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wack-o-logs

Started by Rick Schmalzried, April 09, 2003, 07:38:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Schmalzried

Thought I would post this wanna-be-gloat.  This pile of logs (looks to be mostly oak) is being collected about 1 1/2 miles from my place.   8) Sure wish I could get some of them for my use!

_         
|_| .  _ |
| \ | |_ |<

dewwood

Rick

Nice Whack!

It might not hurt to talk to someone at that yard and ask if they would be willing to sell a few logs.  Offer to pay a small premium over their normal price to make it worth their time.

It never hurts to ask.

Dewey
Selling hardwood lumber, doing some sawing and drying, growing the next generation of trees and enjoying the kids and grandkids.

Bibbyman

It'd be interesting to set up a mill at one end of the wack-o-logs and start sawing.  After each day (or half day),  reset the mill and start sawing again.  Stack all the slabs behind and lumber to one side.  Take a picture from the same prospective after each re-position of the mill.  When done,  sequence all the pictures together in an album so they could be paged through like some slow motion deal.

BTW,  we have bought logs from other mills and sold a few also.  All depends on who can make the best use of them. ;)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Jeff

I figure there is a day worth there. a lot less if you sort out the pulp. ;D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tom

:D  I figure there is at least two weeks there.  Pulp?  I don't cull some of you fellows.  Put it on the carriage and we'll make something out of it. :D

Jeff

Ya gotta remember my log moves and if I hit a dog square its a catastophic event, not like hitting one with a portable band.

Tom

Yeah, but circle mill guys don't hit dogs. :D  :-X :D :D

Experienced bandmillers don't either.  We just test new blade designs and their longivity. :D 8)

Jeff

I aint hit one in years but when you do, I'll tell ya what. its an event. :o

Tom

I'll bet.   Is that where that in-line string of holes in the roof come from? :D

biziedizie

Can anyone give me a ball park price on what those logs are worth?

Steve

Jeff

Nope, the in-line holes are just thrown teeth or holders. In-line would not describe hitting a dog, or the carriage. thats more of a random explosion.

Jeff

Tom

How much are Rick's logs worth, Jeff.......Ron......somebody?

ohsoloco

These pictures make me wanna saw  ;D

Gotta make some more phone calls to the tree guys

Jeff

Hard to say. Dont know the species or the sizes. Its hard to tell from the pic, nothing to scale them by.

I would guesstimate the logs in my pic at about 120 cords x 90 bucks a cord for 10 foot aspen. looks like the pile to the north is hardwood.  (north?) ;)

Jeff

Its hard to tell how big our logs are from that picture. Here is another I took that same day. This was last fall. Thats a size 12 and a half sneaker.

Tom

12 1/2?  That's a pretty good foundation.  If it's wide enough you might make it as a "swamper".  Least the version of it that we use around here.  I know, to you guys up there it means something else.    I'll have to find that old thread.  :P

biziedizie

OK Jeff lets go by your estimate and say that the logs are worth $11,000. Now let's say that whack of logs has been milled by ohsoloco and he's sitting there with a beer in his hand and a nice truck load of 2x material behind him, what would you estimate the logs to be worth now?
  I guess what I'm getting at is there a formula to look at a log and know what kinda cash you will be getting from it after you paid $90.00 for it.

Steve

Tom

Go study up on those logs, Rick.  They might be Teak, or purple heart, or ebony, acacia, or ..... yeah, hold your breath.  It would be nice if they were good oak or cherry and they just wanted someone to take them away, eh? 8)

Jeff

QuoteI guess what I'm getting at is there a formula to look at a log and know what kinda cash you will be getting from it after you paid $90.00 for it.

If you know what your lumber is going to sell for and your production costs are you can estimate it I suppose. 500 foot a cord, 35 cents per board foot roughly.

biziedizie

So Jeff if a guy was to buy a log at $90.00 when all is said and done there should be a profit of about $80.00 to $90.00?
  Am I way off base?
  See in the construction trade when I estimate I just take the price of the material times that by 3, add %25 and that's my price.
  Is there an easy way like that when it comes to logs or is it like I'm finding, every deal is different.

Steve

Jeff

Way off base. You didn't include production costs. Electricity, insurance, labor, equipment costs, taxes, maintenance, etc...

A 90 dollar log would probably be veneer and we would be selling that without sawing it.

Every deal is different. Logs dont grow square and defect free.

Ron Wenrich

According to Rick, that whack of logs is mainly oak.  My guestimate is that there is about 50 Mbf of logs in there.  That would be about 15 trailer loads.  Current rate for that stock in my area is about $600/Mbf tree run w/o veneer or roughly $30,000.

A lot of that could change depending on quality.  If that was all red oak veneer, then the value would be about $75,000.  If it was cherry veneer, then you might be looking at $200,000-250,000.

Return on the lumber would depend on yield.  That is why each mill should know the grade yield of each grade of log.  In addition, you should know how long it takes to break down each log, and how much it costs to operate per minute.  Most mills should know this, and many don't.

From there you get your formula of profit = lumber value - log value - mfg costs.  Log values aren't going to vary that much in a given area.  Profit boils down to how much lumber value you can get out and how well you can keep your sawing costs under control.  

Not all logs will give a profit.  Some are produced at a loss.  The trick is to minimize them.

There was a cherry timber sale where the stumpage price was $3.25/bf.  Every sawlog that was produced was cut at a loss, since the lumber value was lower than the stumpage price.  The value was made up on the veneer end.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Thank You Sponsors!