iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wanna see some Mongomery Ward mail order mill pics

Started by Buzz-sawyer, September 25, 2003, 03:31:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzz-sawyer

Growing up I LOVED reading montgomery ward... sears etc cataloges...
it opened up a whole worlg of possibilities to me...dreaming of putting together enough pop bottle money to order that costly .22 rifle ($25) for a good one....they had it all trombones to tractors!!!
Here  are a few vintage sawnmill pics....

Heres another

and this one

check this out

like this ?

lokky here!

got one of these?

last one ....

Well thats all for now ...what do you remember bout the catalogue...bet bibby gotta story or two!
Don

HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Ohio_Bill

Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

AtLast

REALLY COOL!!!...I want 1...funny thing is those that bought that mill probably still have it...and runnin ta boot

DanG

Way cool pics, Buzz. I used to love the catalogs, too...still do. :)  That saw looks a lot like one of the early Belsaw rigs. I have the remnants of one in my shed. It belonged to my Granddaddy, but he never used it. He never had the whole thing, and his health prevented him from restoring it. It lay in his barnyard till it rusted beyond repair. :'(
Thanks for posting this. :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

chet

Buzz-sawyer, What was the year of the catalog that the mill was in, and what was its listed price?
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

MrMoo

Hey thanks for the pics it brings back memories.

I remember looking at the Wards catalogue and yup those .22 rifles was one of the things I looked at.
I also used to look at the Go-Kart they had right up until my uncle bought one for me! Still have it too. I haven't run it in years but I bet with a little work I could get it started. Hmmm maybe that should be this weekend's project... :)

Buzz-sawyer

DANG....It is amazing how many of those belsaws people bought over the years and NEVER used....a lot....and I always want to buy them when I find em!
But holding out for a mobile dimension for my second Working saw....

chet .... I forgot bout the cost and year ( I dont have original cat.)  think it was 1940ish and for the saw rig bout $120...

mrmoo .... I am 38 years old and still have stuff around the place like mini bikes...I tell myself well the kids could use it...ha!
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Don P

That could be my 1994 Timberking M-14. They're nice little farm mills. Thirty foot steel track (14' capacity), 10' carriage, mine has 3 dogs, 46 inch blade. It looks the same though. Can you help me understand the shingle jig?

Buzz-sawyer

Not sure I can tell much bout the shingle mill...could email larger pic to you.....
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

whitepe

Neat Pictures Buzz-Sawyer,
It's amazing what you could buy mail order back then.   8)

blue by day, orange by night and green in between

Don P

Thanks for sending the larger print too...guess I still drool over the old Monkey Wards catalog  :D.
I was trying to read the old sears pages stuck to the back of some trim I removed today.

junkyard

Buz
Got one of those mills setting out back if I can find all the parts. Bought it when I was 20 it was used then andwood was rotten 65 now. Head blocks 4 feet apart 8 foot cariage 56 inch swage set saw power feed . Easy runner have used farmal A on small logs. Mc corrmick 10-20 never even knew it was there. Also got the edger in the deal 25 bucks.
                  Junkyard
If it's free, It's for me. If for pay, leave it lay.

Buzz-sawyer

HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Lem

Seldom saw Monkey Wards catalogs,but Sears ,right up till the end,[1993?],was a valuable reference w/ it's weights and dimensions etc. Have parts of an old sliding bed mill laying up in the woods..blade 36".Best guess is that it dates back to original "owner" of property ,1790 - 1940,thus at least 65 years old .His grandson built house in 1945 and there was no "local milled" lumber used in it.All the bearings are poured babbet,'bout the only usefull thing left.
  So that begs the question: With the quantity of mills being manufactured nowadays,how many will be rusted hulks 65 years from now  :'( ??
  Oldest operating saw mill that I know of locally is a pre 1941 for sure and possibly older,w/ 30" blade...have to ask Fred,owner, the details.
 Straying abit here subject-wise so will pose my next question in another thread.

Buzz-sawyer

Most of the newer mills I have seen , are built heavier than the old circle mills.....commercial mills...that is ...My mill is made up of OLD parts and hings like a hydraulic motor of an old railroad CAR (ya know the little one man kind) which runs the cable for the carriage

HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Buzz-sawyer

HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Dangerous_Dan

The farm I worked on in college had this mill. I don't know what it is maybe you guys could ID it.
It's powered by an old flathead truck engine running on natural gas from a well on the property.

First you make it work, then you trick it out!

Daren

I lived in a 2 story Montgomery Wards house, It was fixed up pretty nice. As soon as I get to the wash where it lays, I'll post a pic of sawmill with a Ford Model (A or T, I can't remember) engine, I'm sure the wood frame is long gone. The guy who told me about it said the blade is there and I can have it. If I can drag it out,I am going to paint my business sign on it.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Hugh Darty

My first sawmill was a Foley Bellsaw. Looked almost identical to the one in the pictures. Paid around $2000 new for it in the seventies. Powered it with a 327 chevy car engine with a 55 gal drum of water for cooling. Really brings back some old memories.
Hugh

arj

Here`s a picture of my son & his kids on wards tractor, I hope
           ar
j

Corley5

Nice tractor 8) 8) 8)  There aren't many of them around.  I wish I had a natural gas well to run things around here :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Tom

Corley5

enough beans to run an internal combustion engine would equal divorce ;) :D ;D :) :) :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Thank You Sponsors!