iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Blade teeth backwards

Started by CKWoodCutter, July 21, 2018, 11:09:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CKWoodCutter

Just wondering if any of you have ever received a new band that had the teeth backwards. Looking at it I don't think you can flip it or it would be backwards on the mill. I didn't know if I was missing something or it was just a factory mistake. Thanks in advance.

Percy

GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

CKWoodCutter

thecfarm

I had to do it once,very easy. I drew some teeth on my mill so I knew what way the teeth are going. First time I had one backwards,I knew it did not look right.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

bwstout

Not sure just why but all the blades I buy the teeth are going in the opposite direction. Suppose it is the way they are built I have to filp all of my inside out. When I sharpen them  I have to flip them back the way they were from the factory. It sure will smoke for a bit if you forget and want make much sawdust ;D My mil runs clockwise when you are standing behind it
home built mill

JB Griffin

Quote from: bwstout on July 21, 2018, 01:20:42 PM
My mil runs clockwise when you are standing behind it

Every mill I have ever seen does too.

You are probably buying blades from a weld em up shop that mainly services people with resaws as most run backwards to mills.
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

bwstout

probably so I have a home built mill found a place to make them for me but it not a problem to flip them just been green ;) the first time I bought them took a bit to figure what the problem was.
home built mill

Southside

Yea, put one on that way once, didn't even notice it until part way down a log when I was scratching my head wondering why the blade was making so much noise. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

logman 219

backwards teeth  -- now that is  funny !!!! if you dont know any thing about a wheelbarrow please stay away from machinery !!!

Magicman

I see nothing wrong with being at different stages of the learning curve.  The Forestry Forum is here to learn/teach/share and I saw several members offering very solid advice.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

crowhill

Some of us go thru the same learning curve more than once! That's when I retell myself "yup Dad said there'd be days like that!".
TimberKing B-20, Kubota M-4900 w/FEL with tooth bar, hyd thumb and forks, Farmi winch, 4 chain saws.

SawyerTed

+1 on Magicman's response.  Will Rogers said, "Everbody is ignorant, only on different subjects."  This forum is fantastic in fighting ignorance in saw milling and a wide variety of related and not so related subjects......so there really aren't dumb questions because what is obvious to some isn't to others.  The only dumb questions are the one's not asked that get you into trouble.

I had a customer that wanted to "show" me how to coil a band saw blade.  When he was done it was inside out and backwards.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Runningalucas

Heck, the only bandsaw's I've used were portable job site saws for conduit; I guarantee all the blades I ever got were the right direction; so had little to no experience with flipping the blades.... 

I mention this, as I just bought a new blade for my dad's metal bandsaw, it was 'backwards', and I called Oxarc, they didn't know that you can flip them as well.  It was a few hours later of 'them' looking for reverse teeth blades that they called, and 'weren't sure', but thought I could flip the blade.... Yup.

If that makes me a dummy, then I'll wear the king crown for that I guess.  I've gotta say though, it's funny someone else had the same issue about the same time.  My mill is a circle mill. 
Life is short, tragedy is instant, it's what we do with our time in between that matters.  Always strive to do better, to be better.

Southside

The great thing about this forum is that you can fess up to your mistakes here knowing that if it's a funny one, the other guys are reading the post either shaking their head and laughing with you, shaking their head and saying, "yup done that too", or will think of the post when they do that. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Dave Shepard

Don't you have to flip a band inside out for some single tooth setters?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

shenandoahsawmill

I run 5" wide double cut bandsaw blades and can saw in both directions so no backward saw blades until I take them to the sharpener which is right hand. I have to flip them inside out then. It takes two of us to do this and we both have to wear leather welding gloves and jackets so we don't look like victims of shark attacks.

PA_Walnut

Quote from: shenandoahsawmill on July 22, 2018, 07:03:25 AMIt takes two of us to do this and we both have to wear leather welding gloves and jackets so we don't look like victims of shark attacks.

That's crying out to have a video made!! :D
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

Flintlock427

I is a VERY good idea to wear gloves while flipping are unfolding a band saw blade

CCCLLC

When working at large "professional" mill with 6' twin bandmills, heard quite the odd sound on first log cut. When I went to look, yep, left hand and right hand saws put on the the wrong Mills, teeth backwards (upside down) . These saws take 3 people to put on safely and know one noticed. At feed rate of 250'/minute, the first log was unique to say the least. We all can do it. I have done it on LT 40 as well.

Remle

Quote from: Dave Shepard on July 22, 2018, 12:06:08 AM
YES and they advance the feed from the opposite direction as well..

Nomad

A while back I saw a YouTube video some guy made, cutting a log with the band on backwards.  He was complaining about the sawmill.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Peter Drouin

I remember that.  ::) :D :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

killamplanes

X2 on the always were gloves before touching a band. Never fails in a hurry gloves aren't near flipping or putting on a band. Instantly blood everywhere and you would think I would get smarter with age.. and yes I have been guilty of putting blade on and tightening and then a few choice words flipping blade and tightening.
jd440 skidder, western star w/grapple,tk B-20 hyd, electric, stihl660,and 2X661. and other support Equipment, pallet manufacturing line

bwstout

Quote from: Dave Shepard on July 22, 2018, 12:06:08 AM
Yes you do.
home built mill

Thank You Sponsors!