iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ireland mill

Started by NYIrelandMiller, April 12, 2018, 06:27:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NYIrelandMiller

Hello all,
First time posting, long time lurker.   We are a small hobby mill here in upstate ny.   Just curious, how do I tell if I have a left or right hand Ireland mill?   I'll figure out how to post a video in a little bit I'm sure.   Going to mill some basswood, ash and butternut the next couple weeks.   

moodnacreek

Facing the teeth pointing down, if the log goes by to the right it's a r/h mill.  I once wanted an Ireland as the first mill I ever looked at was one. It had the hay rake handles to taper a bunk. This mill was in Mt. Vision, n.y.  There sure was a lot of them in the Catskills and beyond. You can get a reprint catalog. They even had a power set option.     On the general board under I finally found one, in my response I show an Ireland made cant hook.

NYIrelandMiller

Thanks, my dad thought because the carriage was operated with your left hand it was obviously a left hand mill.   In seeing some pictures that contradicted that, it made me wonder.   Now I know! We have a right hand mill, thanks

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, NYIrelandMiller!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Ron Wenrich

I ran an Ireland for awhile.  I liked the way those hay rack tapers worked.  
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

moodnacreek

There was a picture in timber line of the original Ordy Price sawmill in Pa.  I think it was from the 1920's. It showed the founder sawing an oversize log on an Ireland sawmill the looked like it had the power set.

NYIrelandMiller

One of these days I will learn all of the proper terminology, and be able to post back here.   Until then we're just gonna send it,   Right handed apparently.    I like to read.   I might print out the copies of the number 8 RH.    

Darrel

Welcome to the forum NYIerlandMiller!
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

petefrom bearswamp

Welcome to the forum
Where in NY are you?
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

paul case

I like this guys mill that happens to be and Ireland.

cutting ties on a 1923 ireland sawmill - YouTube

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

dgdrls

Welcome to the FF NYIrelandMiller

couple links first is a little history of Ireland
the second is an excellent circle saw reference
Northern Logger May 2015

https://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/misc/circsaw.pdf

we like sawmill photos here !!

best
D

Autocar

Pulling the feed handle if the log paces on your right side as it feeds into the saw it is a right hand mill and if it passes on your left as it feeds into the saw it is a left hand mill 
Bill

Ron Wenrich

I always figured if the logs come in on the right hand side of the mill, its a right hand mill.  I've run both.  
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

StimW

How do you know when an Irish Honeymoon is over?
When Peter goes to Dublin!    :)
New HF Band Mill
Branson 35 hp 4 WD Diesel Tractor W/Attachments- Backhoe, FEL W/ Bucket or Forks, 4' Tiller
4000# Clark Forklift W/24" Tires
Promark 6" Brush chipper W/18 hp Kohler

NYIrelandMiller

Thanks for all the info folks.   I just read the 93 page circle saw bible a member sent me.   I will also check out those links.   We do have a right hand number 8 (pretty sure it's not a 6) mill.    Bear swamp-   I can almost see bearswamp from my house, I am two hills east in Tully (Otisco).
Regarding the YouTube video of cutting ties,   I've seen a few videos of guys dropping only one dog on the head blocks and a video of not even dropping any dogs on the log.    That would make me nervous, but would save time.    We usually have one guy running the carriage (and first dog), one guy running 2-4 dogs, and one guy tailing the saw.   Powered by a pto 135-175 horse tractor sitting outside.

moodnacreek

Man your not hurtin for power.  When the log is heavy, on a flat side, no ice or snow, no dog.

petefrom bearswamp

Looked like the guy was only setting 1 dog and he had no hearing or eye protection.
He will be as hard of hearing as me when he gets older maybe blind too.
I sometimes dont clamp the cant until I am sawing thru and thru.
I only watched 8 mins of the vid then got bored.

Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

4x4American

Quote from: NYIrelandMiller on April 15, 2018, 01:43:55 PM
Thanks for all the info folks.   I just read the 93 page circle saw bible a member sent me.   I will also check out those links.   We do have a right hand number 8 (pretty sure it's not a 6) mill.    Bear swamp-   I can almost see bearswamp from my house, I am two hills east in Tully (Otisco).
Regarding the YouTube video of cutting ties,   I've seen a few videos of guys dropping only one dog on the head blocks and a video of not even dropping any dogs on the log.    That would make me nervous, but would save time.    We usually have one guy running the carriage (and first dog), one guy running 2-4 dogs, and one guy tailing the saw.   Powered by a pto 135-175 horse tractor sitting outside.
Next time I'm out that way I'd love to stop in and check your setup out I have friends in Tully, LaFayette, Otisco, Fabius, DeRuyter, Cortland, Etc etc
Boy, back in my day..

NYIrelandMiller

4x4- anytime I like to show it off.   Grandpa bought it in 1952 from Jamesville where they made ties for the railroad by rt 481.   We are a dairy farm, and grandpa and the dad and uncles built a few barns back in the day from the mill.   We mill only a couple weeks out of the year, and sell a little (mostly stockpile) on Craigslist Facebook word of mouth etc.   Mostly the ash that is dying the last few years, but some butternut, walnut, cottonwood, tulip poplar, spruce a couple locust, and one cherry log.   Basswood soon once my uncle gets the sawdust truck running.    He configured a silage blower to blow it onto a truck outside.    Might get a couple yards of sawdust at best in a day.    I would rather mill today and not worry about the sawdust, but waste not want not seems to be a common saying with low milk prices.   We only mill from Our own woods as we are very paranoid about hardware.   I like to make large dimensional lumber as I get bored of making boards.  Trying to get my friend to send some past videos so I can post them.

moodnacreek

N.Y. Ireland Mill, There has got to be very few people left that milk cows and saw lumber. I enjoy reading your posts and knowing you are out there working your land.

NYIrelandMiller

It's a dying breed milk and milling.   Comment away folks.   I have bought a few smaller wood lots the last few years in southern Onondaga county.   Have maple production on one parcel by a very efficient modern young ambitious  producer so am trying to help him expand.,My other parcel is too steep and far from the road for his Sao,, and my third is too small and full of ash.    Stihl chainsaws here.   Want to do more and more with wood but it's the time factor....

dgdrls

NYIrelandMiller

dropped you a PM.

D

thecfarm

Farmers here use to log a little in the winter time. Now they farm year around.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!