iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

QUESTION?

Started by tmarch, February 21, 2014, 11:12:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tmarch

This is probably easy to explain for some, but why do most manual mills have the sawdust exhaust on the same side as the operator walks?  Looks like it would be easier to see and breath if it was on the other side of the track.
THANKS
Retired to the ranch, saw, and sell solar pumps.

Weekend_Sawyer

My Norwood exhausts away from the operator.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

GAB

tmarch:
Most mills are designed so that the sawdust exhaust is on the opposite side of the log loader, or log loading side.  Having to shovel sawdust after every or every other log is no fun when the sawdust falls on the next log to be sawed.  Baker bought out a company whose mill sawdust exhaust was onto the next log if it was on the log loader.  I took one look at the design and said this mill is not for me.  I don't have a problem cleaning up, but once a day is often enough.  Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

dboyt

Though it is possible to load logs from either side of my Norwood, I prefer to load from the operator's side, and the sawdust blows away from the log deck (or loading ramps) and the sawyer.  Shoveling sawdust is a once-a-day task, if I spend all day sawing.  I suppose this is less of a problem for mills with power feed.  No good answer as to any advantage of putting the sawdust exhaust on the sawyer's side.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

thecfarm

I have to walk on my sawdust. My mill don't move,so it's easy to clean up the sawdust. No logs or log bed to shovel around. I like it that way.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Chuck White

The most direct answer I can come up with is because, if it went to the other side you would have to roll your logs through it, or over it!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

petefrom bearswamp

Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

kelLOGg

My MP32 exhausts opposite the side for loading and walking.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Dave Shepard

Sawdust exhaust location is a product of the decision of whether or not you want to saw towards your backstops or the clamp. It is easier to have the operator walk down the side of the mill that does not have loading arms or ramps. I fold up the hose on my LT40 so the dust blows far enough away from the mill that I don't have to walk in it when I have to approach from that side of the mill.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

bandmiller2

Jeeze, I thought all band rigs blew the dust out the back away from the operator, mine does, I load logs on my side and dust out the back. If you need to work close to the mill for safety reasons the dust should go out the side away from the operator in case of a broken band following the sawdust out. No one should be allowed next to the dust chute. Suppose if you have the command control station it really doesn't matter. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Dave Shepard

On the WoodMizer mills, even though the chute is on the operators side, it is ahead of you by a couple of feet. I agree, nobody should be in line with the chute.

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

drobertson

I am thinking, this is why many have rigged up a  bucket that hangs at the dust exit, then they dump the bucket when full?  I have walked in a pile of it, and kind of like it, better than a concrete floor for sure,    david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

hackberry jake

One big variable in this equation is bark cutting. Bands last a lot longer if they enter clean wood and come out of the bark side. Ez boardwalk mills sawdust comes out the operator side. The only time the band has to enter bark is on the first cut... or really big logs...
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Thank You Sponsors!