iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Vertical Bandmill

Started by macurtis, April 20, 2002, 07:50:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

macurtis

Has anyone seen a vertical bandsaw in operation?
Does it cut good lumber? Just wondering.

Ron Wenrich

I used to have a video of one.  The outfit was out of Missouri, but, I think they went out of business.  

To me, it seems like more of a natural way of doing the sawing.  Sawdust isn't as much of a problem, you have better visibility on your log, and it is easier to move the sawn material.  I didn't like their dogging system, as it seemed a little undersized.  Production was supposed to be 3500/day with one man.  Edger was an add on.

Sanborn, out of Maine, used to make a mill with a 27 degree tilt.  It used wider bands and was a real good production model.  Sawdust was no problem, and boards were brought back to the operator.  

Lumber quality is often a sawyer thing.  Better sawyers produce better quality lumber.  
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

splinters

Some if not all of the big commercial outfits saw with bands.
Harden Furniture which is nearby has a unit and its awsome.
Sometimes a person can get a tour just by asking.
A long time ago there was a series of books called Foxfire, about life in the south, that ran a section on mills. Had interviews and pictures of guys who built bandmills fron scratch. Check the Librarys.
You guys are starting to make me think that a mill is the way to cure my lack of good affordable hardwood problem.

Thank You Sponsors!