iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sassafras

Started by Busysawyer, April 12, 2018, 10:21:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Busysawyer

I have a fairly large sass that needs to come down.  From my understanding it is very large for a sassafras,  about 38in dbh.  My question is should this be quarter sawn? I have researched it a little and seems that some quarter it.
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile

Ron Wenrich

I don't see any advantage to quartersawing sassafras.  You won't get any additional character, as you do in oak or sycamore.  Sassafras is also very stable.  Sassafras has a decent grain, and flatsawing will give better appearance. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Don P

x2 the flatsawn grain will look better, it looks very similar to chestnut, quartering it would just be boring.

Busysawyer

Flatsawn it is then. Thanks guys
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile

warvin1959

I have several sassafras I am thinking of sawing for deck boards and hoping they are decently solid to the heart, which may be doubtful, they are 14" - 18", but has anyone had any experience on the splintering of sassafras? I am wanting to do something different for my own deck.

firefighter ontheside

That's HUGE sassafras.  I have sassafras all over my property, but the biggest is only about 6".  
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Don P

Its relatively soft, not as bad as cedar, and splits sort of easily but I don't consider it splintery at all.

Thank You Sponsors!