iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Define "Slab"

Started by DR Buck, March 23, 2019, 09:12:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DR Buck

I've seen lots of posts on facebook, craigslist and other places advertising slabs for sale.   I even had a customer bring slabs for kiln drying.    I've always considered slabs as really wide (over 24") boards, both live edge and edged.    Apparently all these people posting slabs for sale are just trying to sell thick live edge boards no wider than a foot to a foot and a half as slabs.

So what is a slab?
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

123maxbars

At my sawmill (Northeast TN) I consider a slab to be a live edge board thicker than 4/4 (usually 9/4 or 8/4) and any width.   
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

Larry

A board that sells for three times the money its worth!

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

marcnaz

i always thought it was a live edge slice that wasn't cut as dimentional lumber.. basically a horizontal (or oval) slice from a log.  Seems one live edge meets some folk's definition as in a live edge mantle.
USAF Retired

Southside

Lets just add to the confusion and throw in "slab wood" - IE the opening cuts of a log, we give a lot away for firewood and I can't tell you how many folks call up expecting that I am giving away 24" wide, live edge, 8/4, walnut..... ::)
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

terrifictimbersllc

If it's a customer saying it it can mean almost  any part of a log.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Downstream

In my neck of the woods a slab means greater than 5/4 thick, 2 live edges, rough sawn other two faces.  normally 12in wide minimum.
EZ Boardwalk Jr,  Split Second Kinetic logsplitter, Granberg Alaskan Chainsaw Mill, Stihl 660 and 211, Logrite 60" cant hook, Dixie 32 Tongs

Woodpecker52

Live edged greater than 2 inches and whatever the customer calls it.
Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

Magicman

But in the truest sense what we are commonly calling "slabs" are actually "flitches".  They are defined as; "a piece of lumber with wane on one or both edges".  Flitches will be produced after the initial face opening is made which actually produces a "slab".

Slabs are defined as;  "the exterior portion of a log removed in sawing".  :P

Of course the above has nothing to do with dealing with today's market.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

moosehunter

I use the terms "slab" as the outside of the log and "project slab" as the two sawn face, live edge.

mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Don P

Magicman

I was thinking 'bout a big old crappie.  fishin-smiley
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

PA_Walnut

I have begun to add super-wide dimensional material to the "slab" category also. Essential, if it will make a countertop or table top without gluing, it goes into our "SLABS" sort.

NOTE: Online, the category of "slab" certainly does NOT mean that it is neither dry nor ready to use. You can simply get a chainsaw mill, $199 rig on Amazon, and you are suddenly in the slab market. Had another dude yesterday telling me about bugs coming out of this Facebook slab.  :o :-\
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

YellowHammer

I seem to use the term loosely.  Basically, anything that fits in the context of "This BOS (Big Ol Slab) is heavy, help me lift it."  Or "DanG, I popped my drag back circuit breaker again, trying to pull back that BOS."  "Why did I cut so many of those BOS, I should have cut some boards instead."

Sometimes, I substitute the term BAS if a particular BOS is giving me trouble.  :D :D
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

John Bartley

Quote from: Magicman on March 23, 2019, 10:34:28 PM
Slabs are defined as;  "the exterior portion of a log removed in sawing".  :P
Yes, this  (above)  is what I call a slab .... a chunk of wood with one milled face and balance of the faces "all" being live edge.  This of course means that one side is flat and the other side is rounded over ..... being all live edge, how could it be anything else?
A board of any thickness less than 2", with live edge on two sides, and the two widest opposite faces being both milled and parallel are what I call "flitches"
Anything bigger than a board, being milled on all four sides, but not finished it's milling is what I call a "cant".
A board is milled on four sides, smaller than 2" in thickness, and ready for use or market.
Anything bigger than a board is what I call a beam.
Kioti DK35HSE w/loader & forks
Champion 25hp band mill, 20' bed
Stihl MS361
Stihl 026

red

A typical full slab of ribs has 11 to 13 bones.
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

moodnacreek

When I started there was traditional sawmill lingo and slabs where and still are the outside waste. Round edge or wane edge planks are called slabs by the newbies. Also milling was what a grist mill did. A sawmill SAWED!

OffGrid973

Anything without a straight edge and worth $300 :)

Slab mounted to the wall becomes a shelf, and mounted to legs becomes a breakfast bar.

Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

Thank You Sponsors!