iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

how much is a used norwood lumbermate 2000 worth? Advice on what to buy

Started by MN Joe 39, March 22, 2019, 05:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MN Joe 39

Hi Everyone! I've been looking for a manual sawmill for about 6 months now and have lost out on a few by not making my decision fast enough. Willing to spend up to $12-13K on the right one and it will be used mainly for hobby. I'd say my top 3 in order are TimberKing 1220 with upgraded motor and trailer package, Norwood lumberpro hd36 and woodmizer. I'v read mostly good things about all of them. I would prefer to buy used and spend under $10k, but there isn't many options close to me. I came across a lumbermate 2000 that's 8 years old, has a brand new 23hp Honda and can cut up to 33' and is on a custom built trailer and they are asking $11,500 for it and I was just hoping you guys could tell me if you think its a fair deal or if he's way outta line. With my add and limited patience I'm scared away of a brand new norwood and it's 30 some boxes to assemble lol! I appreciate any information/advice your willing to share with me!
Thanks
Joe

shelby78

The one question I would as yourself is how wide do you wish to cut? A lumbermate 2000 will only cut 24 inches wide if I remember correctly. I did have one years ago and it did cut very well. I now have a LT-15 wide and it also cuts very well but it will cut 35.5 inches wide.

MN Joe 39

Thanks for the reply Shelby! I guess I thought that sawmill would cut 31" wide. I would like something to cut 30" or more wide.

shelby78

Quote from: MN Joe 39 on March 22, 2019, 05:54:14 PM
Thanks for the reply Shelby! I guess I thought that sawmill would cut 31" wide. I would like something to cut 30" or more wide.
I should try to clarify a bit more..  When I was new to sawmills I found out some sawmills rate the unit by the log diameter you can put on the mill not the max width it will cut a slab or board. They will say you can cut a 31 inch log (And you can) but you cant cut 31 inches wide. The marketing sometimes adds to the confusion I found... Its even harder to get details on older out of date mills.

Skip

The best I could do with mine was 25in.Just sold my 15 year old LM 2000 for $3500 (to a friend ).

Mike W

I purchase the LT 15 wide last year, new, taxes and delivery and extra box of blades and was just north of 10K.  Been a great mill thus far and performs as I would have expected.  WM has great customer service, as do most other makers.  If your looking at a manual mill, it would be worth at least looking at the LT 15 wide, use its performance specs to look around at other makes and decide what ultimately is the most important aspects each model offers to narrow down your search.  Best of luck and keep us posted as you progress into making saw dust, er and some boards.

Stephen1

If your willing to spend 10-12 and only want a manual mill, LT15wide will serve you well. As previously said it is the throat of the mill that is the most important. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

DeepWoods

I have a 2003 LM 2000 with a 23hp Briggs and can cut to 21 feet with a trailer package and lots of accessories that I made for it.  I don't have a lot of hours on it, less than 200 and I have told my wife, if something happens to me, she better not give it away.  It's not for sale but I wouldn't let it go for less than 7500.00.   I just like to be able to cut what I want, when I want.  Manual mills can be lots of work, but I have plenty of time.
Norwood LM2000 with 23 HP Briggs and 21 foot track, Hand Built Logging Arch, Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener and Setter. 48" Xtreme Duty Logrite Cant Hook.

Outlaw

I can't comment if the Norwood is a good deal. But I would suggest to find some mills close to you and take a first hand look at them. Not sure what part of MN your from but I'm 45 miles north of Duluth and have a TK 1600 you could check out.
TK 1600, old logging equipment,  sthil chainsaws

MN Joe 39

Thanks everyone! I think I'm going to give wood-miz/er a call Monday and take advantage of their sale and order the LT15 wide. I'll keep ya posted! And thanks for the offer to come run the 1600, but I will definitely pass on that so I don't try to talk myself into spending more lol. I'm a half hour or so south of Minneapolis. It sure is nice to get honest answers/suggestions from you guys with your knowledge and experience! Take Care guys

ladylake

I'd sure check on a EZ Boardwalk 40, big capacity and reasonable.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

bushhog920

1countryboy

MN joe 39

sent you a personal post in reference to this discussion.  

Your best option with limited $$ would be to buy the basic Norwood HD36 NEW.   Add all the bells and whistles when u have the $.   
Ohio Certified Tree Farm, Ohio Centennial Farms, Ashland County Soil Conservation Award., USDA/ASCS/FSA forest management(TSI) 1963 to present, retired educator, NOT retired farmer and a real farm shop to fix all my old equipment.

Thank You Sponsors!