iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Author Topic: LT35HD alignment issue  (Read 3457 times)

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
Re: LT35HD alignment issue
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2018, 05:59:21 PM »
   BTW - if the main rail is the problem it may still be covered under under the original WM warranty. I think the warranty is 2 years hitch to taillight. 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline Kbeitz

• Senior Member x2
  • Never enough time...
    • Share Post
    • My Hobbies
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2018, 05:59:32 PM »
I was a mill right for a few years. We used lasers to set everything up. 
You could shoot a line and measure from the rail up to the dot off every bunk.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Offline MartyParsons

• Senior Member x2
  • Wood-Mizer Service and sales PA, VA, MD, WV others
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2018, 06:57:54 PM »
I would ditch the string, straightedge, and levels from the procedure.  These set up conflicting standards and opportunity for inappropriate adjustments. 
If you measured from the blade to the bed rails correctly and all the measurements were the same then it is stress in the wood.  Unless you found a bed rail with a loose nut or bolts the beds would be correct from the factory. 

Marty

A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty. -Winston Churchill

Offline Tin Horse

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2018, 11:08:35 PM »
My mill isn't a WM but it took me a long time to realize the importance of set up stability. I didn't think it could twist or sag as heavily as it's built. But it will. Just set up and milled the past two days. Now I put lots of support under the feet then level with a sight level. After cutting for awhile I'll re-check and adjust if needed. Mines a 4 post and I can tell on the up and down if things are out.
Bell 1000 Wood Processor. Enercraft 30HTL, Case 580SL. Kioti 7320.

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
  • Always taking steps to save steps
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2018, 11:39:11 PM »
I use a 15 foot piece of extruded aluminum stock or steel square tubing.    It should to be long enough to span most all of the the bed rails at once, including and especially the pivoting ones.  I will lay it down on the bed occasioanlly, and it will let me know when I have bent bed rails with big logs, which has happened a couple times or my mill feet have been pounded into the dirt floor, and may require a little shimming.  

Using a piece of wood to determine flatness of the bed rails won't work too well.  When in doubt, put the stick of metal on it. 
HobbyHardwoodAlabama.com

Offline Mt406

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2018, 01:27:01 AM »
I have a LT35 also and have a similar problem a slight high spot almost center line of mill.
And yes the mill is set up correctly.
I work on a concrete slab so I have wood blocks under the ends if one works out I know instantly I will have a big hump in the middle.
I Have a 12 ft strait edge when I lay it down round rod it will rock from side to side.
I cut mainly 1x and 2x and haven't had any complaint's it just drives me nuts.
Hoping you find a answer and maybe I can learn something to.

Scott  

Offline John S

• Share Post
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2018, 08:05:19 AM »
Like WV said, the mill is under warranty, bring it in and have the experts check it out.  Why go through all the aggravation and guess work?
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

Offline Deere80

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2018, 08:47:35 AM »
Like WV said, the mill is under warranty, bring it in and have the experts check it out.  Why go through all the aggravation and guess work?
I live 10 hours away from the dealer so I do not want to drive back if all possible.
Wood-Mizer LT35HD

Offline Deere80

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2018, 08:58:35 AM »
Last night I took a 6ft level because that is the longest I have and started running it down the rod the mill rides on to see if I have any dips or bends in it and when I got above the axle where I always get the bad cut in, the rod is bent down and out.  I took some pictures so you can see.  Then I took the pressure off the jacks on the rear and it did not change it a bit.  The level shows the same thing when I put it on the big tubing of the frame where the rod is welded to, it is bent down.  I am only using the level for a long straight edge not looking at the bubble.  So do I call the dealer and see what he has to say or is it something else.  You can see with the naked eye when you look down the rod that it has a bow outward, you can not see it dip down though.

Wood-Mizer LT35HD

Offline SawyerTed

• Summey Lumber Services, LLC
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2018, 09:07:40 AM »
Yes your next call should be to the dealer.  Give them an opportunity to respond with a solution.  
Woodmizer LT35HD25, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Granberg Alaskan Chainsaw Mill, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Online Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2018, 09:45:15 AM »
Absolutely call the dealer and supply him with the pictures.  It's disheartening but at least you now know what the problem is.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
  • Always taking steps to save steps
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2018, 10:51:24 AM »
Call em, let us know what they say. 
HobbyHardwoodAlabama.com

Offline Deere80

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2018, 11:27:55 AM »
Talked to the dealer he thinks it is a set up issue but referred me to headquarters tech support so will be contacting them.
Wood-Mizer LT35HD

Offline terrifictimbersllc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Terrific Timbers LLC
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2018, 11:43:29 AM »
Talked to the dealer he thinks it is a set up issue but referred me to headquarters tech support so will be contacting them.
Probably ought to get a convincing pic of the place the rail dips down for your interaction with WM.  2 of your pics show the end or most of the level up in the air and from the photo I cant see why that is.  If there is a dip, can you not span the dip with the 6' straightedge to show it?
Sideways bend won't make a difference for what you have mentioned so far.
Just throwing out 2 other things hoping to help.  In a proper setup  the mill needs to be jacked up enough so that at least some if not most or all of the weight is taken off of the axle spring.  If you see the feed motor rubbing on the tire as it goes past in a 1" cut, it isn't jacked high enough.   Also I think you mentioned earlier that your mill cuts perfect lumber except for the last board.  If you had a dip in the rail that matters, then you should have a dip in the lumber or cant at that place.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT   2001 WM LT40SHDD (42HP Kubota, Accuset2, FAO's, Lubemizer, debarker, hydraulics everywhere), Peterson WPF 10-30 with chain slabber. Logrite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.

Offline Deere80

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2018, 12:23:31 PM »
Probably ought to get a convincing pic of the place the rail dips down for your interaction with WM.  2 of your pics show the end or most of the level up in the air and from the photo I cant see why that is.  If there is a dip, can you not span the dip with the 6' straightedge to show it?
Sideways bend won't make a difference for what you have mentioned so far.
Just throwing out 2 other things hoping to help.  In a proper setup  the mill needs to be jacked up enough so that at least some if not most or all of the weight is taken off of the axle spring.  If you see the feed motor rubbing on the tire as it goes past in a 1" cut, it isn't jacked high enough.   Also I think you mentioned earlier that your mill cuts perfect lumber except for the last board.  If you had a dip in the rail that matters, then you should have a dip in the lumber or cant at that place.

The level is being held tight down to the round rod for the first foot of the level, in the 6 foot of the level that is how much it is not straight on the rod if that makes sense.  I will try tonight when I get home from work to put more pressure than I even have on the rear jack to see if that makes any difference.

Yes it is just in the last board, but even tech support could not explain why I have the same measurement from the bottom of the back of the blade to the rails and come up with the same measurement but if I take a log make a cut, roll it 180 degrees so that cut is laying on the rails why is the first and the third rail lower than the second and forth(talking just the solid mounted rails not your swinging ones).  Tech guy is referring this to his supervisor now.  I wish I didn't live so far from the dealer.
Wood-Mizer LT35HD

Offline terrifictimbersllc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Terrific Timbers LLC
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2018, 12:30:18 PM »
Yes that makes sense.  But what you've shown so far in the photos I wouldn't call a dip.  That's what I would expect to be able to jack out by lifting up on the end of the frame with the jacks.  Not saying I think you don't have a problem.  But with my mill I can, with the jacks and the weight of the head, make either a dip or a crown over the length of the main rail which depends on the setup. Mostly during a sawing day, I am correcting once or twice for a falloff at one end or the other. This is over one or the other of the swing rails, not the fixed ones. 

I can't explain your high-low-high-low bunk issue.  If there is an experienced sawyer esp. a WM owner, closer who could drop by maybe he could help spot the issue.  
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT   2001 WM LT40SHDD (42HP Kubota, Accuset2, FAO's, Lubemizer, debarker, hydraulics everywhere), Peterson WPF 10-30 with chain slabber. Logrite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.

Offline Kbeitz

• Senior Member x2
  • Never enough time...
    • Share Post
    • My Hobbies
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2018, 07:35:04 PM »
Even the strongest beams if long enough will bend...

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Offline Southside logger

• Senior Member x2
  • Have a plan to saw every log you meet.
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2018, 08:36:03 PM »
Well - the beam was well secured to the tractor, no question there.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.

Offline Josef

• Full Member x2
  • just horsin' around
    • Share Post
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2018, 09:26:14 PM »
Interesting anomaly, if the top round bar is truly offset sideways as the OP suspects (which while improbable is not technically impossible if the welding jig was disturbed during fabrication) then the sawmill head vertical mast could tilt sideways in that section of the mill. This could allow the blade to rise or fall in relation to the bed in that section. If the OP was aligning the bunks to the blade they would follow the blade horizontal plane and be uneven over the length of the mill. All said Id be interested in what WM finds in this case, I dont have a WM mill but have the utmost respect for the manufacturer and the design. Please keep us updated on your and WMs determination.

I'm told one of the advantages of the monopost configuration is the ability to saw straight lumber even if the mill is not perfectly level, the WM mills I've run were quite stiff and rigid in their beam construction. I'd be surprised if you could twist that beam enough with the leveling feet to cause the offset in the round bar that appears in the OP's pics if the pics truly represent that offset. Interesting.

Joe
In my house I'm the boss, I know this because my wife said so, I only hope she doesn't change her mind!

New to me Timber Harvester that I'm learning to operate, been building a home built mill for a while, should be ready to make sawdust with it someday if I ever quit "modifying" the design.

Offline POSTON WIDEHEAD

• Senior Member x2
  • Getting old but doing it with Friends.
    • Share Post
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2018, 09:32:04 PM »
If the legs are down on hard ground and and the bed is level the only way that beam can be twisted is it had to be hit pretty hard with something to bend it.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Help - woodmizer bed rail alignment issue.

Started by Poweredward on Sawmills and Milling

2 Replies
Last post September 02, 2018, 08:59:44 PM
by terrifictimbersllc
xx
Woodmizer LT35hd

Started by MReinemann on Sawmills and Milling

10 Replies
Last post September 05, 2012, 05:58:24 PM
by MReinemann
xx
LT35HD Best 1 day output