iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Peterson Sawmills

Started by Rod, October 29, 2003, 09:28:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rod

Would the Peterson Automated Sawmill be good for cutting ties?

And does anyone have any idea how many ties you could cut a day with it?

And I wonder how much it cost?

I didn't see the price at there web site.

KiwiJake

This is a topic I can relate too :), the automated would be great for cutting ties. A swing mill excells (although, thats not all they excell in) when cutting equal dimension lumber as the motor is using it's full horse power every time, (with a six meter log you could cut a 10"x10" (sleeper) in around 30-40 seconds).

Provided you have a good foundation, log loading machinery (forklift?) and maybe  a couple of off bearers, an incredible amount of production a day would be possible, the mill would not slow you down. All this secondary machinery is not crutial but it would REALLY increase your production.

The price is around $28 000 US inclusive shipping.

The mill would be able to push the cants off using it's secondary power pack WHILE it cuts the next cant (2 in one process). It's got a whole bunch of features but that wasn't your question so I'll restrain a bit :-X.

Just so you know, I am from Petersons and am one of the designers involved in this machine, so forgive me if I sound over enthusiastic toward it at times. Anyway it sounds like we are ready for the US market, I've been told that if we get  3 sales of the automated. One of us will fly over and give detailed training instructions as a group thing. I'm hoping it will be me.

Ianab

Hi Rod
  I'm a Peterson owner (older model Stihl powered) but I've seen the Auto mill running. I'd say it would be about the best thing for the $$ for cutting up big railway ties. You would need a good setup like Jake suggests to get max production, cos loading logs and offloading the ties would be the major bottlenecks.
But yes .. it does cut like the claim.  :)

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Rod

Thanks KiwiJaken,I was wondering If I had a forkfift and the help how many 7''x9''x9' ties cut from 15''-20''do you think I could cut a day?

And say you have a 16' log,when you make the cut at the bottom of the log does the tie come done on the blade,or do you put a wedge in it like you do when you double cut?

KiwiJake

OK, I would have three sets of log dogs on my skid, fit three logs this way,  two stacked on top of them, and one on top of the two, so you would get a pyramid stack (I would do it this way if I were sawing uniform diameter logs).

If they were not uniform I would only saw three at a time, probably get about two ties out of these sized logs. So that gives me about 6 ties each load. The remainder of the logs would be turned into usable boards.

The sawing process for a set of three logs would probably take 10-15 mins (I'd have a forklift at the other end of the mill so the board remover pushes the ties straight onto the forks).  

The ties would not rest on the blade, when cutting big beams it is best to push the boards off the other end, this results by starting the cut in horizontal and then finishing in vertical so
the blade is not under the wieght, check the pic out.

It would probably be possible to get 150 ??? ties a day with an off hand helping.

PS, I am buying my mill (Automated swinger) in about two weeks, I really want to get back into milling, the odd perk jobs around (good profit when you get the work).

KiwiJake

Oops, I was figuring that the logs were about 6 meters, being only 3 meters long you could have 3 sets of logs inline with another three sets of logs so you could double your production, in theory anyway. These figures are not typical but rather what could be possible. Ties are easy cutting so long as you've got a great system for moving and stacking them.

Bring on MY mill  8),allready got a big diesel tip truck, trailer and equipment to do it, all I need is my mill. I'll be gettin a hold of it when I get back from the South Island Automatic mill road show. Hopefully I'll get some colourfull pictures of the place when I'm there.

Rod

150 ties per day sounds great.

Even at half that amount would be fine with me.

Thats over 7000 bf of tie lumber per day.

I guess I just might have to buy one from you when you get to the US.

One other question.

Were you figuring the 150 ties with1, 2,or 3 men?

Rod

One more question

What if I put 3 18' logs on the log dogs and the cut 7''x9''x18' ties then drag them back then cut them to 9'. at a later time

My question is does the drag back have enought power to drag back and 18' tie?

KiwiJake

The mill has a drag back OR push forward facillity, in this situation you would push the beams forward. I'll have to cut some 7x9's at that length when I go down south, I'll get back to you. I have pushed off a 10x10 at about 5 meters long but that was pine, the question is not in the power pack but the actual stainless plate that brings it back (some types of wood are very heavy). I'm pretty confident that it would be fine though.

The "drag back" facillity was more designed for your every day boards of lighter wieght as yes heavy beams would come to rest on the blade unless wedges were used.

If you were only cutting the 3 meter logs you could get away with one guy, two if your doing the big 6 meter ones (probably still to heavy for two guys to move around).

Rod

Thanks KiwiJake

If you get a chance try beech or oak  7''x9''x18' sometime.

They would weight about 400lbs

I was figuring I would slide that 18' ties on to the forks with the drag back.

Let me know when you will be in Pennsylvania Maryland Ohio.area,I'll stop and have a look at your mill.

Minnesota_boy

Rod,
When you get the mill, look close at how it is set up.  Instead of pushing that big ol tie off the end, maybe you can push it off the side and onto some rollers to move it onto your forks.  If you can, then one man can handle it instead of 3.  More profit if you can cut the payroll.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

C_Miller

Jake,

Are you all working on a video with more info on the ATS?  I just got one video about all three machines. One with more detail would be a good thing for me cause I'm in the planning stages of a new barn. From what you've said the ATS would do what I need and more.

C
CJM

KiwiJake

The model that I'm talking about is called the ASM (automated swing mill), the ATS is the (all terrain mill) this is a much cheaper version that is all manual.

What I can do is take a video of the shows when I'm down south, of JUST the automatic. What you guys could do to help me is just give your requests, eg "you want too see the mill cutting 9"x7" ties". I'll do this regardless because it needs to be done anyway. (the mill that you guys may have seen is our first prototype in action, much cleaner machine now).

Try and think of every thing you need to see to make your decision all the easier. Post here or E-mail me. I'll be headin off in three days and be back in a week and a half, you guys (provided you give me your address's) will get the full footage from as much as I could get of it cutting/setting up etc.

Rod

Thanks Jake

My address is

Rod Hays

Bickmore WV

BOX 190

ZIPE 25019

Rod

Also the reason I like your mill over the other mills is for one I don't have the bandblades to ajust

Also it will produce as may board feet per hour as an LT70 with the Cat motor.

And also the price difference  of about $15,000 more for the LT 70 Cat verses the Peterson

KiwiJake

It's good that your doing your research, another big advantage especially when your dealing with big ties like that is the fact you don't have to re-handle large sections of the log. One pass through the log gives your tie.

I've got your address stuck to my fridge for when I get back, I hope you will be enthusiasticly exited when you get my home video of it.

One of the guys just took a 10" version over to hamilton to give a public demo of it, the host was a Peterson manual mill owner (this guy cuts a heap of wood a day, built like a brick house), he ended up running it the whole day. As they were packin up he said that it was as if he was going to his best mates funeral. Sounds as if he's gonna get one if he can convince his wife  :-[.

Rod have you done any milling before and if so what were you using (sounds as if you are familiar with maybe a bandsaw). Have you got a market sorted for your ties?

ronwood

KiwiJake,

What keeps the mill from moving when you drag back say a 10 x 10 in. cant.

Ron
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

KiwiJake

About 400kg of the complete mills weight pretty much holds the mill down, other options are simply pegging the alloy skids into the ground. I haven't come across this problem yet so there has been no need. The weight of the beam/tie is not the drag back wieght, the drag back weight is something much less as it is merely sliding (all that is required is a little umph at the very beginning to get slide happening).

Rod

Yes KiwiJake,the tie treatment plants are begging for ties.

And the pallet companies need lumber also as do the flooring companies.

I've done a little sawmilling but not enough to say I've made a living from it.

Another thing I like about your mill is I don't need an edger,or a big truck to move it around.

As far as figuring out how to saw for grade on your sawmill I haven't,but I'm not planning on that anyway as a market.

If everthing works out I might later on get a band resaw to go along with the Peterson.

Cut cants out with the Peterson and run the cant thruogh the resaw.

I could cut for grade with the resaw if I need to.

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

Now look,
                             :P
I 'lready want a Peterson b-a-d.  During the Christmas break of 2001, I studied every brand of band saw, multi-rip circular, and swinger that I could find, via the internet - and that's a bunch of machines.  Considering my preference for big hardwood, I was convinced that I needed the king of swingers in my life.

My wife is not convinced.   ;)

While I slave with my Alaskan mill,  I can still dream, but you guys are making it awful on me.  The time's not right .  The money's too tight!
Phil L.                             ???
Bi-VacAtional:  Piano tuner and sawyer.  (Use one to take a vacation from the other.) Have two Stihl 090s, one Stihl 075, Echo CS8000, Echo 346,  two Homely-ite 27AVs, Peterson 10" Swingblade Winch Production Frame, 36" and 54"Alaskan mills, and a sore back.

Rod

Phil,tell her that if you get a Peterson that you will make a bunch of money from owning it.

That should work

One more question KiwiJake

Does the mill have a place were you might be able to hook up a sawdust hose?

No big deal really,if not I'll just setup on a grate floor and let the sawdust fall through the floor,then use the loader to scoop up the dust.

But I might setup permanent and let the log trucks come to the mill

DanG

Phil, here's what ya do.  Go out and rent a half dozen pianos.Get some big ol' oak logs and put them in the driveway.  Now initiate the following dialogue:

Phil- Honey, I've got all those logs to saw up before you can get the car out of the garage, but I have to tune 6 pianos, so you'll have to do the sawing.

Wife- Huh?

Phil- Really now, gotta go. Love ya!

Wife- B-b-but, I can't handle that chainsaw! :o

Phil-  Well unless you can tune a piano, you'll have to figure it out.  If we had a swing mill, we wouldn't be in this mess. BYE!

After this, she'll go for any kind of mill but a chainsaw. ;D

Trust me. I've been divorced 3 times, and I know what I'm talking about. ::) ::) :D :D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

C_Miller

DanG now I feel compelled to bring up tha age old question.

Howcome you can tune a piano but not tuna fish?  they both got scales you should be able to tune 'em both. :)

On a more serious note (sorry)  I was thinkin to use the swing mill to  1) Break down cant on the loading deck
          2) use it on site in the tight  areas
          3) square up logs for log cabins and  timber frames
          4) can it cut dados for splines?
I'm sure I'll think of more stuff later.

C

CJM

Sven Christiansen

QuoteAlso the reason I like your mill over the other mills is for one I don't have the bandblades to ajust

Also it will produce as may board feet per hour as an LT70 with the Cat motor.

And also the price difference  of about $15,000 more for the LT 70 Cat verses the Peterson
I'd suggest being very careful comparing any swinger's productivity to the LT70.  Apples vs Orange.

Rod

Sven, what do you mean?

Please explain

Thank You Sponsors!