iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I found a whatsit?

Started by Sprucegum, April 25, 2011, 08:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sprucegum

I guess its some kind of trap or bait thing? The last picture is inside the box, looks like a loop to hang bait?

SwampDonkey

Was wondering if someone was using it to trap marten with a conibear trap at the base. It's sitting on an inclined spruce snag. The woods looks like a marten area with the softwood leaners and blow downs. Looks like a wildlife trail by it for bigger critters.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WildDog

A real longshot here, could it be some sort of fabricated hive for native bees.
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

Sprucegum

The native bees around here are not worth catching; mostly just hornets and wasps.

I was wondering about martens, I haven't seen one but that doesn't mean they aren't here. There was no sign of a conibear trap though and no obvious sign of a struggle. You'd think if the trapper took his trap he would take the bait box too  ???

SwampDonkey

Nope, I've seen bate boxes left year after year, he'll be back again to set a trap next season if he hasn't moved on. He took his trap off it, worth more than a piece of plywood. ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

clww

We had box traps set up back in the early 80s to trap the Gypsy Moths that were destroying pine lots. Could be something similar.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Weekend_Sawyer

Don't leave us hanging swamp, what's it baitn for ?
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

SwampDonkey

The marten has to go after the bate up in the box, but trips the lethal trap on the way. Becomes part of a new fur coat. ;D

Often times I have seen just an old can on it's side, or a rectangular box built on the ground with bows over it. Conibare at the entry, bait in the back. But martens are known to use blowdown and wind throw to hunt squirrel on in winter. I don't know of a spruce woods not full of cone picking red squirrels. But a ground one would be more for a fisher or fox.

Of course, maybe this is used for something different. But a lot of unknowns to me about the situation. If I seen it here in the woods, I would assume it's for fur trap'n. ;)

Chuck White

Check the regulations first!

Here in NY, it used to be against the law to set a conibare trap on dry land, it has to be in water!

That is, of course, unless things have changed over the years!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

SwampDonkey

They've been used here on dry land, and one of my grandfather's hunting dogs was killed in a  neighbor's trap. And the dog wasn't running loose alone in the woods he was hunting grouse.

thecfarm

May not be any martens in her area. None or not many in my area. Now head about 4 hours North and you will find some.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

papow22

A trapper that has taken true interest in his work would tell you that it is a marten set.I hope this is no offence to anyone.
                                                   Hey! sprucegum a ol' friend of mine looks alot like you sitting on the D-4 cat again :D,I told that I seen his Twin on the net and He asked what was your name ,But I didn't spot it.your twin live here in Slave Lake Alberta Canada.Just a little chit - chat  over java and smorge @ the truck stop.
                                                                             Good-day
Lives to do sawdust,run a trapline,hunt big game,live life to it's most.Got 4 mills a circle mill,(2 band sawmills) Norwood's 2000, Trim Saw,Beam Machine (chainsaw mill).

chain

I've set very similar box traps but used them to hide the bait having a 12' plank angled up from ground to bottom of box or bucket; 280 or 330 coni was placed about 3/4 ways with nail holders. Would force the critter through the trap, but bobcat too smart he jumped the coni ate the venison or beaver meat.

One morning I came down to check and found two 'possums caught dead laying side by side as appeared they had a race up the board neck and neck to the bait and..BAM..conis are deadly. Trap not legal now in Mo.

Thank You Sponsors!