iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I found this tree today on my property. What do I have?

Started by Kbeitz, April 05, 2018, 09:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dozer_Man

This kinda looks like what we call a Cucumber tree around here. It is a type of magnolia. If it gets huge leaves on it then that is what it is. Bark looks a little different for Beech at least around my parts anyways.
Brady Crabtree
Sawmill Bottom   '15 WM Lt35HD,  WM Pro Sawyer Network, 90 Chevy C50, 04 ram cummins, Stihl 362, 2008 Bobcat T180

Jeff

If it is a beech, you may have a hard time getting anything stable out of it other than small pieces. I'll bet that wood is going to be volatile as it dries, again, assuming it is Beech. It will definitely be interesting to see how it goes!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Jeff on April 06, 2018, 11:06:32 AMIf it is a beech, you may have a hard time getting anything stable out of it other than small pieces.

If so, you would have a life time supply of bowl blanks assuming good figure!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Kbeitz

I do know that I will be keeping the slabs at least of one side if the tree. I'm hoping it looks the same with the bark removed.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Babylon519

What direction does the wrinkled side face? In my neck of the woods, the southwest side of dormant hardwoods are sometimes afflicted by the freeze-thaw action when warm sun thaws the bark by day and the freezing temps at night cause splitting in the bark. The flecks in your bark might be an indication of that kind of action over the years. Haven't seen wrinkles like that though!  - Jason
Jason
1960 IH B-275 - same vintage as me!
1960 Circle Sawmill 42"
Stihl MS440 & a half-dozen other saws...

Kbeitz

Quote from: Babylon519 on April 06, 2018, 01:44:33 PM
What direction does the wrinkled side face? In my neck of the woods, the southwest side of dormant hardwoods are sometimes afflicted by the freeze-thaw action when warm sun thaws the bark by day and the freezing temps at night cause splitting in the bark. The flecks in your bark might be an indication of that kind of action over the years. Haven't seen wrinkles like that though!  - Jason
I think you nailed it. This was on the southwest side.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

terrifictimbersllc

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

opticsguy

Do you have a mole/gopher problem???      

Personally I would wait for the tree to sprout leaves for identification.  No hurry to cut, just one of a thousand trees for you to choose. Best to think and decide the ultimate use, boards or turning blanks or?   I am only guessing but looks like the those "curls" are only on one side. 
TK 1220 band mill,  1952 Ford F-2, 1925 Dodge touring, too many telescopes.

Kbeitz

Quote from: opticsguy on April 08, 2018, 11:46:53 AM
Do you have a mole/gopher problem???      

Personally I would wait for the tree to sprout leaves for identification.  No hurry to cut, just one of a thousand trees for you to choose. Best to think and decide the ultimate use, boards or turning blanks or?   I am only guessing but looks like the those "curls" are only on one side.
Yep.  South side only. I will wait until later in the year.  Way to busy now for any new projects.  
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Rhodemont

My beech trees have a similar Shar pei on the southwest side due to freeze/thaw.  Not as distorted as the one Kbeitz found but similar.
Woodmizer LT35HD    JD4720 with Norse350 winch
Stihl 362, 039, Echo CS-2511T and now a CS-361P

forgeblast

Its beech with beech bark disease.  My beech have it, I need to cut a bunch out to try to save the ones with out.  The bark will crack and have a waxy white look on it, once the secondary infection takes a hold the bark will turn black.  
The worse thing is that every shoot that comes up will be infected.  We were told to cut and round up the stump. 

Ljohnsaw

K,
Time to make lemonade out of lemons...  Keep an eye on it just in case it is the beech bark disease and cut it before it starts to rot.  Assuming you get some nice figure out of it, promote a new market for "Shar Pei Beech" ;)  Looks to be more rare then Denim Pine! :D
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Kbeitz

Quote from: ljohnsaw on April 10, 2018, 07:16:11 PM
K,
Time to make lemonade out of lemons...  Keep an eye on it just in case it is the beech bark disease and cut it before it starts to rot.  Assuming you get some nice figure out of it, promote a new market for "Shar Pei Beech" ;)  Looks to be more rare then Denim Pine! :D
I don't think I have a problem... I cant find another tree like it in all my woods. It must be the last one. 
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kbeitz

When I google beech bark disease all the pictures look like this... Not what I have...
It also says It can be observed on the trunk and limbs of the tree as woolly. I don't see that...

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

thecfarm

That's more like what I have. In fact,I was driving along on my tractor,I have a roof over me,and I looked at a smooth bark tree. I had no idea what kind of tree it was until I looked up over the edge of the roof to see the beech leaves. ::)  :o  Only one on my land,I think.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

bodagocreek2

I have a beech that looks pretty much like that one.

forgeblast

That picture with the cracks is the secondary infection, when the first one happens the white kind of waxy look is what looks like is in your one picture.  I have the waxy type and the secondary cracked bark, along with trees with no bark issues.  
Beech bark disease - Wikipedia 
http://msue.anr.msu.edu/uploads/files/e2746.pdf management

Kbeitz

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Jeff

Beech Bark disease is pretty wide spread up here, but I have never witnessed it to manifest itself to look like kbeitz's tree. My opinion would be that is not what it is simply because of never seeing a diseased tree that looked like it.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

mike_belben

Whatever it is someone fed it too many  twizzlers.
Praise The Lord

47sawdust

I only feed twizzlers to my horse and my grandsons.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Kbeitz

I will keep everyone updated... It might be awhile because I got projects stacked up to the door.
I did not need it but I just bought a International 350 with a loader and new tires for $300.00 I need to get it home and check out what wrong with the steering. The person I got it from said the steering box broke. It's a very nice looking tractor. Looks like a very busy year for me. So when I catch up I will saw this tree and see what we have.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

moodnacreek

My first fork lift was a IH 350 U turned around. I got it free because the steering box broke and they lost half the parts. Had to put a manual box on it as I could not find a power one. Years after I found a bad power box and made one good one with what I had. The other problem was starters, I broke several while I had this tractor. Other than that it was a tough, powerful, even fast machine.   On the beech I would wait until fall to cut it down [ as with any tree for lumber when you have a choice.

YoungStump

Quote from: Kbeitz on April 12, 2018, 07:43:35 AM
So will the wood under the bark have waves or not?
Yes it will, it looks like beech to me I've sawed some that looked like that and it had a very nice curly grain but it all went into pallets.
Echo Enterprises 45HD2 production series band mill, Cook's Edger, sawing mostly pallet cants, rr ties, and grade lumber.

Thank You Sponsors!