iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Found another tree species on my property (SOLVED: black walnut)

Started by Lanier_Lurker, October 28, 2008, 11:23:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lanier_Lurker

I was standing on my neighbor's deck yesterday afternoon and spotted a sapling.  When I went to turn the leaves for a closer look I accidentally broke the stem on this compound leaf.

I think I may have found my first black walnut tree near my home?   ???

jon12345

A.A.S. in Forest Technology.....Ironworker

SwampDonkey

Or butternut, if that terminal leaflet is in tact. Has the leaf axis got sticky hairs? Both walnuts have sticky hairs. Looks like walnut though.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Dodgy Loner

I' pretty sure it's a black walnut.  To find a butternut growing wild in LL's area would be quite a find.  Hopefully next year there will be plently of butternut seedlings around his place :).  Black walnut seedlings often fail to lose their terminal leaflet until the second or third year.  It looks like that one may still be intact, which isn't too surprising.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Lanier_Lurker

Are the slightly alternate leaflets present on butternut as well?

SwampDonkey

Yeah, but it's a sapling. But, by the looks of how the leaflets cluster on the tip end, its more likely to be walnut.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Lanier_Lurker on October 28, 2008, 12:20:21 PM
Are the slightly alternate leaflets present on butternut as well?

No, not that I've witnessed.

SwampDonkey

Went to one of the butternut threads to see the leaves and there was one leaf that had one pair of leaflets alternate. But, the rule seems to be no alternation.

Thank You Sponsors!