TURBOSAWMILL GIANT SALE ON NOW UNTIL OCTOBER 31st

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Author Topic: Sawmill  (Read 1852 times)

Offline jpatena

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
Sawmill
« on: March 28, 2018, 07:49:37 AM »
Hello freinds ,I am newly retired moving up north and want to buy sawmill. Am torn between norwood M29  woodmills HM 130 SMG 13S!Any suggestions?

Offline SawyerTed

• Summey Lumber Services, LLC
    • Share Post
Re: Sawmill
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2018, 11:18:01 AM »
Welcome to the forum and the saw dust addiction....

Have you been to a dealer, fair/machinery show or have you spent some time using a friend's sawmill?  It is important to spend some time hands-on before buying.  YouTube and manufacturer sites can give much useful info.  Those just don't compare to personal examination/operation of the machines you are looking at.  That way you can compare.  All sawmills are a combination of features and compromises.  Seeing them in person helps you know the combination that works for you.

If you let us know where you are located or where you are relocating to, there is likely someone here who would let you come take a look at their sawmill.
Woodmizer LT35HD25, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Granberg Alaskan Chainsaw Mill, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Offline petefrom bearswamp

• Senior Member x2
  • made 70-11 and still feelin pretty darned good!
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2018, 12:36:43 PM »
You will find as many opinions on here as there are mills.
All have their pluses and minuses.
LT40SHDD51
Kubota 8540 tractor, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 550 Sportsman ATV
1 Husky 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo
241 acres of woodland

Online Chuck White

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawing Mobile since 2005
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2018, 06:41:36 PM »
Welcome to the Forestry Forum, jpatena!
~Chuck~
Retired USAF (1989), Retired School Bus Driver (2012), and now a Mobile Sawyer
1995 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG2425 Kohler - Shingle & LapSider, Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener, 4-foot Logrite cant hook.
Basic mechanical skills are all that's required to maintain the Wood-Mizer.
I LOVE MY SAWMILL

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2018, 07:07:50 PM »
jpatena,welcome to the forum.
Good for you,move up North,get away from them grits!!!
Listen to SawyerTed. A show is a good way to see mills.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline staker

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2018, 08:33:53 PM »
The SMG 13 has a 36 inch max log diameter. I talked to a few people that own them and they really like them.

Offline Skipper11A

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2018, 11:14:35 AM »
Welcome to the best forum on the web.  You're going to learn a lot here.  They may not have grits up north, but they don't have chicken fried steak either so that would be a deal killer for me.

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2018, 05:25:11 PM »
At least you don't have to mix chicken fried steak with something to make it taste good.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline Darrel

• Senior Member x2
  • Never throw an unopened log on the burn pile.
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2018, 06:57:23 PM »
You all are really jumpin to conclusions. The way I got it figured, jpatena is in Los Angels and is planin to move to Oregon and we do have chicken fried steak here but grits are hard to find. 

Anyway jpatena welcome to the Forestry Forum!  The mills you are looking at  know very little about but have never heard anything bad about them with one exception and I think that complaint said more about the person than it did the mill. 
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Offline jpatena

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2018, 09:29:54 AM »
Hello guys thank for the welcome when i said moving up north ,meant am actually from montreal moving in the laurentian,s .in a wk wiil try a smg s13 sawmill .this is for hobby use only .Hopefully will get to see a norwood m29 and woodmills also so i can compare.

Offline GAB

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2018, 01:43:17 PM »
jpatena:
Come on down to the Award-Winning Loggers' Expo which will be held on May 11 & 12, 2018 in Essex Junction, Vermont.
If you go to Home - Northeastern Loggers' Association you can apply for a free ticket or tickets (bring some friends) and there will be some 
sawmill manufacturers and representatives with some toys for you to look at, drool over, pine and ask questions.  There will 
be many millions of $'s worth of equipment to see, some of it being demonstrated.
I do not know if the sawmills you are interested in will be there however.
If you are looking for grits I can't help you.  Last time I needed some I called Mississippi for a shipment which I received and delivered.
Gerald

W-M LT40HDD34 w/6' ext & SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Online shortaction

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2018, 09:43:04 PM »

I was looking at the SMG mills, but then got onto the Pascal Metals mills.  My dealer sells both but seemed like you got a fair bit more for the $ with the Pascal Metals mill.  I ended up buying the Little Blue model and have been quite happy with it.  

Offline fishfighter

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2018, 04:00:58 AM »
Hello guys thank for the welcome when i said moving up north ,meant am actually from montreal moving in the laurentian,s .in a wk wiil try a smg s13 sawmill .this is for hobby use only .Hopefully will get to see a norwood m29 and woodmills also so i can compare.

Welcome aboard.

As far as a hobby mill, they are a lot of manual work. Hope you have some equipment to help you move logs/lumber around. I have a Woodland 126 for over 3 years and I am very happy with it. ;D

Offline mrtwister

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2018, 11:23:37 AM »

I was looking at the SMG mills, but then got onto the Pascal Metals mills.  My dealer sells both but seemed like you got a fair bit more for the $ with the Pascal Metals mill.  I ended up buying the Little Blue model and have been quite happy with it.  
Hi Shortaction....how are things in Gore Bay?....I'm a few miles East of you in St-Charles.....just curious how things are working out with the Pascal mill.....what's your take on the pros and cons?....I realize you may not have had too much time to assess it's full capabilities yet but you may have some insight on the overall performance, quality, cutting/sawing results etc...I may be upgrading soon and have been eyeballing these mills....they seem well put together with solid components but there is not much feedback about them on the Web compared to the other available brands. You mentioned a "dealer" that sells them.....is there a dealership in your area?.....thanks in advance for sharing any info you have!!...take care....Twister.
Norwood ML 26 Mill, Log Arch, Kioti DS4510HS Tractor with Grapple, Chainsaws: Dolmar 510, Husqvarna t435 arborist chainsaw, T-Rex walking beam trailer, CF Moto U-Force 500 UTV.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Portable Sawmill Special Deal - SAVE 10% on your Sawmill!

Started by HSV on Peterson Portable Sawmills

1 Replies
Last post March 10, 2015, 10:34:01 PM
by jamieotter
xx
sawmill advice what is the best sawmill

Started by KY colonel on Sawmills and Milling

21 Replies
Last post February 24, 2017, 01:09:51 PM
by KY colonel
xx
New To Me Sawmill