iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lt 35 hesitates on auto feed?

Started by Rob in NC, December 26, 2016, 07:08:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob in NC

When I run the mill in forward I've got a few places that hesitate pretty significantly and seem to be getting worse. I also noticed a red light on today when I was sawing late it was behind the control panel and under the up/down motor. Might be completely unrelated but thought I would mention it.

Any ideas on what's causing the hesitation in the drive gear?
2012 Lt 35 manual

Magicman

I am not hands-on familiar with the LT35 but it could be something as simple as a splinter jamming a cam follower.  Mechanical it could be a cam follower or a power feed sprocket bearing.  Electrical it could be the speed control potentiometer (or worse).  Whatever it is, you need daylight to isolate the problem.  (I know nothing about the red light.)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

MartyParsons

Hello,
   Red Light is from the Encoder for the up down sensor. It should blink when the up down motor is moving.
I would check the forward feed belt tension and the aluminum pulley. At times the pulley set screw comes loose and the shaft would go in toward the frame.
If you have a early LT35 they had a direct drive power feed. They had some issues with wiring and motor. The water would travel in the wires and damage the motor.

What year or revision LT35 do you have? They new LT35 have the same assembly as a LT40 Standard mill.

Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

reswire

I had a similar problem with my LT 40.  The aluminum pulley had moved inward, and was binding the chain.  It started near the "head" of the mill, once moving, it pulled fine.  To fix the problem was very simple, it just needs to maintain correct spacing from the frame.
Norwood LM 30, JD 5205, some Stihl saws, 15 goats, 10 chickens, 1 Chessie and a 2 Weiner dogs...

WV Sawmiller

I'm in agreement with Marty. I had to replace the feed belt on mine at around 325 hours. Now a feed belt is a standard repair item I carry with me. Quick and easy to replace if need to.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

landscraper

I had forward-only drive problems on my lt35 - intermittent stumbling and stalling that slowly got worse - it ended up being the circuit board at the top left behind the controls.  There's a combination of LED lights on it that will self-diagnose whether the board is functioning ok or not, I can't remember off the top of my head but the folks at WM explained it all to me.  So if all the mechanical problems are eliminated check that board.
Firewood is energy independence on a personal scale.

Mt406

Mine just started same type of problem It also makes a lot of chain noise at closer inspection looks like the drive sprocket is running off center.
That's as far as I got into trouble shooting. Winter has come with vengeance to SW Montana. Over the last month we have had 16 in snow and 45 mph wind gusts now the drifts have drifts and as cold as -23 with out wind chill.
I will plow again today see how long it stay open. is been drifting back over night.
I will see what it takes to get the drive sprocket back to center.
I have a LT 35  with 80 hrs

Scott

YellowHammer

Quote from: Magicman on December 26, 2016, 07:38:58 PM
I am not hands-on familiar with the LT35 but it could be something as simple as a splinter jamming a cam follower.  Mechanical it could be a cam follower or a power feed sprocket bearing.  Electrical it could be the speed control potentiometer (or worse).  Whatever it is, you need daylight to isolate the problem.  (I know nothing about the red light.)

Since it's hesitating on certain spots, I would hand push the head down the rails, from one end to another and see where there is a drag.  Then start looking what's causing it such as bark chips, sawdust, chain, sprockets, bearings, etc.  if you take the feed belt off, this will be easier.  Then put the belt back on and try it again trying to isolate the problem. 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Upper

I have had the off center sprocket deal twice.Put some lock tight on the set screw...
Stihl 661
Alaskan 36 CSM
36" guillotine splitter powered by a GMC V6
I like to build stuff
LT35HD Wood-Mizer

Rob in NC

Quote from: MartyParsons on December 26, 2016, 07:57:39 PM
Hello,
   Red Light is from the Encoder for the up down sensor. It should blink when the up down motor is moving.
I would check the forward feed belt tension and the aluminum pulley. At times the pulley set screw comes loose and the shaft would go in toward the frame.
If you have a early LT35 they had a direct drive power feed. They had some issues with wiring and motor. The water would travel in the wires and damage the motor.

What year or revision LT35 do you have? They new LT35 have the same assembly as a LT40 Standard mill.

Marty

I believe it is a 2011 model off the top of my head but it did have a recall of some kind that was done. I checked that before I purchased from the guy that had it before me. 104 hours

I should have some time to investigate this weekend. I will start simple and let you know what I find. Thanks for the suggestions
2012 Lt 35 manual

Mt406

Found my noise it was saw dust frozen to lower round stock on frame and sprocket running off center is saw dust frozen in chain.
took some steel wool and cleaned lower round stock and reoiled sounds good with no hesitation.
Had a chance to do some sawing on Tur. my first Oak and frozen broke out a new 4 it cut good. Saw dust was fine and froze to every thing.
I have new respect for you boys cutting hard woods every day ITS Heavy.
Thanks for all the good information frond on this forum.

Scott

Magicman

Quote from: Mt406 on December 31, 2016, 10:25:23 AM
Found my noise it was saw dust frozen to lower round stock on frame and sprocket running off center is saw dust frozen in chain. 
I hate it when that happens to me.   :o   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

I'm not really experienced with the LT-35, but if it has the spring loaded rail ground contact like the LT-40, that could be the culprit!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

Chuck, that contact only affects our hydraulics. 

Chuck White

::) ::)  Duh   ::) ::)

What do they call it, a "brain sneeze"!   ;D
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

:)  I chuckled too, but I also have to remind myself at times.  Sometimes what it is not is just as important as what it is.   ;D

Thank You Sponsors!