iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Comparing sharpeners

Started by Crossroads, September 23, 2018, 10:16:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crossroads

I'm considering buying the equipment to sharpen and set my own blades. WM has the BMS250 BMT250 combo on sale. Cooks has the cat claw and a setter on sale also. I currently have all WM bands in 4 & 7°  The WM combination is about $1500 more with wheels an oil. I've watched the videos on the WM setup, but haven't seen anything in the cooks combo so, I don't know if I'm comparing apples to apples or not. That's for any feedback on both units. 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Tramp Bushler

Interesting thread. I'm also wondering about grinders and setters. Mighty Mite's are over $2500. For the pair.
Kinda spendy for right now for me.
I'm wondering how much is involved in one of these grinders and if the different brands do different things.
Any insights are appreciated !!.
If your not wearing your hard hat when you need it. Well.

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: Crossroads on September 23, 2018, 10:16:24 PMWM has the BMS250 BMT250 combo on sale.
I have these and are happy with them after 2-1/2 yrs use.  I previously had the Shop series and these are a big improvement. Both BMS250 and BMT 250 reference and elevate the blade from the back side of the blade. Adjusting the blade height eliminates any difference between bands of a given style. This reduces the setup time for sharpening or setting each band to less than a minute. 

BMS250 sharpener, my experience
pros:  reference blade from back-turn adjustment knob incrementally one way or the other to get exactly same grind knowing blade width, powerful grinder motor has never cut out (overheated), grinds as fast as I want, big oil pan and enclosure, blade wipers keep oil loss down, magnet blade shutoff, industrial construction weighs 200 pounds, well built electrical controls, can duct oil vapor away if desired
cons: these are minor but, a bit tedious switching wheels and aligning for different style bands, magnet shutoff method have to wait 30 seconds or so to put on magnet

BMT250 setter, my experience
pros: has gauges which are essential to knowing what the setter is doing.  If desired can also back off pushers and just watch the set for the entire blade, to find out which teeth are causing problems on a  blade that cuts with kerf marks. Robust construction, references from back of blade, easy and quick to put in and adjust each blade.  Motor driven with automatic shutoff via tooth counter.  
cons: I had both of the heavy setter springs break within first 2 yrs, $18 each.  Setting precision about +/- 2 thousandths from a given number.  Will not clamp out all deformations occurring in bands.  Things I think about that would be nice but not sure practical cost wise) : Will not reduce set. Will not electronically report out the set. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Chuck White

Go to the Cooks web site, they have videos, both companies are sponsors for the Forestry Forum, and both have very good products and services.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

YellowHammer

I've had both sharpeners, I still have the WM.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

reswire

Is anyone using the BMTS 50?  Woodmizer sells this sharpener/setter for $1400.00 on sale.  Just curious if it would be adequate for a 10 band per week business...
Norwood LM 30, JD 5205, some Stihl saws, 15 goats, 10 chickens, 1 Chessie and a 2 Weiner dogs...

barbender

If I were only using a few WM profiles, I'd probably go with  the WM CBN sharpener. I have the Cook's it works good and is among the best drag type sharpeners. The overall build is heavy, but it does have kind of a "built in a home shop" look to it though. I've been having problems with the drive belt jumping off. As I looked into it further, I could see the pulleys were very misaligned. As I got farther into it, it appears that it was shimmed at an angle to make a too short drive belt work. So I'll have to get a longer belt to make it right. I wasn't very impressed with that. Other than some things like that, it does a good job grinding blades. I have a Suffolk setter, it seems to work well. I haven't done a lot of blades with it. It does vecome very tedious as mine is an older model with no set guages, so I have to check the blades with a caliper as I make adjustments. In summary, I would say sharpening and setting gets to be pretty tedious work, spend as much as your budget allows to make the job go quickly and accurately.
Too many irons in the fire

Crossroads

Thanks for the feedback, once the sale of our house closes I'll probably get the WM ordered. 

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Stephen1

I am in the process of buying a setter and sharpener.
I want to start a sharpening service. There is no one in this area that can sharpen and set. I do have the older drag sharpener and single tooth setter. I do not like using it. 
I will go thru 100 blades a year so having a easy to use system would be great,( so I can hire someone to do it, like my GF, she likes the job, just has problems with the drag sharpener)
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Pabene

Stephen1,
I am sure your GF can be the best to sharpen blades in your area. What she need is a good sharpener. Here in my part of the World there are some good enough. I know what is good and necessary in a sharpener. If you are going to sharpen blades for others it is best to start with a drag sharpener. The sharpener shall be designed with scales for each "function" so you can go from one tooth profile to an other without time consuming tests. You have to note  the data for each customers blades an be able find the set up for that blade at the next time. With a drag sharpener you can meet the customers requirements for different hook angles and tooth pitch, without to have a number of expensive wheels. I don't know about the US and Canadien made sharpeners. One of the best and most universal sharpeners I have used, for tasks like yours, is "Pilous OR71F". Here it is not the most expensive grinder but it is ready to use as it is delivered.
I like to see you have a Ferguson

JB Griffin

Quote from: Crossroads on September 23, 2018, 10:16:24 PMI don't know if I'm comparing apples to apples or not. 
Your not, one is a sharpener and the other looks like one.
Quote from: YellowHammer on September 24, 2018, 08:48:20 AM
I've had both sharpeners, I still have the WM.

2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

barbender

Oh come on, JB. The Cook's, while a bit crude IMO, is a completely functional sharpener.
Too many irons in the fire

rjwoelk

I have a question with this sharping, so if you had a blade that has hit a nail and you got marks on your boards, now you have forgot about which blade it is and you sharpen them, does the setter straighten the over set tooth or teeth? Or is this something one has to check and fix ahead of time or else you would still have tooth marks on your boards. Just wondering,
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Crossroads

Quote from: rjwoelk on October 03, 2018, 12:25:52 AM
I have a question with this sharping, so if you had a blade that has hit a nail and you got marks on your boards, now you have forgot about which blade it is and you sharpen them, does the setter straighten the over set tooth or teeth? Or is this something one has to check and fix ahead of time or else you would still have tooth marks on your boards. Just wondering,
I believe the setters are one way, they only add set 

Chuck White

Your dial indicator will show if a tooth is "overset"!

At that point, you can just take a pair of pliers or a crescent wrench and close it on the tooth and bend it back and then reset it!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

rjwoelk

Would it not be better to just have a set of rollers the blade passes through and it takes the over set out, this step would be done first. Does some one make such a tool?
Were is the dial indicator located? On the setter? That means one has to watch that and it would not be a automatic operation.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Chuck White

I had this one made a couple of years ago!

Works really good, evens up the set, cuts the setting time down to less than 10 minutes, doing both sides!

JB Griffin

Quote from: barbender on October 02, 2018, 11:53:00 PM
Oh come on, JB. The Cook's, while a bit crude IMO, is a completely functional sharpener.
Your right, it is a matter of opinion. 

2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

Thank You Sponsors!