iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Traditional timber framing workshop openings

Started by Jim_Rogers, September 16, 2018, 09:17:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Rogers

I just received word that there are a few opening left to the "Traditional Approach" timber framing workshop being taught by Jack Sobon and Dave Carlon at the Hancock Shaker Village museum near Pittsfield, MA.

I have attached the pdf file/registration form.
If you want to learn square rule timber framing this is the course to take.

I'll be there on Friday.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Brian_Weekley

If you want to learn timber framing, this is one of the best courses you can take--taught by two masters of the trade.  Also, a very reasonable price for a 5 day course.  The Hancock Shaker Village is also a beautiful location to take a timber frame course and a chance for some behind the scene tours of the historic buildings on site.

Timber Frame Workshop - YouTube
e aho laula

Jim_Rogers

Thanks for posting that video. It was very good.

Jim Rogers

Dave Shepard

Was Mark M. (the Donut Assasin) in your class,  Brian? I know he took the workshop, but I don't know which year. I'm pretty sure that's his van on the trailer. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Brian_Weekley

Hi Dave,

That was 2011--hard to believe it's been that long!  I don't recall the "donut assassin" reference, but i do believe the guy who had the white truck was Mark.  He's the one standing next to you in the group photo.

Brian

Brian
e aho laula

Dave Shepard

Mark was having trouble with the donuts trash talking him, so he had to silence them. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Dana Stanley

Will they have one in the spring? It looks awesome and priced very reasonably. 
Making Sawdust, boards and signs.
Woodland Mills HM-126
Kabota B-7800 with backhoe and loader
Ford Ranger, Husqvarna 455 20", Mac 610 24", other chainsaws 14", 23 ton log splitter
Matthew 3:10

Dave Shepard

No, it is only during the Country Fair weekend. Heartwood School in Washington, MA, will have TF workshops next spring/summer.

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: Dave Shepard on September 18, 2018, 02:56:44 PM
No, it is only during the Country Fair weekend. Heartwood School in Washington, MA, will have TF workshops next spring/summer.
At a much higher price.
Of all the classes offered in New England that I go to this is the lowest priced one.
Jim Rogers

Dana Stanley

Quote from: Jim_Rogers on September 18, 2018, 04:08:54 PM
Quote from: Dave Shepard on September 18, 2018, 02:56:44 PM
At a much higher price.
Of all the classes offered in New England that I go to this is the lowest priced one.
Jim Rogers
I would love to go to this one, but I just spent a bunch of money on my mill and accessories, plus one of our apartments, so I really can't drop another $600.00 and miss work! I wish I could go before I set out to build my mill shed, but Iv'e learned many things in a vacuum before. Sometimes it's good to try things on your own first, because you then have a lot of good questions, when you do get some training. 
Woodland Mills HM-126
Ford Ranger, Husqvarna 455 20", Mac 610 24", other chainsaws 14", 23 ton log splitter

Dana Stanley

I emailed Jack. I am in if there is still openings.
Woodland Mills HM-126

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: Dana Stanley on September 20, 2018, 12:47:19 PM
Great, see you next Friday.
Jim Rogers

Brian_Weekley

Quote from: Dana Stanley on September 20, 2018, 12:47:19 PM
You'll enjoy it.  I originally thought I'd be able to build a timber frame without a class, but after taking it, I know it would have been much more difficult if I hadn't.  You will learn many tips, techniques, and gain much understanding about things like how to cut housings and joints to accommodate the shrinkage of the beams with time.  The things you learn will help you build a faster and higher quality frame.  Have fun!
e aho laula

Mad Professor

I can't swing the $600 now but can do $60 for HSV membership.  That will get me in HSV year round.

If time permits I might be there a couple of days to observe the workshop and the checkout the weekend fair.  Hope weather cooperates.

Jim, will you be bringing any tools?  If so I'll look over my needs and your inventory.

Best,

MP

Jim_Rogers

Yes, I'll only be there on Friday morning from 8am till noonish.
Jim Rogers

Dave Shepard

Sneak peek of the timbers. A couple of the braces came out a little weird. I guess they'll just have to figure out how to use them the way they are.  :D

Dave Shepard

Brian_Weekley

I was waiting to see pictures.  Another successful frame—looks great!  Did you get to meet Dana at the course?  
e aho laula

Dave Shepard

Yes. There were a lot of former students there yesterday. There were several repeat students, and at least one threepeat student.

Dana Stanley

It was a great class I had a lot of fun, learned a lot, and worked really hard.
Woodland Mills HM-126

Brian_Weekley

Glad you liked the class.  Is that you sitting on top with the suspenders?  You really get a nice feeling of group accomplishment when you see everyone's pieces come together on the last day.  Hopefully it energized you to tackle your mill shed next!
  8)
e aho laula

Dana Stanley

Quote from: Brian_Weekley on October 03, 2018, 07:42:40 PM
Glad you liked the class.  Is that you sitting on top with the suspenders?  You really get a nice feeling of group accomplishment when you see everyone's pieces come together on the last day.  Hopefully it energized you to tackle your mill shed next!
 8)
Yes that was me sitting up top. I really liked assembling the building, and being part of the crew. I've built houses and done large remodels, so I was right at home.
Woodland Mills HM-126

Thank You Sponsors!