iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need advice on cedar "roof"

Started by kelLOGg, March 20, 2019, 09:01:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kelLOGg

I have built a little library for neighborhood kids to exchange books and am at the point of covering the roof to waterproof it. I had intended to use shingles but that will certainly change the look of it so I am asking for advice on how I could make cedar work for this purpose. The roof is now cedar boards 2" wide, 3/4" thick and 28" long and screwed close together but there is still visible gaps between them which aren't apparent in the pic. I have more thin (~0.5" thick) cedar which could be used on top as shingles if that is advisable. What to do: bite the bullet and go as planned with shingles or get creative?

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

doc henderson

could do thick epoxy but it will yellow and crack off eventually.  How about a sheet of thin copper sheeting on top, from a hobby/craft shop.  can get coated to keep bright or not and get green oxidized eventually.  Nice wood work and giving to the community.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

GeorgeFindlay

Look at using a marine grade epoxy.

For an example, Google, 'West System'

From personal experience, this is a great product

Hope this helps
"Storms Never Last"

alan gage

Marine epoxy will succumb to UV radiation from the sun. All of it needs some protection from the sun. Spar urethane is what's typically used on cedar strip canoes to offer some UV protection for the epoxy. It lasts a long time but those boats aren't left out in the sun and elements all day and the spar urethane only offers moderate protection for the epoxy. In this application it seems like it would be fairly short-lived before the finish started to break down.

The best UV protection for epoxy is a solid paint.

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

btulloh

I vote for the copper sheet idea.  
HM126

GeorgeFindlay

As is, I've got two cedar strip canoes I made in 1988 and 1989, both covered with both the West System and spar varnish, which are still in great shape....no breakdown!

That's a lot of rough exposure!
"Storms Never Last"

doc henderson

cedar strip canoes are great, but I have seen people sanding and reapplying finish, how long do you expect this to last 24/7 outside.  I assume you keep your boats inside when not in use.  also I believe that fiberglass is also laid over the wood and this would help stabilize the gaps in the wood.  I think this would work, but may require re-application every so often to look new again.   :P
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

kelLOGg

Actually, shingles are looking like the most practical option. If it starts leaking when I'm in my 80s I may not want to be the go-to guy for maintenance so a covering requiring only minimal skill may be best. Your suggestions would yield a much better looking product (which is what I asked for) but I have to think about future maintenance in a neighborhood where I don't live (this is a gift for a friend). I will talk it over with my friend.
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

doc henderson

hobby lobby sells pre-made craft shingles (not kraft singles lol)and I think they are cedar, do not forget your 40% off coupon.  You could spray spar urethane over them to hold the color.  good luck.

kelLOGg

I'll look into that. If it doesn't work I can have them with wine ;D

curved-wood

Nice looking construction, books are going to be happy. The problem with cedar shingles is that you have a part of the roof that is flat. The shingles need to have a good slope to be effective. You could put a membrane underneath. So may be the bottom with the good slope could be cedar and the flat top in another materiel. 
Well, if you want ''to get creative '' here is what I've done with a wood shed (not a very good photo ). The bottom is cedar clapboard and the top is  sheet metal left-overs, painted, tied with red electric wire, silicone between the sheets, screwed with metal roofing screws with a rubber washer.  Just playing around just to make me smile.
I have 2 other more ''serious '' building with a round ridge...not easy for a nice solution. It end up with sheet metal in roll cut to the right length. I dont know if it could be helpfull , but when I am designing something, I try to repeat some elements. In your case the only curve is in the ridge, so I will try to put some curves somewhere else for exemple rounding the 4 bottom corners, or if you put shingles do some wavy line with it; but that is a very personal point of view.

Magicman

I love the way you changed the flow and peaked the roof top up and added the gable.  8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

kelLOGg

The family to whom I am giving the library gave me leftover shingles to match a studio in their back yard, so the final product is below with glass and magnetic locks installed.

CaseyJ

looks nice,  if you wanted to stick with wood roof,  google "steaming red cedar shingles"  after you apply heat and time and pressure they will bend and form.  research it.  it is very attractive.

Thank You Sponsors!