iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Standard 7 degree vs Turbo 7 or stick with 10?

Started by Simon3380, April 08, 2018, 02:08:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon3380

First question, if you had to choose between a standard 7 and a Turbo 7 which would you pick? I currently use 10's but when I bought the mill it came with maybe ten standard 7 blades that where dull that I have stashed away. I have my own CBN sharpener and want to minimize the CBN wheels I have to buy. So is there much difference between the two and if I do choose the turbo, can I sharpen the standard 7s I currently have into turbo 7s or into 10s?  I have a 51 hp diesel so power shouldn't be an issue and I saw about as much hardwood as softwood. Production rate isn't a huge issue for me as I saw by the hour and quality is my number one concern. Also, sawing is my 'side' job so maybe I should just stick with 10s. I have a couple grade sawing jobs coming up and I'm planning on getting a box a new blades and just debating what to get as my resharpened/set blades are hit an miss for finish as I haven't mastered that yet. I guess I started thinking about this because the turbo 7s are 10% off right now and when I called Woodmizer for some parts the guy I talked with told me if he had my mill and only had to one blade to choose he would get the turbo 7. Just wondering was others think???
Garbage in, garbage out

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Different horse powers, different blade degrees, different species and different sawing speeds.
Its just me and my 35 hp engine. I use mainly Turbo 7's and 4 degrees sawing Cedar.
This is what works for me.
I have never let price or a sale price dictate what to buy.
I buy the blade that matches my hp and sawing speed depending on species....I've experimented with most of them.

Please don't let your sawing as a "side job" determine what blade works for you best.  :)
In my business and after finding what works best for me.....the blade is my least of worries.
I also let Woodmizer sharpen my blades.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

terrifictimbersllc

If you want to reduce the number of wheels you buy then don't use one wheel to sharpen blades of a different profile.  That will wear your wheel out much sooner.   Instead, send blades in to re-sharp if you don't have that type of wheel. 

I currently have a few 9s and 10s, more 4s and 7s, and am getting my first turbo 7s today along with some more 4s.  I expect to love the turbo 7s from what I have seen and heard and be using up my 9s and 10s and regular 7s.  I'll get a turbo 7 wheel in a week or two.  I have the 4 other wheels which still are good. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

4x4American

Turbo 7's or Kasco 7/40's.  10's are for old people lol.  You have the ponies so send it!
Boy, back in my day..

Magicman

My 7° blades are long gone and I am letting attrition eliminate my 10° blades.  When they are gone I will only have 7° Turbos and 4° blades.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

petefrom bearswamp

I still have about 10 7degree 35s, the rest 7 turbo
I prefer the turbo.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Deere80

Does it take more horsepower to run the 7 turbo's vs say a 4 degree?  What is the difference from a 7 degree and a 7 degree Turbo? 
Wood-Mizer LT40WIDE 38HP

DR_Buck

Am I the only person still running 9º blades?   ;D     When I started milling back in 2004 I got a few boxes of 10º bands.    Later I picked up a box of 9º and a box of 4º to try.   I liked the 9º the most and don't have much call for the 4º so I started buying only 9º bands.   Over time my 10º were resharpened to 9º.   Now I have about  dozen 10º left and MANY 9º bands.  All of them are .045 - 1 1/4" bands.

Last summer I had Wood-Mizer upgrade my mill to the new fuel injected Kohler 38 HP.   With the additional HP available I could probably use something more aggressive but I haven't been able to decide if, or what I should change to.   I mill lots of mixed species but mainly oak and poplar with a spattering of pine.   If I was to make a switch it would be over time as I replace worn out bands.

Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Magicman

Deere80, when the Turbos were first offered I remember reading that they were recommended for higher hp engines.  The gullets are huge compared with "standard" blades so they are dragging out a larger amount of sawdust.  I know that they load my engine when I am pushing them.

I have read where some sawyers with smaller engines are having good success with them.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Deere80

MM, what size of engine do you have on your Super 40.  How did you like them?
Wood-Mizer LT40WIDE 38HP

Magicman

My Diesel was advertised as 38hp.  I am well pleased with the Turbos and am gradually replacing all of my 10° blades with them.

Deere80

Wonder if I have enough ponies to run the Turbo's? I wouldn't mind trying some out if my 25HP Kohler can handle them.  I guess there is only one way to find out and that is to order a box.
Wood-Mizer LT40WIDE 38HP

redneckman

Quote from: Deere80 on April 09, 2018, 04:16:14 PM
Wonder if I have enough ponies to run the Turbo's? I wouldn't mind trying some out if my 25HP Kohler can handle them.  I guess there is only one way to find out and that is to order a box.
If you call WM, and talk really nice to them, they will send you a free T7 blade.  I was running 10's.  I switched to T7s.  Best move I made.  I will be ordering more T7's and some 4's for pine.  
My mill is a 47HP.  From what I see, the T7 can be used at a slower pace, but it will not cut as smooth (leaves some saw marks).  When I increase the speed, the cut is much smoother.  So, if you are ok with the marks, just go slower and your engine will be fine.

jmouton

hey deere80,   we run the turbo 7 s  on our 25 hp kohler  it works pretty good ,not as good as higher hp machines but we like them ,,,,we cut mostly oak 
lt-40 wide ,,bobcat,sterling tandem flatbed log truck,10 ton trailer, stihl 075,041,029,066,and a 2017 f-350,oh and an edger

Hale87

I have an lt40 with a 25hp Kohler and I flat out love the t-7s. Yes I might get a little chatter here and there but not enough to really care about it. The biggest problem I have is trying to work in all my old 9s.
2002 LT40HD sawmill, WM single blade edger, 23hp Kubota tractor, 2011 Kawasaki Mule, 2002 Honda Foreman, 1983 Case 480D backhoe

Southside

My go to is the turbo - and that is on a 35 with the 25hp Kohler.  I do have some 10's left, but as they die off they are replaced with turbos.  I do not have a problem with blade chatter due to the speed.  I tend to keep the speed in check via the sound of the motor, right against the governor, and I get nice, smooth cuts in oak and even hickory.  Sometimes in SYP I have to remember to slow down if it's really knotty or else I will get deflection.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Deere80

Redneckman-I will have to call them and see if they will send me one to try out, thanks for the heads up.

I have a few 10s but most often use the 4 degree bands, just seems to work for me, but would like to see the out come of the T7.
Wood-Mizer LT40WIDE 38HP

redneckman

Quote from: Deere80 on April 10, 2018, 07:59:36 AM
Redneckman-I will have to call them and see if they will send me one to try out, thanks for the heads up.

That is what I did, and they sent me one.  They know that you will love it and turn around and buy a box.  WM has T7's on sale this month with free shipping.  Now would be a good time to stock up.

Deere80

Redneckman you must be a lot smoother talker than me.

Just got off the phone with Woodmizer in Indy and he told me I do not have enough horsepower to run it, so I asked him if he would have one to let me try.  He said he would sell me one blade but they do not give blades out so no go for this cat.
Wood-Mizer LT40WIDE 38HP

Simon3380

Thanks for all the replies... I was really on the fence about the Turbo 7 based on the post that were out there that happened to be a couple years old. Sounds like they are really the way to go. 
Garbage in, garbage out

Tin Horse

I wish they had the same deals in Canada. I'd like to try the T7"s. My price here is $39.60 each. 11/4x.045 x 195". 
Bell 1000 Wood Processor. Enercraft 30HTL, Case 580SL. Kioti 7320.

redneckman

Quote from: Deere80 on April 10, 2018, 11:57:36 AM
Redneckman you must be a lot smoother talker than me.

Just got off the phone with Woodmizer in Indy and he told me I do not have enough horsepower to run it, so I asked him if he would have one to let me try.  He said he would sell me one blade but they do not give blades out so no go for this cat.
Ha Ha!  The person I spoke with was a lady, and I have been told before that I have a "fun" accent.  I layed it on thick.  Sorry it was a no go for you.  At least you tried.  I would buy one if I was you and try it.  I think the HP will be fine.  Just slow down if you bog the engine down too much.  I bet you will love it.  Even when they are a little dull, they still cut better than a fresh 10 degree IMO.  I am getting rid of all my 10's and going with t7's and 4's.

Cappy

Hey folks, I too am kind of new to the forum, always been a follower though. I have a Norwood HD-36, 23hp, and have always used 10 deg bands. I was considering giving these Turbo 7's a shot based off all of your reviews. I cut a lot of oak and walnut and need a tougher band that will last a bit longer than my current ones. Quick question though, does anyone have any experience with the WM Vortex blades? They advertise they leave a lot less saw dust in the cut when finished while providing decent blade life. Figured we're on the subject, I might as well put it out there.

derhntr

I have never tried the turbo's I did switch from 10 degree .42 to 4 degree .45 and never looked back. Saw mostly Red Oak and White Pine. New box of 4's arriving today. Jobs are stacking up just need sawing weather now.
2006 Woodmizer LT40HDG28 with command control (I hate walking in sawdust)
US Army National Guard (RET) SFC

Beavertooth

Deere80   Concerning free blade samples from woodmizer.  It all depends on who you talk to. Call back and talk to a different person and it may be a go for you. 
2007 LT70 Remote Station 62hp cat.

Thank You Sponsors!