iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Found another tree species on my property #2 (SOLVED: blackgum)

Started by Lanier_Lurker, October 29, 2008, 11:22:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

A large blackgum has bark that looks a lot like sweetgum, only a tad scalier to my eye.  It can also turn knobby when it gets big, especially on a dry site.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Dodgy Loner

I agree that it's similar to sweetgum, except it breaks up into blocks that are a little more squarish than the long, rectangular blocks of sweetgum bark.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

WDH

Yes.  When it gets knobby, the knobs are almost perfect squares.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SamB

Quote from: WDH on November 01, 2008, 07:57:01 PM
A large blackgum has bark that looks a lot like sweetgum, only a tad scalier to my eye.  It can also turn knobby when it gets big, especially on a dry site.
Quote from: Dodgy Loner on November 03, 2008, 08:03:07 AM
I agree that it's similar to sweetgum, except it breaks up into blocks that are a little more squarish than the long, rectangular blocks of sweetgum bark.
Look anything like this?

WDH

Dodgy Loner

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!