iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

LT 35 engine upgrade

Started by Southside, April 16, 2018, 08:36:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Southside

Ok - So I think I am going to order a Riehl edger and they offer it without an engine at a discounted price.  Hoping to kill two birds with one stone and my though is to take the 25HP Kohler off my LT35 and use it on the edger to give her a good, solid power unit.  In its place on the LT 35 I was thinking of putting a Kohler 35HP 999cc carb engine.  https://www.kohler-engine-parts.opeengines.com/horizontal-twin-cylinder-ch-ch980-3538-hp-999cc-c-781_72_151_328_476/kohler-engine-ch9803013-35-hp-command-pro-999cc-woodmizer-p-12224 

I figure the extra torque will make the 35 sing and increase production.  Looking for input on the sawp, the only potential issue I see is the up / down motor, which I could upgrade if need be.  I called Indy and they said they don't offer a kit for such a swap and that they had not tried such a set up so really could not offer any advice.  

What say you?
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

DR_Buck

The Kohler 999 is a significant upgrade.  I 8had Woodmixer upgrade my LT40 to the Kohler 38 HP fuel injected version last summer.   The engine required a new baseplate, pulley and alternator.   I think it would be extremely difficult to do on the LT35 as it uses the LT15 head assembly.

You are welcome to come over and look at mine to decide if it is something you want to tackle.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

pineywoods

weight will be a problem. This worked fine on my old lt40 when I did an engine swap
Faster UP for older woodmizers in Sawmills and Milling
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Darrel

My concern would be the LT35's ability to carry the extra weight. Its cantilever system is quite a bit different and I'm assuming less rugged than the LT40. 
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

ladylake

According to Kohlers website the 35hp is only 12# more than the 26 hp    .  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Ga Mtn Man

"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Deere80

Sounds like an awesome idea to me, go for it.
Wood-Mizer LT40WIDE 38HP

Southside

@DR_Buck I will take you up on that.  What was it about the alternator that was different?  
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

MartyParsons

Hello, 
  I would not recommend adding the extra weight to the LT35 saw head. My guess is that you will bend the metal that the up down bearings are suppprted by. I have replaced two of these already one was damaged by a truck mirror catching as it drove by and the other was hit by a log. 
Hope this helps. 
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Southside

Did the guy driving the log at least stop to check on the mill?   :D
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

DR_Buck

Quote from: Southside logger on April 16, 2018, 08:34:53 PM
@DR_Buck I will take you up on that.  What was it about the alternator that was different?  
The alternator is mounted different and is huge compared to the 25 HP one.

pineywoods

The real gotcha will probably be the main drive belt. A single belt likely won't handle 35 hp. Not much way to add a second belt..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Southside

It has a double drive belt on there now.  
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

DR_Buck

Quote from: Southside logger on April 17, 2018, 05:21:24 PM
It has a double drive belt on there now.  
I think the 38HP uses a triple wide belt.   I'll need to look at it tomorrow to confirm it.

Thank You Sponsors!