iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I found this tree today on my property. What do I have?

Started by Kbeitz, April 05, 2018, 09:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kbeitz

I can't believe I never noticed this tree before. what is it? Or what caused this? 
what can I expect from the lumber? I can't wait to see whats inside..

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Ljohnsaw

I had to check to see if you posted this on Sunday (April Fools Day)! ;)

That looks like Elephantius Gigaintius :D
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

DWyatt

I'm not too sure what causes it or what the lumber will look like but I would think it would be beautiful! The type of stuff that I would keep for my own woodworking projects for sure!

One thing I can almost certainly guarantee is that if you don't post pictures of the sawn lumber after posting this teaser, you may be dosowned by the forum! ;)

Southside

Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

newoodguy78

I'm with you on this one southside,beech would be my guess.

WV Sawmiller

A rare Chinese Shar pei tree. Be careful when sawing as they are the natural home for bark fleas. ;D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

newoodguy78

Funny you say that magic the first thing I thought of when I saw the last picture was an old corrugated steel culvert  :D

WLC

Think it needs a facelift, or at least some of that wrinkle cream you see advertised in the teevee :D.  Looks like a beech to me too.
Woodmizer LT28
Branson 4wd tractor
Stihl chainsaws
Elbow grease.

FloridaMike

Mike

Kbeitz

To me it kinda looks like the bark is to heavy and it's sliding down the tree. It's going to be a while before it gets cut. I got a ton of walnut to cut and this tree is deep into my woods and on a steep bank. It's not close to and roads so it's not going to be easy to get out of the woods. But I will keep you all posted. It will get cut.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

47sawdust

Does that park pattern go around the entire tree?Might be caused by serious stress,if growing on a steep side hill.It looks like a beech to me as well.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Weekend_Sawyer

Iv watched too many scary movies.
I expect to see a crack in the bark and worms coming out.
I hope I'm wrong!
It will be interesting to see what it looks like on the mill.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

TKehl

That's a 'washboardicus uprightacus', named after it's primary usage.  I thought it was extinct!
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

nativewolf

kbeitz may be having fun with us but if it is a real tree..before you cut it....why not let it leaf out, find out what it is and see if you can get some seeds/fruit.  Cut 20 trees in circle around it to get light and see if it stump sprouts.  
Liking Walnut

moodnacreek

Looks like a beech that had a vine wrapped around it while it was growing ?

Brad_bb

It could be Holly?  I've seen holly that looks smooth and that color.  Definitely unique that one.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Skip

scully

I would say beach . I think there would be allot of stress in it as well . I would try to 1/4 saw it .
I bleed orange  .

Kbeitz

It's real... No joke. I googled wrinkled bark and found this. Nothing to the extent of what I got but it's out there.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kbeitz

If you look real close at what I have there is stress cracks in the bark...

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

johnnyllama

Can't say for sure, but it look's just like a beech I cut on my property a couple years ago. Got some very pretty curly grain but it isn't the most stable. It dried with a bit of twist but I cut oversized and then ran over jointer before planing.
Turner Bandmill, NH35 tractor, Stihl & Husky misc. saws, Mini-excavator, 24" planer, 8" jointer, tilting shaper, lathe, sliding table saw, widebelt sander, Beautiful hardworking wife, 2 dogs, 2 cats, 23 llamas in training to pull logs!!!

Kbeitz

We got snow today. As soon as possible I will go back and make a vid of the whole tree. I'm not sure if the winkles go all the way around the tree or not. I'm hoping that it's worth a few  SGU's...
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Thank You Sponsors!